Differences between XP Home and XP Pro

Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS XP website
but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by side comparison between
the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to know the
differences, probably because the products are very similar. Anyway, if
anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL of a document
explaining the differences, I would be extemely grateful.
15 answers Last reply
More about differences home

    In news:BD056F74-F02F-4A32-93B8-4389C67C1B2E@microsoft.com,
    KunK <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the
    > technical
    > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS
    > XP
    > website but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by
    > side
    > comparison between the two.

    XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
    except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
    networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
    all) home users, these features aren't needed, would never be
    used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste of
    money.

    For details go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    XP Home is a subset of Pro. Here is the comparison page for all four
    versions of XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
    > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS XP website
    > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by side comparison
    > between
    > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to know the
    > differences, probably because the products are very similar. Anyway, if
    > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL of a document
    > explaining the differences, I would be extemely grateful.

    Kunk,
    The main operational difference is that Windows backup is no installed in XP
    Home. However, a subset of the backup program can be installed from your
    installation disk. Go to page three of this PDF:
    http://www.myscacc.org/Newsletters/0409News.pdf

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > XP Home is a subset of Pro. Here is the comparison page for all four
    > versions of XP:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx
    >
    > "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
    > > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS XP website
    > > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by side comparison
    > > between
    > > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to know the
    > > differences, probably because the products are very similar. Anyway, if
    > > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL of a document
    > > explaining the differences, I would be extemely grateful.

    XP Pro is designed for an office environment. It can join
    domains, it support 10 connections (5 for Home) and has more
    security and management features built-in. It has more
    language support. But either program will run applications
    the same way because they are not just very similar, at
    heart they are identical.

    see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    | Kunk,
    | The main operational difference is that Windows backup is
    no installed in XP
    | Home. However, a subset of the backup program can be
    installed from your
    | installation disk. Go to page three of this PDF:
    | http://www.myscacc.org/Newsletters/0409News.pdf
    |
    | "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    |
    | > XP Home is a subset of Pro. Here is the comparison page
    for all four
    | > versions of XP:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    | > "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | > > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is
    the technical
    | > > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have
    searched the MS XP website
    | > > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by
    side comparison
    | > > between
    | > > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people
    to know the
    | > > differences, probably because the products are very
    similar. Anyway, if
    | > > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a
    URL of a document
    | > > explaining the differences, I would be extemely
    grateful.

    Hi,

    The core operating system is the same. Differences:

    - WinXP Pro will allow 10 inbound connections, Home only 5
    - Pro has policy editors (useful in a corporate environment)
    - Pro has IIS (useful if you build server apps)
    - Pro can become part of a domain (another corporate use)
    - Both use simple file sharing by default, but it can only be disabled in
    Pro
    - Firewall and file security between users is the same
    - Encrypted file system is only available in Pro

    If you need any of the benefits of a Pro system, then go with it. Otherwise,
    most home users are happy with XP Home.

    More details:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
    > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS XP website
    > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by side comparison
    > between
    > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to know the
    > differences, probably because the products are very similar. Anyway, if
    > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL of a document
    > explaining the differences, I would be extemely grateful.

    Here you go:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx
    (Google search: "Compare XP Pro Home")

    KunK wrote:
    > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
    > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS XP
    > website but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by side
    > comparison between the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want
    > people to know the differences, probably because the products are
    > very similar. Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction,
    > maybe a URL of a document explaining the differences, I would be
    > extemely grateful.

    The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro versions are _identical_ when it
    comes to performance, stability, and device driver and software
    application compatibility, but are intended to meet different
    functionality, networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in
    different environments. The most significant differences are that
    WinXP Pro allows up to 10 simultaneous inbound network connections
    while WinXP Home only allows only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a
    Microsoft domain while WinXP Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports
    file encryption and IIS. (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100
    USD more than WinXP Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Chuck Davis wrote:
    > Kunk,
    > The main operational difference is that Windows backup is no
    > installed in XP Home.

    I'd have to say that that is one of the least significant of the
    differences.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Kunk,
    > The main operational difference is that Windows backup is no installed in
    > XP
    > Home. However, a subset of the backup program can be installed from your
    > installation disk. Go to page three of this PDF:
    > http://www.myscacc.org/Newsletters/0409News.pdf

    Chuck it is not a subset of the backup program - the NTBackup that is
    shipped with Windows XP Professional is the same as the one that ships with
    Windows XP Home

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "=?Utf-8?B?S3VuSw==?=" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
    > differences between XP Home and XP Pro??

    About $100.00!

    Sorry, couldn't resist and I see the question is answered elsewhere...

    My greatest concern is the use of Home on laptops. Because Home does not
    allow encryption I think it is an unwise choice and urge the use of Pro
    instead.

