Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cheapest Way to Print 500 Envelopes?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 12, 2005 9:27:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

A friend needs to print 500 envelopes for the organization
she belongs to.

Her printer is a Lexmark 1100 printer/scanner/copier, which
she used to print the prototype envelope.

A local print shop charges $ 96.00 for 500 envelopes which
they supply. We haven't priced-shopped other print shops yet.

Office Depot recommended a color laser printer which would be
cheaper than the Lexmark's inkjet cartridges.

Thanks in advance,

--Jerry Leslie
Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email
June 12, 2005 9:27:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Her printer is a Lexmark 1100 printer/scanner/copier, which
> she used to print the prototype envelope.

Everyone, my self included, has a knee jerk reaction to the cost of
Lexmark cartridges. The 1100 uses the 13400HC, a 30ml 600p
(5.7c/p)cart that sells for about $34.00. This isn't as bad as other
Lexmarks, but this is pretty horrible. This is not a great deal but if
your only project is printing 500 envelopes the Lexmark would be
cheaper than $96. The cost per page is very high if you print 500
envelopes often it would be cheaper in the long run to go with a
different printer if we're just talking B&W text. Color well....
another story.

But a color laser just because you want to print envelopes? For 500
envelopes? Are these color envelopes? The entry cost of a color laser
is in the $400 range, the Konica 2400W. For black it is lower cost per
page than the lexmark in all cases. The color, well, the color yield
is pretty low and the price pretty high. $70 * 3 (cyan magenta yellow)
1500p 3x4.6cp. Worth looking into higher end color lasers depending on
how much you plan to use it

But if these are regular ordinary envelopes, there are entry level
lasers at $100 and $200 that would be much cheaper than the Lexmark.

We just had a dialog on the Canon ip3000/ip4000 vs the old HP5p
Laserjet. Both very cost effecitve solutions, but the HP5p is an old
printer. For the most part, you can get the black for the Canon localy
OEM for about $12 per 500p black. Just about any laser OEM is going to
run you about $75 per 3000, 4000, 5000p depending on model black. Both
have 3rd party options for refills, one which actually made the Canon
cheaper to operate.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printe...
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:27:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1118600845.353859.31030@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Her printer is a Lexmark 1100 printer/scanner/copier, which
>> she used to print the prototype envelope.
>
> Everyone, my self included, has a knee jerk reaction to the cost of
> Lexmark cartridges. The 1100 uses the 13400HC, a 30ml 600p
> (5.7c/p)cart that sells for about $34.00. This isn't as bad as other
> Lexmarks, but this is pretty horrible.

If you are just printing addresses on the envelopes the ink coverage would be
less than 1/10th a normal "page", so the above page yeild should be far
exceeded in printing envelopes, maybe several thousand envelopes per cartridge
or more. Feed and paper haddling may still be an issue, but ink usage should
be rather minimal.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
Related resources
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:19:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Well it sounds to me that you should use the Lexmark since you've got it
already and report back on how many envelopes you got on the first
cartridge. That will give you a hint as to what you should expect for the
rest of the job if you do it yourself. By the way how much do 500 white
envelopes run these days?

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
or
jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
"leslie" <LESLIE@JRLVAX.HOUSTON.RR.COM> wrote in message
news:Kf_qe.39961$j51.37824@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>A friend needs to print 500 envelopes for the organization
> she belongs to.
>
> Her printer is a Lexmark 1100 printer/scanner/copier, which
> she used to print the prototype envelope.
>
> A local print shop charges $ 96.00 for 500 envelopes which
> they supply. We haven't priced-shopped other print shops yet.
>
> Office Depot recommended a color laser printer which would be
> cheaper than the Lexmark's inkjet cartridges.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Jerry Leslie
> Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email
June 12, 2005 11:26:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> If you are just printing addresses on the envelopes the ink coverage would be
> less than 1/10th a normal "page"

I thought it was agreed upon that 1/20th or 5% was the agreed upon
amount. But I don't have an accurate envelope count, and for all I
know the OP wants to do color envelopes. On the one hand, I am
somewhat pleased someone at Office Depot is nice enough to explain that
Lexmarks are so costly to print with, but on the other hand they can't
tell you "how costly" or rather reccomend a color laser.

