Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 2000 Server with XP Pro workstations

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:35:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

I have 5 servers and over 60 workstations on my network....2 days ago 5
machines could not access resources from 1 server...all 5 workstations had
the same messages in their error logs....see below. None of the servers
showed any errors. I have checked the the net and links below with no
solutions. Thanks in advance.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1053
Date: 1/20/2005
Time: 12:06:52 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: GISER
Description:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain
either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing
aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: AutoEnrollment
Event Category: None
Event ID: 15
Date: 1/20/2005
Time: 10:32:50 AM
User: N/A
Computer: GISER
Description:
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the
active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or
could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1054
Date: 1/20/2005
Time: 10:31:50 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: GISER
Description:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network.
(The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:49:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

"=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0bw==?=" <Christo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:80F111AF-85AD-495B-8517-51E27FB4BA6A@microsoft.com:

> I have 5 servers and over 60 workstations on my network....2 days ago
> 5 machines could not access resources from 1 server...all 5
> workstations had the same messages in their error logs....see below.
> None of the servers showed any errors. I have checked the the net and
> links below with no solutions. Thanks in advance.
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Userenv
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1053
> Date: 1/20/2005
> Time: 12:06:52 PM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: GISER
> Description:
> Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified
> domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group
> Policy processing aborted.
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: AutoEnrollment
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 15
> Date: 1/20/2005
> Time: 10:32:50 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: GISER
> Description:
> Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact
> the active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does
> not exist or could not be contacted.
> Enrollment will not be performed.
>

I have been dealing with the exact same problem for two weeks.
Intermittent problems and slow running XP Pro workstations on the network
- Autoenrollment and userenv errors on the logs. However, it would still
connect to the domain and have access to resources. Today I figured out
our problem.

We had the DNS settings on the workstation being the ISP assigned DNS
entries. I removed the ISP assigned DNS entries and in place put the
DOMAIN controller. In my case, the domain controller has DNS set up on
it locally using DNS forwarding to the ISP assigned DNS entries. After
changing that the XP Pro machines are extremely fast and the stall outs,
lock ups, and event error messages with the Userenv and Autoentrollment
entrees are gone completely. I'm guessing that many IT folks like us
have their Windows 2000 Pro workstations functioning with no problems
connecting to the Domain using IP assigned DNS entries - maybe through
DHCP settings or manual settings. Then, not knowing better, add XP Pro
workstations only to find there is a problem that is intermittent with
the XP Pro machines.

There seems to be no change on the Windows 2000 Pro workstations, only
the XP Pro workstations are impacted. Anyway, this change fixed all our
errors on the XP Pro workstations.

I hope this helps somebody else! I've found no mention of this in the
newsgroups.

Paul Smedshammer
!