What to do with all this loot?

Last response: in Video Games
December 11, 2004 3:11:14 AM

Hi All,

I'm currently playing Morrowind for the first time and I'm having a great
time. However, I have collected all this loot that I can't seem to sell.
Right now, my character is a level 24 wood-elf warrior (I know, strange
combo). I've been hanging out in daedric ruins and I have a nifty
collection of daedric weapons. The thing is, no shopkeeper has enough gold
to buy them from me! I have swords, axes, clubs, etc. that are all worth
over 10,000 each. The most that a shopkeeper has is 3,000 gold. Whenever I
sell a weapon, I have to hold the minus key on the barter screen for several
minutes to lower the asking price from over 10,000 to whatever the shop
keeper has.

What shall I do? It's getting to the point where I only loot items that are
worth less than 1,000. Any tips would be appreciated!

-John

More about : loot

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 5:36:43 AM

John Lau wrote in news:10rlat8a335i2c5@corp.supernews.com:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently playing Morrowind for the first time and I'm having a
> great time. However, I have collected all this loot that I can't seem
> to sell. Right now, my character is a level 24 wood-elf warrior (I
> know, strange combo). I've been hanging out in daedric ruins and I
> have a nifty collection of daedric weapons. The thing is, no
> shopkeeper has enough gold to buy them from me! I have swords, axes,
> clubs, etc. that are all worth over 10,000 each. The most that a
> shopkeeper has is 3,000 gold. Whenever I sell a weapon, I have to
> hold the minus key on the barter screen for several minutes to lower
> the asking price from over 10,000 to whatever the shop keeper has.
>
> What shall I do? It's getting to the point where I only loot items
> that are worth less than 1,000. Any tips would be appreciated!

You've got a few options:

Get the Tribunal expansion. It will, among many other things, put a "max
sale" or similar button in the barter menu which will instantly change
the gold to whatever the vendor has at the moment. No more holding down
keys to raise or lower prices. IIRC, you need either Tribunal or
Bloodmoon to get this functionality, and not just the vanilla Morrowind
patch, but I could be wrong.

Also, sell to the 5,000 and 10,000 gold vendors: the Creeper and Mudcrab,
respectively. You can search for them if you don't want spoilers, or ask
here for hints on their locations or go to the UESP or Hannah's Whereizit
web pages.

Alternatively, you can download any of a few dozen merchant mods for the
game that strategically place vendors carrying large amounts of cash at
commonly-accessed locations.

*shrug*
I have no idea why the game designers included such a ridiculous and
broken economy in an otherwise excellent game.

HTH,
--
~sethra
<who's going through the GOTY edition for the 3rd time now>

Hey, thanks a bunch! I will try to look for Creeper and Mudcrab. You know,
I really can't figure out why the economy is the way it is either. A friend
of mine said that I should take my money, buy enchantments with it, and then
sell my high priced items to the enchanter to get my money back. In
essence, I will be trading my high priced items for enchantments. I
actually did this a few times, but after enchanting a few items, I still
have lots of loot and I really don't need any more enchantments. The other
problem with this system is that I must have lots of gold to begin with.
For example, if I only have 100 gold, then I really can't buy 10,000 gold
worth of enchantments from a shopkeeper just to stock his account.

-John

"sethra" <azoblue@myrealboxDOT.com> wrote in message
> John Lau wrote in news:10rlat8a335i2c5@corp.supernews.com:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm currently playing Morrowind for the first time and I'm having a
> > great time. However, I have collected all this loot that I can't seem
> > to sell. Right now, my character is a level 24 wood-elf warrior (I
> > know, strange combo). I've been hanging out in daedric ruins and I
> > have a nifty collection of daedric weapons. The thing is, no
> > shopkeeper has enough gold to buy them from me! I have swords, axes,
> > clubs, etc. that are all worth over 10,000 each. The most that a
> > shopkeeper has is 3,000 gold. Whenever I sell a weapon, I have to
> > hold the minus key on the barter screen for several minutes to lower
> > the asking price from over 10,000 to whatever the shop keeper has.
> >
> > What shall I do? It's getting to the point where I only loot items
> > that are worth less than 1,000. Any tips would be appreciated!
>
> You've got a few options:
>
> Get the Tribunal expansion. It will, among many other things, put a "max
> sale" or similar button in the barter menu which will instantly change
> the gold to whatever the vendor has at the moment. No more holding down
> keys to raise or lower prices. IIRC, you need either Tribunal or
> Bloodmoon to get this functionality, and not just the vanilla Morrowind
> patch, but I could be wrong.
>
> Also, sell to the 5,000 and 10,000 gold vendors: the Creeper and Mudcrab,
> respectively. You can search for them if you don't want spoilers, or ask
> here for hints on their locations or go to the UESP or Hannah's Whereizit
> web pages.
>
> Alternatively, you can download any of a few dozen merchant mods for the
> game that strategically place vendors carrying large amounts of cash at
> commonly-accessed locations.
>
> *shrug*
> I have no idea why the game designers included such a ridiculous and
> broken economy in an otherwise excellent game.
>
> HTH,
> --
> ~sethra
> <who's going through the GOTY edition for the 3rd time now>
December 11, 2004 9:01:17 AM

I think they were trying to model a realistic economy where every
person does not have an enormous amount of gold to trade. If someone
walked up to the local 7-11 and offered to sell them a battleship, how
much cash could they pay for it? Ot-nay uch-may.