On the one hand I agree with you, the lexmark would likely do the job
without needing a refill if doing a series of simple envelopes. On the
other hand, anyone who plans to print more than 5 reams of paper a year
would be better served looking at more cost effective solutions, and
might be worth buying a $100 printer to do the job and as a bonus own
something that has lower long term costs.

> Feed and paper haddling may still be an issue, but ink usage should
> be rather minimal.

As far as the feed goes, wisdom from someone who actually does
envelopes would be useful. But since most printer companies are
pushing their photo paper in sizes as small as 4x6 single feeding of
envelopes shouldn't be much of a bother in inkjets. I've not met a
printer that can't handle at least single feeding of #10 envelopes.
Shorter length ones, it disapointed me that and older deskjet 800
series had no problems what so ever yet the psc950 didn't do it with
ease, but had no problem with the epson r200 nor the canon mp760...
yet. Some entry level lasers I enjoyed jams on small envelopes though.
But I've not had to do 500 envelopes at a time.
June 13, 2005 12:04:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Cheapest way?
> Typewriter.

Is it? This might be true for a fabric ribbon but it might not be true
for a carbon ribbon. Sure some are $5.00 a pop, but how many
characters per ribbon?
June 13, 2005 12:48:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Why not print onto labels?

I'm sure the addressees are all in a database that has some kind of sort
function. This is the way I'd approach it. If you mess up a label or two at
least you haven't sacrificed the envelope as well.
June 13, 2005 12:50:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Having read the original post again I have probably mis intepreted your
request. Do you want envelopes decorated with a logo rather than addressee
details? If so then excuse me and forget I ever typed......
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:12:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Cheapest way?
Typewriter.


"leslie" <LESLIE@JRLVAX.HOUSTON.RR.COM> wrote in message
news:Kf_qe.39961$j51.37824@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> A friend needs to print 500 envelopes for the organization
> she belongs to.
>
> Her printer is a Lexmark 1100 printer/scanner/copier, which
> she used to print the prototype envelope.
>
> A local print shop charges $ 96.00 for 500 envelopes which
> they supply. We haven't priced-shopped other print shops yet.
>
> Office Depot recommended a color laser printer which would be
> cheaper than the Lexmark's inkjet cartridges.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Jerry Leslie
> Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email
June 13, 2005 5:32:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> A long time ago I had an HP 4P laser which had a front feed to give it a
> straight paper path and it worked a little bit, but the other lasers I've
> had starting with an HP IIIP didn't do well at all with envelopes. The other
> lasers were Lexmark Optra S 1650 and 1850, HP 5000 (a fantastic laser for
> anything except envelopes) and the little Lexmark E312 I now have. The E312
> is passable, but the Canon inkjets are much better for envelopes.

I remember my HP II did have soso results, a slight curve to them. My
TI microlaser seemed to do a much better job, but I was more pleased
with the results from just about any inkjet. My thoughts were that
there was no chance in heck that rain would affect the ledgibility
using my laser, which was an issue on my PSC 950 but seems to be less
so on my Canon IP3000. I've been using on of my first printouts as an
iced latté coaster, while the black ink is running a little it's still
ledgible.

I was just reading up on the 2400W Color Laser Printer, which is likely
the model Office Depot is pushing. "To print an envelope, you have to
take out all the paper, put in your envelope, move the slide, open the
top, move two levers, close the top, and print. When you are done,
reverse the process" --random disgruntled user posting this everywhere
The two levers they are talking about is the fuser seperator which, in
theory, would resolve the pinching issue Ron was talking about. It
might sound like a pain but sounds to me like the output is less likely
to be crumpled or curved. But the bad part is the user manual says
only 10 #10 envelopes at a time depending on the thickness. Oddly
enough the same amount is claimed for the HP 3500 costing $750. But
either a $400 printer or a $750 printer seems like overkill for one
500p job unless the person wants a new spiffy printer. But I know
nothing about this printer other than it's sold localy.
June 13, 2005 5:33:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

leslie wrote:
> A friend needs to print 500 envelopes for the organization
> she belongs to.
>
> Her printer is a Lexmark 1100 printer/scanner/copier, which
> she used to print the prototype envelope.
>
> A local print shop charges $ 96.00 for 500 envelopes which
> they supply. We haven't priced-shopped other print shops yet.
>
> Office Depot recommended a color laser printer which would be
> cheaper than the Lexmark's inkjet cartridges.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Jerry Leslie
> Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Get some printable labels and put the addresses on those.