    "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
    > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS XP website
    > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by side comparison
    > between
    > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to know the
    > differences, probably because the products are very similar. Anyway, if
    > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL of a document
    > explaining the differences, I would be extemely grateful.

    Lots of companies also "recommend XP Pro" but you'll notice
    that most of the computers shown in ads on the same page as
    the recommendation have XP Home simply because it makes the
    price LOOK lower.
    In the same way, ten years ago many computer makers/sellers
    bundled OFFICE SBE with a computer because then you had an
    operating system and applications and could do something
    right out of the box. But that added cost to the bottom
    line and probably turned a few customers away. So today you
    have to be a careful reader of spec sheets before you buy.
    Unfortunately, reading seems to be not well stressed in
    education.

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    | My greatest concern is the use of Home on laptops.
    Because Home does not
    | allow encryption I think it is an unwise choice and urge
    the use of Pro
    | instead.
    |
    | "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the
    technical
    | > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched
    the MS XP website
    | > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by
    side comparison
    | > between
    | > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to
    know the
    | > differences, probably because the products are very
    similar. Anyway, if
    | > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL
    of a document
    | > explaining the differences, I would be extemely
    grateful.

    I agree. My real beef is that the OEM's bundle Home on laptops and then
    refuse to give support unless you stick with Home. I upgraded my laptop to
    Pro (because I thought Home less secure and that is an issue with laptops
    since most get used with wireless at some point) and Compaq refused to
    support the computer at all. They have the right to do that but it is not
    good customer relations. It is a false economy on their part.

    > Lots of companies also "recommend XP Pro" but you'll notice
    > that most of the computers shown in ads on the same page as
    > the recommendation have XP Home simply because it makes the
    > price LOOK lower.
    > In the same way, ten years ago many computer makers/sellers
    > bundled OFFICE SBE with a computer because then you had an
    > operating system and applications and could do something
    > right out of the box. But that added cost to the bottom
    > line and probably turned a few customers away. So today you
    > have to be a careful reader of spec sheets before you buy.
    > Unfortunately, reading seems to be not well stressed in
    > education.

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > | My greatest concern is the use of Home on laptops.
    > Because Home does not
    > | allow encryption I think it is an unwise choice and urge
    > the use of Pro
    > | instead.
    > |
    > | "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the
    > technical
    > | > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched
    > the MS XP website
    > | > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by
    > side comparison
    > | > between
    > | > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to
    > know the
    > | > differences, probably because the products are very
    > similar. Anyway, if
    > | > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL
    > of a document
    > | > explaining the differences, I would be extemely
    > grateful.

    They really need to make an upgrade to Pro an item of
    prominence in their ads... I general Dell will upgrade to
    Pro for about $80...but you have to look for it or ask on
    the telephone, they don't seem to push it, even though they
    have blurb in their ads.

    |I agree. My real beef is that the OEM's bundle Home on
    laptops and then
    | refuse to give support unless you stick with Home. I
    upgraded my laptop to
    | Pro (because I thought Home less secure and that is an
    issue with laptops
    | since most get used with wireless at some point) and
    Compaq refused to
    | support the computer at all. They have the right to do
    that but it is not
    | good customer relations. It is a false economy on their
    part.

    in message
    | > Lots of companies also "recommend XP Pro" but you'll
    notice
    | > that most of the computers shown in ads on the same page
    as
    | > the recommendation have XP Home simply because it makes
    the
    | > price LOOK lower.
    | > In the same way, ten years ago many computer
    makers/sellers
    | > bundled OFFICE SBE with a computer because then you had
    an
    | > operating system and applications and could do something
    | > right out of the box. But that added cost to the bottom
    | > line and probably turned a few customers away. So today
    you
    | > have to be a careful reader of spec sheets before you
    buy.
    | > Unfortunately, reading seems to be not well stressed in
    | > education.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in
    message
    | > | My greatest concern is the use of Home on laptops.
    | > Because Home does not
    | > | allow encryption I think it is an unwise choice and
    urge
    | > the use of Pro
    | > | instead.
    | > |
    | > | "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | > |
    | > technical
    searched
    | > the MS XP website
    | > side comparison
    people to
    | > know the
    | > similar. Anyway, if
    URL
    | > of a document
    | > grateful.
    | > |
    | > |

    One thing that Home DOESN'T have is support for Netware Client. I needed an
    IPX connection and lost out!

    Peter

    "KunK" <KunK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, this may seem like a simple question, but wtf is the technical
    > differences between XP Home and XP Pro?? I have searched the MS XP website
    > but for the life of me I cant seem to find a side by side comparison
    > between
    > the two. Its almost like Microsoft doesnt want people to know the
    > differences, probably because the products are very similar. Anyway, if
    > anyone can point me in the right direction, maybe a URL of a document
    > explaining the differences, I would be extemely grateful.

Microsoft Windows XP