Services getting Access Denied when started using local SY..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 17, 2005 9:31:04 PM

Hi all,

I have a situation with a Windows 2000 Server that's a domain member.
Somebody there was messing around with permissions and now when I reboot,
about half of the services don't start and in the Event Viewer have messages
saying that access was denied. All of these services start using the internal
SYSTEM acccount.

How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom G
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:49:08 AM

Never mind....I discovered that the SYSTEM login had been removed from the
ACL of the root drive.

Adding it back in fixed it.

Tom G

"Tom Greendyk" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a situation with a Windows 2000 Server that's a domain member.
> Somebody there was messing around with permissions and now when I reboot,
> about half of the services don't start and in the Event Viewer have messages
> saying that access was denied. All of these services start using the internal
> SYSTEM acccount.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> Tom G
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:37:01 PM

If the need does arise again, you could pick up predefined templates from
C:\WINNT\security\templates and apply on the target system using Security
Configuration & Analysis MMC snap-in.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

!