You're probably only talking about half a dozen sheets. That
shouldn't cost over a buck.

--
The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
June 13, 2005 9:12:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Binky (binky@binkynet.com) wrote:
: Having read the original post again I have probably mis intepreted your
: request. Do you want envelopes decorated with a logo rather than addressee
: details? If so then excuse me and forget I ever typed......
:

IIRC, the printing is a request for donations. I don't recall whether
there were any graphics.
June 13, 2005 9:16:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Binky (binky@binkynet.com) wrote:
: Why not print onto labels?
:
: I'm sure the addressees are all in a database that has some kind of sort
: function. This is the way I'd approach it. If you mess up a label or two at
: least you haven't sacrificed the envelope as well.
:
:
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that option until after the original post.
June 13, 2005 9:21:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Jan Alter (bearpuf@verizon.net) wrote:
: Well it sounds to me that you should use the Lexmark since you've got it
: already and report back on how many envelopes you got on the first
: cartridge. That will give you a hint as to what you should expect for the
: rest of the job if you do it yourself.

Thanks.

: By the way how much do 500 white envelopes run these days?
:

$ 4.78 at Office Depot:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B5EE12F3B
Office Depot® White Wove Envelopes, #10 (4 1/8" x 9 1/2"), 24 Lb,
White, Box Of 500 at Office Depot.

The original link, wrapped to 2 lines:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=844555&...
An=browse
Office Depot® White Wove Envelopes, #10 (4 1/8" x 9 1/2"), 24 Lb,
White, Box Of 500 at Office Depot.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:18:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1118629610.277936.251310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

<snipped>
> As far as the feed goes, wisdom from someone who actually does
> envelopes would be useful. But since most printer companies are
> pushing their photo paper in sizes as small as 4x6 single feeding of
> envelopes shouldn't be much of a bother in inkjets. I've not met a
> printer that can't handle at least single feeding of #10 envelopes.
> Shorter length ones, it disapointed me that and older deskjet 800
> series had no problems what so ever yet the psc950 didn't do it with
> ease, but had no problem with the epson r200 nor the canon mp760...
> yet. Some entry level lasers I enjoyed jams on small envelopes though.
> But I've not had to do 500 envelopes at a time.
>

First, I need to say that I've owned three offset print shops and am now
retired from that industry. At the quoted price for 500 envelopes, the OP
must surely want multiple colors and possibly very close registration. If
not, they are being ripped off big time. As to printing using an inkjet or
laser. I've tried doing envelopes with lasers in the past and haven't been
pleased with the results. The envelopes are under too much pressure at the
fusing station and frequently get curled, crinkled or otherwise damaged.
OTH, top feed inkjets can do a pretty good job on envelopes and do them cost
effectively for shorter runs such as 500. The more complex the logo, the
more it would cost if offset printed, but from an inkjet, the only added
cost would be the small amount of ink required for the logo. I still print a
lot of envelopes using inkjets (usually addresses for wedding invitations
and other bulk mailings, but also return addresses w/logo's on occasion). It
doesn't really matter as the process is the same. Because envelopes are
plain paper, the colors may not come out as vivid as with offset, but if
cost is a factor inkjets are the way to go for short runs. For the past few
years I've used a variety of Canon S, I and Pixma inkjets and all feed
envelopes quite easily and with excellent registration. My iP4000 can handle
15 #10's at a time without a problem. If you don't mind feeding envelopes to
the printer for an extended period using a top feed inkjet would be a cost
effective method. The iP4000 (and all the Canon's I have) can handle any
size envelope up to the size limits of the printer.
-
Ron
June 13, 2005 10:39:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Ron - my HP5P laser printer handles most envelopes quite well. There is a
drop-down top feed tray in the front and a drop-down tray in the back to
permit a straight paper path. Most envelopes print well on this printer
with a minimum of curl which subsequently flattens out when several are
stacked together. Even the really cheap ones do well. The glue tends to
stick very lightly and opens easily. Printing return addresses on the back
flap of some envelopes can be a problem as envelopes feed at the narrow edge
and the flap can cause a jam. It is an old printer (oldie but goodie) and
is not the fastest. I have had it for about 8 years with moderate home
office use without a minute of downtime. I have done 50 - 100 envelopes at
a time and can stack four or five without a jam. My i960 Canon can handle
printing on the back flap better on certain envelopes and doesn't tend to
jam for backside printing as I can feed the envelope at the long edge at the
fold of the flap.

