Ghosting Servers

Des

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi

I am an IT Administrator in a Customer Contact Centre. We have got 2
DC's onsite which are Dell Power Edge 2650's and 2 Cache Severs which
are Dell Power Edge 6650's and 1 Backup Server which is a Dell Power
Edge 1750. These all connect through a SAN. We have also recently
installed 5 Call Recording Servers which are HP ProLiant DL 360 G3's.
and they each operate with 2 SCSI RAID Disks mirrored for redundancy.
We use Symantec Norton Ghost Ver 7 and would like to take a Backup of
these Servers if possible for quicker disaster recovery purposes. My
main concern is that Ghost generically uses a Bootup Disk which assigns
the NIC on the Server with a static IP Address in the same subnet as
the designated Ghost Server so that you can Dump an Image to this
server. If this is the case then surely this would change the already
statically assigned IP Address of the Servers and upset any Networking
Relationship that they have with other systems in our Network. My other
concern is with compatibility with RAID. Any help on this matter would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

"Des" <d_mc_alister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> main concern is that Ghost generically uses a Bootup Disk which assigns
> the NIC on the Server with a static IP Address in the same subnet as
> the designated Ghost Server so that you can Dump an Image to this
> server.

No. It can also be using DHCP,....and No,..it can be in different subnets
with the Ghost Server. You can also specify the IP# of the Server when
choosing the session to avoid worrying about it finding it on its own.

> statically assigned IP Address of the Servers and upset any Networking
> Relationship that they have with other systems in our Network.

No it won't. IP Settings are OS Specific,...Ghost is running in DOS off of
a floppy. There is no effect on the machines real OS.

> My other concern is with compatibility with RAID. Any help on this matter
> would be greatly appreciated.

Usually doesn't matter. Ghost neither "sees" or even "cares" what hardware
is running underneath it most of the time. Just try it,...it will either
work and see the drives,..or it won't.

Also instead of worrying about what Nic is in the server and trying to find
and setup the right nic driver on the floppy,...I always carry a Nic card
with the floppy that already has the drivers for it on the floppy. I power
off the machine, insert the card, run Ghost and do the imaging, power off
the machine, remove the Nic, power back up. The Machines OS will never know
that the extra nic was ever there,..just don't start the main OS up with the
card still in it.

I run Ghost with HP LH3 Netservers with the built in RAID Rack all the time.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

New versions of cloning tools support imaging on-line but Ghost 7 is okay in
any configuration, just update the images every 30 days. Dell's PERC and
Compaq's SmartArray controllers are compatible with Ghost Adaptec drivers
otherwise you should look up its DOS drivers.