Error in Event Log - please help..

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 20, 2005 2:55:00 PM

Recently I got this error more and more frequently:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: WINSCTRS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4314
Date: 1/20/2005
Time: 4:08:15 AM
User: N/A
Computer: **********
WINS Performance Monitor Counters could not get the WINS statistics.

Anyone had any ideas what this is about?
I am running Win2k AS and IIS 5.

More about : error event log

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:55:01 PM

Use the Extensible Counter Listing Tool from the resource kit to disable the
counter 'winsctrs.dll'
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/to...

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"3legs" wrote:
| Recently I got this error more and more frequently:
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: WINSCTRS
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 4314
| Date: 1/20/2005
| Time: 4:08:15 AM
| User: N/A
| Computer: **********
| WINS Performance Monitor Counters could not get the WINS statistics.
|
| Anyone had any ideas what this is about?
| I am running Win2k AS and IIS 5.

January 23, 2005 2:05:02 PM

Hi, I Recomending to Reinstall Wins Service. Before it,replicate content of
wins server to another temp wins server for backup.

"3legs" wrote:

> Recently I got this error more and more frequently:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: WINSCTRS
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 4314
> Date: 1/20/2005
> Time: 4:08:15 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: **********
> WINS Performance Monitor Counters could not get the WINS statistics.
>
> Anyone had any ideas what this is about?
> I am running Win2k AS and IIS 5.

January 24, 2005 12:41:54 PM

Thanks. I think I don't need the WINS service. May I just disable
everything about it?

"???? ?." <@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:A2B85189-4A26-486D-994B-4984E19768F9@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I Recomending to Reinstall Wins Service. Before it,replicate content
> of
> wins server to another temp wins server for backup.
>
> "3legs" wrote:
>
>> Recently I got this error more and more frequently:
>>
>> Event Type: Error
>> Event Source: WINSCTRS
>> Event Category: None
>> Event ID: 4314
>> Date: 1/20/2005
>> Time: 4:08:15 AM
>> User: N/A
>> Computer: **********
>> WINS Performance Monitor Counters could not get the WINS statistics.
>>
>> Anyone had any ideas what this is about?
>> I am running Win2k AS and IIS 5.

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:41:55 PM

Yes, see my reply of 1/19/05

--

"3legs" wrote:
| Thanks. I think I don't need the WINS service. May I just disable
| everything about it?
|

| "???? ?." <@discussions.microsoft.com>
¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:A2B85189-4A26-486D-994B-4984E19768F9@microsoft.com...
| > Hi, I Recomending to Reinstall Wins Service. Before it,replicate content
| > of
| > wins server to another temp wins server for backup.
| >
| > "3legs" wrote:
| >
| >> Recently I got this error more and more frequently:
| >>
| >> Event Type: Error
| >> Event Source: WINSCTRS
| >> Event Category: None
| >> Event ID: 4314
| >> Date: 1/20/2005
| >> Time: 4:08:15 AM
| >> User: N/A
| >> Computer: **********
| >> WINS Performance Monitor Counters could not get the WINS statistics.
| >>
| >> Anyone had any ideas what this is about?
| >> I am running Win2k AS and IIS 5.

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:41:55 PM

Hi if you not us WINS,you can just disable it and disable WINS counters!
See Dave patrick post about resource kit tool to disable wins counter. He
is Right! L(:)

"3legs" wrote:

> Thanks. I think I don't need the WINS service. May I just disable
> everything about it?
>

> "???? ?." <@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:A2B85189-4A26-486D-994B-4984E19768F9@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I Recomending to Reinstall Wins Service. Before it,replicate content
> > of
> > wins server to another temp wins server for backup.
> >
> > "3legs" wrote:
> >
> >> Recently I got this error more and more frequently:
> >>
> >> Event Type: Error
> >> Event Source: WINSCTRS
> >> Event Category: None
> >> Event ID: 4314
> >> Date: 1/20/2005
> >> Time: 4:08:15 AM
> >> User: N/A
> >> Computer: **********
> >> WINS Performance Monitor Counters could not get the WINS statistics.
> >>
> >> Anyone had any ideas what this is about?
> >> I am running Win2k AS and IIS 5.

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:41:53 PM

Thanks you guys are so helpful :)
I downloaded the Tool and disabled the WINS counter.

"Alex K." <AlexK@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:D E3E389F-2C8C-44CF-B2FE-83F733E66AE6@microsoft.com...

!