PC constantly freezing, help needed quickly please.

gtfan1235

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Ever since I built my PC a few weeks ago, I've has trouble playing games. At first, Battlefield 2 would freeze quite a bit, and it finally quit doing that as much. But whenever I play the Compamy of Heroes Beta, I can't play for more than 2-3 minutes without it freezing, followed by a horrible screeching noise from my speakers. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? Could it be the integrated sound on my mobo is causing it to freeze? Last week I had trouble with that until it finally started working again. Thanks for any help.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
My first recommendation would be to upgrade your sound drivers (if possible) since that seems to be the root of your trouble. If that doesn't seem to help, try upgrading video card drivers. If that doesn't fix it, then I would ask if you are overclocking your system, if so then set it to its defaults and see if that makes any difference . . . There could be one of a hundred things causing problems (including an inadequate Power supply).

You should post the specs for your hardware here and that might give people a better idea how to troubleshoot your system's instabiliy.

gtfan1235

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I've already reinstalled my sound and video drivers, and I haven't even considered to OC my PC. Oh I meant to put my specs, sorry.
AMD x2 3800
eVGA 7900GT KO
1GB PC-3200 RAM
DFI Infinity NF4 Ultra
FSP 450W PSU (31A on 12V)

Do you think a soundcard might fix this? If so, whats a good one for around $70?

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
the audigy 2 ZS is a very good sound card here it is on newegg for around $65

As far as fixing your problems . . . it's possible. Have you checked the support site for the games you are having problems with?

But before you go out and spend the money on a new sound card try a little experiment. Go to your device manager and disable your sound device, then run your games, if you don't crash you've found the source of your problem. If not then we know it's not related to the sound device.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I've already reinstalled my sound and video drivers, and I haven't even considered to OC my PC. Oh I meant to put my specs, sorry.
AMD x2 3800
eVGA 7900GT KO
1GB PC-3200 RAM
DFI Infinity NF4 Ultra

Do you think a soundcard might fix this? If so, whats a good one for around $70?

BF2 wants 2GB of RAM, especially to run on high settings. That might be your problem there. Did you reinstall the nVidia reference drivers or the eVGA ones? Try the other one from what you tried and see what happens.

I highly doubt a sound card would be causing your issues. If you want to test it, go buy a $16 sound card at your local PC shop and see what happens.

gtfan1235

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Ok so it must be the BIOS because disabling the sound did not work. How exactly do I flash the BIOS with an update? And after looking on the DFI site, I don't know which to use. Sorry, I'm not very good with computers past the building of them.
Edit: It seems you need a floppy disk to flash the BIOS, however I don't have a floppy drive? Do I need to buy one?

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
You might also want to check the Event Viewer..

Right-click My Computer
Left-click Manage
once that opens up you should see Event Viewer on the left hand pane, click on it.

You should see an event log for system, expand that and organize by date. I would take a look through there and look for anything with X's or !'s. Sometimes this helps narrow down a software problem such as drivers.

Mondoman

Splendid
I find that having a USB floppy drive is handy for these and similar situations. You can set the boot order in your BIOS to boot from a USB floppy quite easily.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
A lot of newer boards also allow you to flash your bios from a jump drive (also called a pen drive, etc.) These storage devices are much more stable and reliable than floppies, and I would recommend them if you have the option.

It seems that now days most Mobo manufacturers (Asus, Abit, MSI, etc.) have a "live" bios flashing utility that can be used from within windows . . . I've never actually used them, just because I don't fully trust them, but that could also be an option

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
AMD x2 3800
eVGA 7900GT KO
1GB PC-3200 RAM
DFI Infinity NF4 Ultra

BF2 wants 2GB of RAM, especially to run on high settings. That might be your problem there. Did you reinstall the nVidia reference drivers or the eVGA ones? Try the other one from what you tried and see what happens.

I highly doubt a sound card would be causing your issues. If you want to test it, go buy a $16 sound card at your local PC shop and see what happens.

Yeah BF2 needs 2Gb to run smoothly.

Test your rams for error.

Freezing during games with a speaker noise of a continueous beep, usually means somethings wrong with the memory/ram. So you need to check your bios and see if the rams are running at settings as is suppose to be. If not then adjust the frequency and or timings. You can lower the frequency and or widen the timings to make it stable. You can increase voltage of the ram to make it stable.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I had the same problem playing farcry, an extremely loud unbearable screech coming from the speakers. If the bios update doesn't work then try changing some of the audio settings for the game. Once I turned off hardware acceleration it worked fine for me. That may be the problem if that specific game is the only one having a problem.

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
This happens all the time in many games. It's the soundcard. I went out and bought the SB 24 value(whatever they are calling it this month). Problems all dissapeared(except for Tomb Raider: Legend - it has bad code in it/known bugs)

It looks like a $30 card. It's actually a first generation AUDIGY! That is, it will run fast, does all the goodies, and so on - just without the silly recording and i/o options(and trust me 98% of humans over the age of 15 can't hear better than CD quality, so 24/96 is wasted outside of a recording studio).

The problem was that the game has EAX and 3-d audio in it - and it often blows up built-in sound.