What to do with all this loot?

Hi All,

I'm currently playing Morrowind for the first time and I'm having a great
time. However, I have collected all this loot that I can't seem to sell.
Right now, my character is a level 24 wood-elf warrior (I know, strange
combo). I've been hanging out in daedric ruins and I have a nifty
collection of daedric weapons. The thing is, no shopkeeper has enough gold
to buy them from me! I have swords, axes, clubs, etc. that are all worth
over 10,000 each. The most that a shopkeeper has is 3,000 gold. Whenever I
sell a weapon, I have to hold the minus key on the barter screen for several
minutes to lower the asking price from over 10,000 to whatever the shop
keeper has.

What shall I do? It's getting to the point where I only loot items that are
worth less than 1,000. Any tips would be appreciated!

-John
14 answers Last reply
More about what loot

    John Lau wrote in news:10rlat8a335i2c5@corp.supernews.com:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm currently playing Morrowind for the first time and I'm having a
    > great time. However, I have collected all this loot that I can't seem
    > to sell. Right now, my character is a level 24 wood-elf warrior (I
    > know, strange combo). I've been hanging out in daedric ruins and I
    > have a nifty collection of daedric weapons. The thing is, no
    > shopkeeper has enough gold to buy them from me! I have swords, axes,
    > clubs, etc. that are all worth over 10,000 each. The most that a
    > shopkeeper has is 3,000 gold. Whenever I sell a weapon, I have to
    > hold the minus key on the barter screen for several minutes to lower
    > the asking price from over 10,000 to whatever the shop keeper has.
    >
    > What shall I do? It's getting to the point where I only loot items
    > that are worth less than 1,000. Any tips would be appreciated!

    You've got a few options:

    Get the Tribunal expansion. It will, among many other things, put a "max
    sale" or similar button in the barter menu which will instantly change
    the gold to whatever the vendor has at the moment. No more holding down
    keys to raise or lower prices. IIRC, you need either Tribunal or
    Bloodmoon to get this functionality, and not just the vanilla Morrowind
    patch, but I could be wrong.

    Also, sell to the 5,000 and 10,000 gold vendors: the Creeper and Mudcrab,
    respectively. You can search for them if you don't want spoilers, or ask
    here for hints on their locations or go to the UESP or Hannah's Whereizit
    web pages.

    Alternatively, you can download any of a few dozen merchant mods for the
    game that strategically place vendors carrying large amounts of cash at
    commonly-accessed locations.

    *shrug*
    I have no idea why the game designers included such a ridiculous and
    broken economy in an otherwise excellent game.

    HTH,
    --
    ~sethra
    <who's going through the GOTY edition for the 3rd time now>

    Hey, thanks a bunch! I will try to look for Creeper and Mudcrab. You know,
    I really can't figure out why the economy is the way it is either. A friend
    of mine said that I should take my money, buy enchantments with it, and then
    sell my high priced items to the enchanter to get my money back. In
    essence, I will be trading my high priced items for enchantments. I
    actually did this a few times, but after enchanting a few items, I still
    have lots of loot and I really don't need any more enchantments. The other
    problem with this system is that I must have lots of gold to begin with.
    For example, if I only have 100 gold, then I really can't buy 10,000 gold
    worth of enchantments from a shopkeeper just to stock his account.