"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
news:Xy9re.355$Nz2.237@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1118629610.277936.251310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>
> <snipped>
>> As far as the feed goes, wisdom from someone who actually does
>> envelopes would be useful. But since most printer companies are
>> pushing their photo paper in sizes as small as 4x6 single feeding of
>> envelopes shouldn't be much of a bother in inkjets. I've not met a
>> printer that can't handle at least single feeding of #10 envelopes.
>> Shorter length ones, it disapointed me that and older deskjet 800
>> series had no problems what so ever yet the psc950 didn't do it with
>> ease, but had no problem with the epson r200 nor the canon mp760...
>> yet. Some entry level lasers I enjoyed jams on small envelopes though.
>> But I've not had to do 500 envelopes at a time.
>>
>
> First, I need to say that I've owned three offset print shops and am now
> retired from that industry. At the quoted price for 500 envelopes, the OP
> must surely want multiple colors and possibly very close registration. If
> not, they are being ripped off big time. As to printing using an inkjet or
> laser. I've tried doing envelopes with lasers in the past and haven't been
> pleased with the results. The envelopes are under too much pressure at the
> fusing station and frequently get curled, crinkled or otherwise damaged.
> OTH, top feed inkjets can do a pretty good job on envelopes and do them
> cost effectively for shorter runs such as 500. The more complex the logo,
> the more it would cost if offset printed, but from an inkjet, the only
> added cost would be the small amount of ink required for the logo. I still
> print a lot of envelopes using inkjets (usually addresses for wedding
> invitations and other bulk mailings, but also return addresses w/logo's on
> occasion). It doesn't really matter as the process is the same. Because
> envelopes are plain paper, the colors may not come out as vivid as with
> offset, but if cost is a factor inkjets are the way to go for short runs.
> For the past few years I've used a variety of Canon S, I and Pixma inkjets
> and all feed envelopes quite easily and with excellent registration. My
> iP4000 can handle 15 #10's at a time without a problem. If you don't mind
> feeding envelopes to the printer for an extended period using a top feed
> inkjet would be a cost effective method. The iP4000 (and all the Canon's I
> have) can handle any size envelope up to the size limits of the printer.
> -
> Ron
>
>
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 11:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

A long time ago I had an HP 4P laser which had a front feed to give it a
straight paper path and it worked a little bit, but the other lasers I've
had starting with an HP IIIP didn't do well at all with envelopes. The other
lasers were Lexmark Optra S 1650 and 1850, HP 5000 (a fantastic laser for
anything except envelopes) and the little Lexmark E312 I now have. The E312
is passable, but the Canon inkjets are much better for envelopes.

When printing on the back flaps (as with A2, A6 or wedding invitation
envelopes), I find it advisable to open the flap so the envelope has a
little less thickness and then feed the envelope from the bottom edge. This
also makes it possible to print a mailing address on the front side and a
return address or message on the flap with one pass. The only time I don't
open the flaps is when the envelopes have to be fed from the short edge due
to the physical limitations of the printer, i.e. #10's are too long to be
fed from the long edge and must be fed from the short side.
--
Ron

