System not running up to par

Ghjnut

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Alright, I'm posting here because I've been dealing with my underperforming system for about a year now. Here's my specs:
Motherboard: Pcchips M916 v1.3A Link
Memory: OCZ Platinum PC3200 Dual Channel
Link
Hard Drive: Western Digital 7,200 RPM 80 GB 8MB Cache
Video Card: Radeon X800 Pro AGP slot
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4C 512 L1 Cache Hyperthreadign enabled
Link
Power Supply: Standard 400 Watt
Cooling: 6 standard fans
Sound: Onboard

The problem is that even with all the settings as low as possible in pretty much all first person shooters (Counterstrike Source, Doom, DOD Source, HL2, Splinter cell pandora tomorrow etc.) I get around a constant 30-40 fps. I did download the ATI control since I couldn't get it to sped up without it. I set all the settings to performance for the default card settings and presto, the frams are up to the 70's and 80's. The prolbem is that after a few days, the frames continually drop until I'm back to where I was before and I need to set all the ATI settings back to maximum quality, then clikc apply, and then set them all back to perfornamce settings and click apply to get my fps back. I also can't turn my motherboard's hyperthreading on without all my games becoming chopping and sticking every few seconds. If anyone has any ideas, i'm open to suggestions. Oh, and yes, I have updated all the drivers for everything.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Alright, I'm posting here because I've been dealing with my underperforming system for about a year now. Here's my specs:
Motherboard: Pcchips M916 v1.3A Link
Memory: OCZ Platinum PC3200 Dual Channel
Link
Hard Drive: Western Digital 7,200 RPM 80 GB 8MB Cache
Video Card: Radeon X800 Pro AGP slot
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4C 512 L1 Cache Hyperthreadign enabled
Link
Power Supply: Standard 400 Watt
Cooling: 6 standard fans
Sound: Onboard

The problem is that even with all the settings as low as possible in pretty much all first person shooters (Counterstrike Source, Doom, DOD Source, HL2, Splinter cell pandora tomorrow etc.) I get around a constant 30-40 fps. I did download the ATI control since I couldn't get it to sped up without it. I set all the settings to performance for the default card settings and presto, the frams are up to the 70's and 80's. The prolbem is that after a few days, the frames continually drop until I'm back to where I was before and I need to set all the ATI settings back to maximum quality, then clikc apply, and then set them all back to perfornamce settings and click apply to get my fps back. I also can't turn my motherboard's hyperthreading on without all my games becoming chopping and sticking every few seconds. If anyone has any ideas, i'm open to suggestions. Oh, and yes, I have updated all the drivers for everything.

1) PCChips motherboards are godawful, so that is possibly 50% of your problem right there.
2) BF2 wants 2GB of RAM to run on high settings at an acceptable rate
3) Not sure an X800 can handle high settings on all of those games, but the drops seem to be the computer "forgetting" its settings almost. Does your time (on the taskbar) randomly reset too?

Ghjnut

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Ya, i thought that the motherboard may be the problem, especially with it not allowing me to hyperthread, I think the ram should be alright since I have seen acceptable performance it just dosnt stick and I've only seen my computer screw the itme up lieke twice, but that could be a sign hey? It's looking like my choice to go generic motherboard is comig back to haunt me hey? ANy suggestions on a socket 478 motherboard that can handle what I got?