Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Hi all,

Anyone know the codes returned by NTBACKUP? .. Like if I were to execute
NTBACKUP from a batch file and wanted to find the return value after
NTBACKUP finished?

TIA

-BB

Brian Burgess wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone know the codes returned by NTBACKUP? .. Like if I were to execute
> NTBACKUP from a batch file and wanted to find the return value after
> NTBACKUP finished?

You already did a google search ?

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=ntbackup&as_oq=errorcode%20errorlevel%20returncode&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin

--
Gruesse Greetings Saludos Saluti Salutations
Matthias

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

As someone else said, don't post here unless you have googled first!

Microsoft says:

The Backup tool (Ntbackup.exe) may not return correct program exit codes.
The expected behavior is to return a zero (0) exit code when a program
starts and runs successfully, and a non-zero exit code when there is a
problem.

Currently, the Backup tool may return a zero (0) exit code even when there
is a problem. The Backup tool will return a non-zero error code only when it
encounters a catastrophic failure, such as an out of memory failure. A
missing device, missing media, or even a backup failure will still return a
zero (0) exit code.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260327

Roland Giesler
Stellenbosch
South Africa

"Brian Burgess" <bburgess66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone know the codes returned by NTBACKUP? .. Like if I were to execute
> NTBACKUP from a batch file and wanted to find the return value after
> NTBACKUP finished?
>
> TIA
>
> -BB

jmb

RG, did you bother to read BG's question and the MS link you inappropriateky flamed him with? They're completely unrelated. NWAH

Did you bother to notice that the last post was dated 1/16/2005 before flaming RG (who will probably never read your post)?