    -John

    "sethra" <azoblue@myrealboxDOT.com> wrote in message
    > John Lau wrote in news:10rlat8a335i2c5@corp.supernews.com:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I'm currently playing Morrowind for the first time and I'm having a
    > > great time. However, I have collected all this loot that I can't seem
    > > to sell. Right now, my character is a level 24 wood-elf warrior (I
    > > know, strange combo). I've been hanging out in daedric ruins and I
    > > have a nifty collection of daedric weapons. The thing is, no
    > > shopkeeper has enough gold to buy them from me! I have swords, axes,
    > > clubs, etc. that are all worth over 10,000 each. The most that a
    > > shopkeeper has is 3,000 gold. Whenever I sell a weapon, I have to
    > > hold the minus key on the barter screen for several minutes to lower
    > > the asking price from over 10,000 to whatever the shop keeper has.
    > >
    > > What shall I do? It's getting to the point where I only loot items
    > > that are worth less than 1,000. Any tips would be appreciated!
    >
    > You've got a few options:
    >
    > Get the Tribunal expansion. It will, among many other things, put a "max
    > sale" or similar button in the barter menu which will instantly change
    > the gold to whatever the vendor has at the moment. No more holding down
    > keys to raise or lower prices. IIRC, you need either Tribunal or
    > Bloodmoon to get this functionality, and not just the vanilla Morrowind
    > patch, but I could be wrong.
    >
    > Also, sell to the 5,000 and 10,000 gold vendors: the Creeper and Mudcrab,
    > respectively. You can search for them if you don't want spoilers, or ask
    > here for hints on their locations or go to the UESP or Hannah's Whereizit
    > web pages.
    >
    > Alternatively, you can download any of a few dozen merchant mods for the
    > game that strategically place vendors carrying large amounts of cash at
    > commonly-accessed locations.
    >
    > *shrug*
    > I have no idea why the game designers included such a ridiculous and
    > broken economy in an otherwise excellent game.
    >
    > HTH,
    > --
    > ~sethra
    > <who's going through the GOTY edition for the 3rd time now>

    I think they were trying to model a realistic economy where every
    person does not have an enormous amount of gold to trade. If someone
    walked up to the local 7-11 and offered to sell them a battleship, how
    much cash could they pay for it? Ot-nay uch-may.

    In MW, there are really only 3 things to do with money. Buy training,
    buy enchantments and buy high priced items. As you point out, there is
    a limited amount of any of these that you want. How many Adamantium
    left bracers are you going to wear or carry?

    I guess my point is that you don't really NEED to sell those high
    priced items....or even pick them up and carry them back to town. I
    like to pick up candles, torches and lanterns instead and light up 'my'
    house with them---like luminaria.

    sethra wrote:

    > I have no idea why the game designers included such a ridiculous and
    > broken economy in an otherwise excellent game.

    My guess is, but I could be absolutely wrong: They tried to fix
    something which was fundamentally wrong in Daggerfall. You could make
    infinite amounts of money in no time with very little efforts, even as
    level 1 character. Then visit trainers and get to high levels without
    visiting a dungeon. So I suppose in Morrowind they tried to limit money
    influx to restrict training, at least for lower levels. Later on, when
    you have the cash, training isn't so interesting anyways.

    Morrowind is no trade sim, so I don't expect an economy system like for
    example in Patrician II, but I certainly agree that it's a bit too much
    broken for my taste.

    There are some mods which balance weapon/armor/item costs. I usually
    play with Taddeus balanced items installed. It raises the price for
    low-end stuff, so at low levels you make some cash selling those silver
    daggers, and drastically lowers the prices of that daedric stuff, so you
    can actually sell the loot.

    Peter

    > Hey, thanks a bunch! I will try to look for Creeper and Mudcrab.

    I'm going to give you a little hint about the Mudcrab, only because he's in
    the middle of nowhere and looks just like an ordinary mudcrab. (Creeper is
    a Scamp, but he's obviously different from other scamps, just due to his
    location and the fact that his name is "Creeper".) It's far too easy to
    kill the Mudcrab merchant by accident if you don't know where he is. I'll
    give you spoiler space if you want. I'm just warning you, there's no way I
    would've found this guy without a spoiler, since I probably would've killed
    him on sight like any other mudcrab.