In MW, there are really only 3 things to do with money. Buy training,
buy enchantments and buy high priced items. As you point out, there is
a limited amount of any of these that you want. How many Adamantium
left bracers are you going to wear or carry?

I guess my point is that you don't really NEED to sell those high
priced items....or even pick them up and carry them back to town. I
like to pick up candles, torches and lanterns instead and light up 'my'
house with them---like luminaria.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 9:03:44 PM

sethra wrote:

> I have no idea why the game designers included such a ridiculous and
> broken economy in an otherwise excellent game.

My guess is, but I could be absolutely wrong: They tried to fix
something which was fundamentally wrong in Daggerfall. You could make
infinite amounts of money in no time with very little efforts, even as
level 1 character. Then visit trainers and get to high levels without
visiting a dungeon. So I suppose in Morrowind they tried to limit money
influx to restrict training, at least for lower levels. Later on, when
you have the cash, training isn't so interesting anyways.

Morrowind is no trade sim, so I don't expect an economy system like for
example in Patrician II, but I certainly agree that it's a bit too much
broken for my taste.

There are some mods which balance weapon/armor/item costs. I usually
play with Taddeus balanced items installed. It raises the price for
low-end stuff, so at low levels you make some cash selling those silver
daggers, and drastically lowers the prices of that daedric stuff, so you
can actually sell the loot.

Peter
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:31:20 AM

> Hey, thanks a bunch! I will try to look for Creeper and Mudcrab.

I'm going to give you a little hint about the Mudcrab, only because he's in
the middle of nowhere and looks just like an ordinary mudcrab. (Creeper is
a Scamp, but he's obviously different from other scamps, just due to his
location and the fact that his name is "Creeper".) It's far too easy to
kill the Mudcrab merchant by accident if you don't know where he is. I'll
give you spoiler space if you want. I'm just warning you, there's no way I
would've found this guy without a spoiler, since I probably would've killed
him on sight like any other mudcrab.

..

..

..

..

..

That should be enough. Look at your map and find the Mzahnch ruins, (it's
labelled on the paper map that comes with the game, and also appears as a
yellow rectangle on the world-map in-game.) go to that island (NW of Vivec),
and then go one island to the west from there. The water is shallow enough
to wade through there. You'll see a mudcrab on the island that won't
attack. (Not much help, since most mudcrabs are relatively slow to attack
anyhow...) Just talk to him. The major advantage of both Creeper and the
Mudcrab is that they always buy items at full value, regardless of your
Mercantile skill. And you can still haggle them up as much as you feel
like, since they have no Disposition and won't get mad at you like other
merchants. They each replenish their cash every 24 game hours, so visit
them once a day with your loot and you'll soon be quite wealthy. (I leave
dozens of expensive items on the Mudcrab's island, so there's always
something to sell. I also cast Mark there so I can return easily any time I
want.)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 4:41:10 AM

I do bribe a lot, but it does not take me "large" amounts of cash.
Right now I am playing a straight high elf mage autronarch (from the
game's profiile choices) who started with low personality and
speechcraft. He has only had to use the 1000 bribe option once, when
talking to a Telvanni kingpin, and only had to use the 100 option when
talking to about half the telvanni merchants/characters to get their
disposition up. Once he gets their disposition in the 40+ range, the
10 bribes will keep going mostly upwards. The upshot is that when he
walks around a Telvanni town (where his initial rating is ~23 because
he's done a lot of mage guild quests), he ends up with more money from
buying and selling goods to merchants than he spends in bribes. Over
the course of the entire game he might spend tens of thousands on
bribes.....but it really would take the whole game (and probably not be
tens of thousands even then).
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:23:14 AM

Peter Strempel wrote in news:320nlgF3h6jpmU1@individual.net:

[big snip]

> There are some mods which balance weapon/armor/item costs. I usually
> play with Taddeus balanced items installed. It raises the price for
> low-end stuff, so at low levels you make some cash selling those silver
> daggers, and drastically lowers the prices of that daedric stuff, so you
> can actually sell the loot.

Hmm...that makes a bit more sense. It's a bit late for it to do much good
in my current game, but I'll definitely look into that plugin when I play
again. Thanks for the heads up.

--
~sethra
Anonymous

"DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I think they were trying to model a realistic economy where every
> person does not have an enormous amount of gold to trade. If someone
> walked up to the local 7-11 and offered to sell them a battleship, how
> much cash could they pay for it? Ot-nay uch-may.
>
> In MW, there are really only 3 things to do with money. Buy training,
> buy enchantments and buy high priced items. As you point out, there is
> a limited amount of any of these that you want. How many Adamantium
> left bracers are you going to wear or carry?

