HP 375 Photo Printer, a Major Disappointment

After several months of reading conflicting reviews on this printer,
and not really able to tell very much from the samples at BB, I took
an average of the reviews and decided the printer might be adequate,
and that I'd like to try one. Consumers Reports and Steve's Digicam
had given it very good reviews, Steve's even saying that the quality
would come close to professional print quality. (I doubted this since
I was aware that dye-sub runs rings around inkjet, and I would be
able to spot the ink dots.)
My basic complaint is this. Despite pushing brightness all the
way and using the "flash" setting to optimize contrast/brightness,
I have yet to see a true white! All the results look flat,
underexposed, and have no punch at all. Even a scene shot after a
snowstorm in bright daylight does not have any really true whites,
they all seem to be a very light grey. (I must add these images all
look perfectly balanced when viewed on a computer. Also there is
excellent sharpness.)
Has anyone else had this experience? If no one can suggest
a remedy (or if you think the printer might be defective) I am
prepared to send it back to Newegg for a refund and eat the 15%
restocking fee.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

"frank1492" <frank1492@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> After several months of reading conflicting reviews on this printer,
> and not really able to tell very much from the samples at BB, I took
> an average of the reviews and decided the printer might be adequate,
> and that I'd like to try one.
[snip]
> My basic complaint is this. Despite pushing brightness all the
> way and using the "flash" setting to optimize contrast/brightness,
> I have yet to see a true white! All the results look flat,
> underexposed, and have no punch at all. Even a scene shot after a
> snowstorm in bright daylight does not have any really true whites,
> they all seem to be a very light grey. (I must add these images all
> look perfectly balanced when viewed on a computer. Also there is
> excellent sharpness.)

Hmm.... Inkjet printers do not print white, they let the white media show
through in areas not printed. What paper are you printing on? Are you
selecting the proper paper type in the driver? Printing on photo paper with
plain paper selected in the driver would result in underexposed, flat prints.

Regards,

zakezuke

> I am not using a computer so there is no paper setting.

There should be. Don't know the hp 375 personaly but I do have a HP
psc 950. Even when printing from memory cards or doing a color photo
copy there are options for paper type. It's limited to HP premium
glossy, glossy, plain paper, that sort of thing.

"Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> "Printing on photo paper with
> plain paper selected in the driver would result in underexposed, flat
> prints."
>
> Maybe. It's about equally possible that the photo paper can absorb either
> more or less ink than the plain paper. In general , one might expect that
> plain uncoated paper will absorb more ink, due to the wicking and spreading
> that takes place.

What one might expect and what the printer does may be entirely different.
Photo paper typically has ability to hold more ink well than plain paper. As
you note plain paper may wick and spread the ink. To make good print quality
on plain paper less ink is deposited to prevent bleedthrough, wicking and other
issues. The result on photo paper (with plain paper settings) would be not
enough ink, with a flat looking print.

Regards,

zakezuke

> I have looked carefully at the manual with the many setup
> instructions and see nothing that relates to a driver setting
> for paper type. (I wish I were wrong!)

Wow, you could be right. I would expect in the same menu sequence when
you select draft normal or best that you could also select plain paper,
premium glossy/semi/ or generic glossy. The website says it doesn't
auto sense the paper, and the only reference to the users guide to
plain paper is when you align the printer.

Looks like your only choice is to pick other paper and see the results
in normal and best modes

Bob-
I am using the paper that was supplied with the printer- have
printed 5 prints,

> Bob-
> I am using the paper that was supplied with the printer- have
> printed 5 prints,
> I am not using a computer so there is no paper setting.
> Frank

OK, I was confused by your comment about the digital flash, I had forgotten
that that is available in the standalone menu. What you describe is not normal
for this printer

I do not know of any paper normally supplied with the printer. What is the
paper type? (part number?) Either HP Premium Photo Paper, Glossy or HP Premium
Plus Photo paper should give excellent results. Are you in the US? If so you
can email me a picture and I will print it on the above papers with my PS 375
and mail it back to you with a few extra sheets of each paper. You may email
me directly at mailto:bobh@proaxis.com, send me the pic and your address.

Regards,

On 12 Jun 2005 20:08:45 -0700, "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> I am not using a computer so there is no paper setting.
>
>There should be. Don't know the hp 375 personaly but I do have a HP
>psc 950. Even when printing from memory cards or doing a color photo
>copy there are options for paper type. It's limited to HP premium
>glossy, glossy, plain paper, that sort of thing.

Thanks Bob and others.
Bob: I will make duplicate prints at the drugstore and see what
they look like before e-mailing the files to you for printing.
Will keep you posted.
Again thanks very much for offering to help me track down this
problem.
Frank