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    That should be enough. Look at your map and find the Mzahnch ruins, (it's
    labelled on the paper map that comes with the game, and also appears as a
    yellow rectangle on the world-map in-game.) go to that island (NW of Vivec),
    and then go one island to the west from there. The water is shallow enough
    to wade through there. You'll see a mudcrab on the island that won't
    attack. (Not much help, since most mudcrabs are relatively slow to attack
    anyhow...) Just talk to him. The major advantage of both Creeper and the
    Mudcrab is that they always buy items at full value, regardless of your
    Mercantile skill. And you can still haggle them up as much as you feel
    like, since they have no Disposition and won't get mad at you like other
    merchants. They each replenish their cash every 24 game hours, so visit
    them once a day with your loot and you'll soon be quite wealthy. (I leave
    dozens of expensive items on the Mudcrab's island, so there's always
    something to sell. I also cast Mark there so I can return easily any time I
    want.)

    I do bribe a lot, but it does not take me "large" amounts of cash.
    Right now I am playing a straight high elf mage autronarch (from the
    game's profiile choices) who started with low personality and
    speechcraft. He has only had to use the 1000 bribe option once, when
    talking to a Telvanni kingpin, and only had to use the 100 option when
    talking to about half the telvanni merchants/characters to get their
    disposition up. Once he gets their disposition in the 40+ range, the
    10 bribes will keep going mostly upwards. The upshot is that when he
    walks around a Telvanni town (where his initial rating is ~23 because
    he's done a lot of mage guild quests), he ends up with more money from
    buying and selling goods to merchants than he spends in bribes. Over
    the course of the entire game he might spend tens of thousands on
    bribes.....but it really would take the whole game (and probably not be
    tens of thousands even then).

    Peter Strempel wrote in news:320nlgF3h6jpmU1@individual.net:

    [big snip]

    > There are some mods which balance weapon/armor/item costs. I usually
    > play with Taddeus balanced items installed. It raises the price for
    > low-end stuff, so at low levels you make some cash selling those silver
    > daggers, and drastically lowers the prices of that daedric stuff, so you
    > can actually sell the loot.

    Hmm...that makes a bit more sense. It's a bit late for it to do much good
    in my current game, but I'll definitely look into that plugin when I play
    again. Thanks for the heads up.

    --
    ~sethra

    "DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I think they were trying to model a realistic economy where every
    > person does not have an enormous amount of gold to trade. If someone
    > walked up to the local 7-11 and offered to sell them a battleship, how
    > much cash could they pay for it? Ot-nay uch-may.
    >
    > In MW, there are really only 3 things to do with money. Buy training,
    > buy enchantments and buy high priced items. As you point out, there is
    > a limited amount of any of these that you want. How many Adamantium
    > left bracers are you going to wear or carry?

    A fourth use for money is what the game labels as bribes. My characters use
    these in many ways. For instance when meeting a high-level npc, some will
    offer 1000 bribe as a gift. Another favorite way is when a NPC states to my
    corpused character -- you make me want to lose my lunch -- is to
    safrcastically offer a small bribe to buy him/her another lunch. My
    characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so the
    slave can get started in Vardenfall.

    > I guess my point is that you don't really NEED to sell those high
    > priced items....or even pick them up and carry them back to town. I
    > like to pick up candles, torches and lanterns instead and light up 'my'
    > house with them---like luminaria.

    > My
    > characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so the
    > slave can get started in Vardenfall.

    Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far, I
    think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
    special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no real
    reason to do so...

    And as for the Corprus thing, the VERY first thing I do when I get Corprus
    is go straight to Tel Fyr, don't pass GO, don't collect $200, and get that
    taken care of as soon as possible. It has the added bonus that after that
    you never have to worry about any diseases ever again, something I'm very
    much in favor of. (Disease is one of my least favorite aspects of this
    game.)

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    >> My
    >> characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so the
    >> slave can get started in Vardenfall.
    >
    > Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far, I
    > think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
    > special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no real
    > reason to do so...
    >
    > And as for the Corprus thing, the VERY first thing I do when I get Corprus
    > is go straight to Tel Fyr, don't pass GO, don't collect $200, and get that
    > taken care of as soon as possible. It has the added bonus that after that
    > you never have to worry about any diseases ever again, something I'm very
    > much in favor of. (Disease is one of my least favorite aspects of this
    > game.)