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:D S9re.27427$J12.7462@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Ron - my HP5P laser printer handles most envelopes quite well. There is a
> drop-down top feed tray in the front and a drop-down tray in the back to
> permit a straight paper path. Most envelopes print well on this printer
> with a minimum of curl which subsequently flattens out when several are
> stacked together. Even the really cheap ones do well. The glue tends to
> stick very lightly and opens easily. Printing return addresses on the
> back flap of some envelopes can be a problem as envelopes feed at the
> narrow edge and the flap can cause a jam. It is an old printer (oldie but
> goodie) and is not the fastest. I have had it for about 8 years with
> moderate home office use without a minute of downtime. I have done 50 -
> 100 envelopes at a time and can stack four or five without a jam. My i960
> Canon can handle printing on the back flap better on certain envelopes and
> doesn't tend to jam for backside printing as I can feed the envelope at
> the long edge at the fold of the flap.
June 13, 2005 8:14:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I also had a 3P. As I recall, it didn't have the rear drop-down deck and
required that the envelope make a U-turn after printing. It munched
envelopes. Maybe I am describing the 2P??? I had a succession of the P
series printers after my Toshiba dot matrix printers with the best
near-letter-quality printing for its time died.
"Ron Cohen" <d+r+c+0+2+3@sbcXXXglobalYYY.ZZZnet> wrote in message
news:qvare.504$ks4.3@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>A long time ago I had an HP 4P laser which had a front feed to give it a
>straight paper path and it worked a little bit, but the other lasers I've
>had starting with an HP IIIP didn't do well at all with envelopes. The
>other lasers were Lexmark Optra S 1650 and 1850, HP 5000 (a fantastic laser
>for anything except envelopes) and the little Lexmark E312 I now have. The
>E312 is passable, but the Canon inkjets are much better for envelopes.
>
> When printing on the back flaps (as with A2, A6 or wedding invitation
> envelopes), I find it advisable to open the flap so the envelope has a
> little less thickness and then feed the envelope from the bottom edge.
> This also makes it possible to print a mailing address on the front side
> and a return address or message on the flap with one pass. The only time I
> don't open the flaps is when the envelopes have to be fed from the short
> edge due to the physical limitations of the printer, i.e. #10's are too
> long to be fed from the long edge and must be fed from the short side.
> --
> Ron
>
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:D S9re.27427$J12.7462@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>> Ron - my HP5P laser printer handles most envelopes quite well. There is
>> a drop-down top feed tray in the front and a drop-down tray in the back
>> to permit a straight paper path. Most envelopes print well on this
>> printer with a minimum of curl which subsequently flattens out when
>> several are stacked together. Even the really cheap ones do well. The
>> glue tends to stick very lightly and opens easily. Printing return
>> addresses on the back flap of some envelopes can be a problem as
>> envelopes feed at the narrow edge and the flap can cause a jam. It is an
>> old printer (oldie but goodie) and is not the fastest. I have had it for
>> about 8 years with moderate home office use without a minute of downtime.
>> I have done 50 - 100 envelopes at a time and can stack four or five
>> without a jam. My i960 Canon can handle printing on the back flap better
>> on certain envelopes and doesn't tend to jam for backside printing as I
>> can feed the envelope at the long edge at the fold of the flap.
>
>
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:13:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

The 2p and 3p look the same. The difference was under the covers, but the
paper path was identical. I got the 3p in 1992 and at $900.00 which included
a proprietary memory card it certainly wasn't a throw away printer. Four
pages a minute is top speed, but the thing will never wear out. Times have
changed.
--
Ron

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:jhire.458$NU5.363@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>I also had a 3P. As I recall, it didn't have the rear drop-down deck and
>required that the envelope make a U-turn after printing. It munched
>envelopes. Maybe I am describing the 2P??? I had a succession of the P
>series printers after my Toshiba dot matrix printers with the best
>near-letter-quality printing for its time died.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Another possibility is to use envelopes with cutouts that let the
address on the letter inside show through. Cut out might be covered
with cellophane or might just be 'missing'.


leslie wrote:
> A friend needs to print 500 envelopes for the organization
> she belongs to.
>
> Her printer is a Lexmark 1100 printer/scanner/copier, which
> she used to print the prototype envelope.
>
> A local print shop charges $ 96.00 for 500 envelopes which
> they supply. We haven't priced-shopped other print shops yet.
>
> Office Depot recommended a color laser printer which would be
> cheaper than the Lexmark's inkjet cartridges.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --Jerry Leslie
> Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 3:07:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Window envelopes are extremely expensive -- about 5 times the
cost of the standard type.

Bennett Price wrote:
> Another possibility is to use envelopes with cutouts that let the
> address on the letter inside show through. Cut out might be covered
> with cellophane or might just be 'missing'.
June 17, 2005 4:12:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In message <d8pjoq$gvq$1@roundup.shout.net>, Mike Berger
<berger@shout.net> writes
>Window envelopes are extremely expensive -- about 5 times the
>cost of the standard type.

Eh? From where? I would have said about 10%

--
Timothy
!