A good budget soundcard?

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
What's the best budget soundcard? I'm looking for something in the $50 range mainly to be used for music and games, but would be willing to go up to $75.

I'd like it to support at least 5.1 channels and some digital audio format (DTZ, DD Live, etc.). I would also love for some type of digital out (either coaxle or optical).

I've looked at the AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE7.1 and the Diamond Xtremesound 7.1. They both have great features and cost about the same after rebates/discounts at Newegg.

I'm open to any other cards though as I'm not too informed on this subject.

axemurderer83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
creative labs audigy 2 zs. i believe it's around $70 on newegg right now. it's got everything you want-- I've bought 2 and they are rock solid. great for gaming, too.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
There's definately cards out there but with a $75 ceiling choices get tight for included S/PDIF digital I/O.

Well, my mobo does have coaxle out.. if I get a soundcard, can I use that coaxle output with my soundcard? Like, can I have my soundcard output via my mobo's coaxle?

creative labs audigy 2 zs. i believe it's around $70 on newegg right now. it's got everything you want-- I've bought 2 and they are rock solid. great for gaming, too.

Are you talking about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178

If yes, how does the digital audio output work? I don't see a spot for optical or coaxle...

halcyon

Splendid
There's definately cards out there but with a $75 ceiling choices get tight for included S/PDIF digital I/O.

Well, my mobo does have coaxle out.. if I get a soundcard, can I use that coaxle output with my soundcard? Like, can I have my soundcard output via my mobo's coaxle?

Are you talking about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178

If yes, how does the digital audio output work? I don't see a spot for optical or coaxle...

This is where you need the $15 Creative Digital I/O module, I noted in my initial post ( http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=1780 )

I have one and it works as advertised, providing optical and coax digital I/O. Yes, I'm aware this subtotals you to $80, but we're getting closer, eh? You may also be able to find the breakout box for the Audigy 2 on Ebay, for a similar price as well. ...this reminds me that about a month ago I was @ Best Buys and saw an audio card for, I believe $20 or $30 that actually had an optical S/PDIF output on it, I was intrigued. ...I canna remember who it was by, however.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
remember if you want surround sound through coax or opt for games (where it isnt preencoded like in a dvd) you need dll or dts encoding leaving you to the mystique and the turtle bay (montegro) if you wanna go up to a littl e more $ get the auzentech xplosion with does dts (2wice the quality of ddl i belive) i got one..its amazing

the chaintech is like 20$ with digital- remember no surround sound for games, here it is

but would be GREAT for dvd movies since they are pre-encoded

halcyon

Splendid
Chase, I'm liking that Chaintech card, I wish I had an excuse to get one, but @ $25 maybe I don't really need an excuse. I think that's the card that Astrallite might have (or one similar). If so, its safe as far as I'm concerned.

halcyon

Splendid
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=290236&ps=ho5

This card is better if you don't mind sending for a $40 rebate to get it to around $70. The X-fi's are starting to get cheaper and affordable for ppl.

That is a nice card. That's why I have 3 of them, 1 in each of my computers. 8O ...however, the Chaintech offers integrated optical S/PDIF. ...no digital I/O module or breakout box needed. That's a worthy feature in itself to me.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Wait, so you guys are saying that if I wanted surround sound in games using a optical or coaxle connection, I'd have to make sure the game supported a surround sound format?

That sucks...:?

And I'm staying away from X-Fi as I hear they're terrible for music.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
What's the best budget soundcard? I'm looking for something in the $50 range mainly to be used for music and games, but would be willing to go up to $75.

I'd like it to support at least 5.1 channels and some digital audio format (DTZ, DD Live, etc.). I would also love for some type of digital out (either coaxle or optical).

I've looked at the AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE7.1 and the Diamond Xtremesound 7.1. They both have great features and cost about the same after rebates/discounts at Newegg.

I'm open to any other cards though as I'm not too informed on this subject.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=290236&ps=ho2

Better hurry.

Edit: just finished reading the thread, everyone beat me already. The chaintech is reputed to be the best value card out there, because it sounds great. I dont have one myself, but my next card might be one of those.

The DDL cards you were looking at would be required for gaming on a 5.1 setup through your digital connection. Creative cards only have a passthrough, so unless your game supports Dolby Digital natively, you won't get 5.1 sound out of your setup.

Not sure about DTS that chase pointed out. Havent read much about it myself so I won't make a comment on it.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
lol spent hours on this like a month ago....

ddl is encode at like 750 kbs but ddl is 1.5mbps..----> which is 2wice the quality of ddl... but it's the same idea. the difference isnt noticible on cd listening and only can be picked out someitmes on movies.

most new reecievers do both dts and ddl, so if you really want to save the 40 bux just get the mystique

dimwhitted or whatever his name is started like a 5page thread thats back there like a month ago where he finaly decided on the chaintech (bascially just digital outputs BUT NO ENCODING which makes it suck for games but just fine for movies)