    Its roleplaying thatg makes the game interesting for me. My characters also
    often leave the freed slaves supplies. I KNOW that the game does nothing
    with this.

    As for healing with Corpus -- my characters also heal as soon as possible
    but sometimes Caius or one of the other NPC's on the way is quite rude about
    the whole thing.

    BTW I use a mod called , I think, Shasti's Temple Traders which places
    women traders at all the shrines you can alsmivi or divine intervention too.
    This does give me too much money after a while but I like it because I only
    trade with them when I want to be able to retrieve something later. They
    don't give full price and they do equip some of the clothing and armor and
    weapons -- some more than others because they are different types of
    characters

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:47:59 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >And as for the Corprus thing, the VERY first thing I do when I get Corprus
    >is go straight to Tel Fyr, don't pass GO, don't collect $200, and get that
    >taken care of as soon as possible. It has the added bonus that after that
    >you never have to worry about any diseases ever again, something I'm very
    >much in favor of. (Disease is one of my least favorite aspects of this
    >game.)

    The trouble is of course is that that eliminates the ability to become
    a vampire too.

    > Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far, I
    > think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
    > special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no real
    > reason to do so...

    I must admit I do the same. I'm currently playing as Khajiit with the
    TwinLamps and Havish mods installed. Havish looks a bit empty, and those
    poor slaves need a new home. So I bring them to Havish, give them new
    clothes and let them wander around. Makes one feel really good. :)
    There are about 25 Khajiit roaming the streets of Havish now. Not good
    for the framerate, but quite fun to simply walk around.

    With another character, a vampire, I had a nifty hideout with a large
    jail in the cellar. So I brought the slaves there and stored them for
    later snacks. Makes one feel even better. ^-^

    It's all about imagination... Different people play Morrowind in
    different ways. That's the cool thing with this game. If I just want to
    do reasonable things, I play that game called "real life", but it's
    often boring and annoying.

    Peter

    > I do bribe a lot, but it does not take me "large" amounts of cash.
    > Right now I am playing a straight high elf mage autronarch (from the
    > game's profiile choices) who started with low personality and
    > speechcraft. He has only had to use the 1000 bribe option once, when
    > talking to a Telvanni kingpin, and only had to use the 100 option when
    > talking to about half the telvanni merchants/characters to get their
    > disposition up. Once he gets their disposition in the 40+ range, the
    > 10 bribes will keep going mostly upwards. The upshot is that when he
    > walks around a Telvanni town (where his initial rating is ~23 because
    > he's done a lot of mage guild quests), he ends up with more money from
    > buying and selling goods to merchants than he spends in bribes. Over
    > the course of the entire game he might spend tens of thousands on
    > bribes.....but it really would take the whole game (and probably not be
    > tens of thousands even then).

    I mostly use bribes in order to Taunt people into attacking me, in which
    case you get all your money back anyhow...

    "ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    > >> My
    > >> characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so
    the
    > >> slave can get started in Vardenfall.
    > >
    > > Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far,
    > > think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
    > > special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no
    real
    > > reason to do so...
    >
    > Its roleplaying thatg makes the game interesting for me. My characters
    also
    > often leave the freed slaves supplies. I KNOW that the game does nothing
    > with this.

    You know, I kinda do the same thing in Morrowind. I like to talk to
    shopkeeper when they have their backs towards me just to hear them say,
    "Who's there?" I know it really doesn't have an effect but it makes me feel
    like a mischevious character. Also, I like to follow guards around and
    annoy them with questions. Again, I know it doesn't do anything, but I like
    to pretend my character is an annoying elf. Maybe it's becaue I'm playing a
    wood-elf and he looks like a short kid compared to everyone.

Games Video Games Product