A fourth use for money is what the game labels as bribes. My characters use
these in many ways. For instance when meeting a high-level npc, some will
offer 1000 bribe as a gift. Another favorite way is when a NPC states to my
corpused character -- you make me want to lose my lunch -- is to
safrcastically offer a small bribe to buy him/her another lunch. My
characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so the
slave can get started in Vardenfall.

> I guess my point is that you don't really NEED to sell those high
> priced items....or even pick them up and carry them back to town. I
> like to pick up candles, torches and lanterns instead and light up 'my'
> house with them---like luminaria.

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:24:40 AM

> My
> characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so the
> slave can get started in Vardenfall.

Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far, I
think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no real
reason to do so...

And as for the Corprus thing, the VERY first thing I do when I get Corprus
is go straight to Tel Fyr, don't pass GO, don't collect $200, and get that
taken care of as soon as possible. It has the added bonus that after that
you never have to worry about any diseases ever again, something I'm very
much in favor of. (Disease is one of my least favorite aspects of this
game.)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:53:36 AM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
>> My
>> characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so the
>> slave can get started in Vardenfall.
>
> Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far, I
> think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
> special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no real
> reason to do so...
>
> And as for the Corprus thing, the VERY first thing I do when I get Corprus
> is go straight to Tel Fyr, don't pass GO, don't collect $200, and get that
> taken care of as soon as possible. It has the added bonus that after that
> you never have to worry about any diseases ever again, something I'm very
> much in favor of. (Disease is one of my least favorite aspects of this
> game.)

Its roleplaying thatg makes the game interesting for me. My characters also
often leave the freed slaves supplies. I KNOW that the game does nothing
with this.

As for healing with Corpus -- my characters also heal as soon as possible
but sometimes Caius or one of the other NPC's on the way is quite rude about
the whole thing.

BTW I use a mod called , I think, Shasti's Temple Traders which places
women traders at all the shrines you can alsmivi or divine intervention too.
This does give me too much money after a while but I like it because I only
trade with them when I want to be able to retrieve something later. They
don't give full price and they do equip some of the clothing and armor and
weapons -- some more than others because they are different types of
characters
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 7:57:44 AM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:47:59 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>And as for the Corprus thing, the VERY first thing I do when I get Corprus
>is go straight to Tel Fyr, don't pass GO, don't collect $200, and get that
>taken care of as soon as possible. It has the added bonus that after that
>you never have to worry about any diseases ever again, something I'm very
>much in favor of. (Disease is one of my least favorite aspects of this
>game.)

The trouble is of course is that that eliminates the ability to become
a vampire too.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:55:52 AM

> Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far, I
> think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
> special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no real
> reason to do so...

I must admit I do the same. I'm currently playing as Khajiit with the
TwinLamps and Havish mods installed. Havish looks a bit empty, and those
poor slaves need a new home. So I bring them to Havish, give them new
clothes and let them wander around. Makes one feel really good. :)
There are about 25 Khajiit roaming the streets of Havish now. Not good
for the framerate, but quite fun to simply walk around.

With another character, a vampire, I had a nifty hideout with a large
jail in the cellar. So I brought the slaves there and stored them for
later snacks. Makes one feel even better. ^-^

It's all about imagination... Different people play Morrowind in
different ways. That's the cool thing with this game. If I just want to
do reasonable things, I play that game called "real life", but it's
often boring and annoying.

Peter
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:36:44 PM

> I do bribe a lot, but it does not take me "large" amounts of cash.
> Right now I am playing a straight high elf mage autronarch (from the
> game's profiile choices) who started with low personality and
> speechcraft. He has only had to use the 1000 bribe option once, when
> talking to a Telvanni kingpin, and only had to use the 100 option when
> talking to about half the telvanni merchants/characters to get their
> disposition up. Once he gets their disposition in the 40+ range, the
> 10 bribes will keep going mostly upwards. The upshot is that when he
> walks around a Telvanni town (where his initial rating is ~23 because
> he's done a lot of mage guild quests), he ends up with more money from
> buying and selling goods to merchants than he spends in bribes. Over
> the course of the entire game he might spend tens of thousands on
> bribes.....but it really would take the whole game (and probably not be
> tens of thousands even then).

I mostly use bribes in order to Taunt people into attacking me, in which
case you get all your money back anyhow...
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:10:18 PM

"ALMA ENGELS" <thirinel@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> >> My
> >> characters ofter give small amounts of gold to newly freed slaves so
the
> >> slave can get started in Vardenfall.
> >
> > Somebody's taking this whole "role-playing" thing just a little too far,
> > think. I mean, it would be one thing if the game actually did something
> > special when you give money to slaves, but I'm pretty sure there's no
real
> > reason to do so...
>
> Its roleplaying thatg makes the game interesting for me. My characters
also
> often leave the freed slaves supplies. I KNOW that the game does nothing
> with this.

You know, I kinda do the same thing in Morrowind. I like to talk to
shopkeeper when they have their backs towards me just to hear them say,
"Who's there?" I know it really doesn't have an effect but it makes me feel
like a mischevious character. Also, I like to follow guards around and
annoy them with questions. Again, I know it doesn't do anything, but I like
to pretend my character is an annoying elf. Maybe it's becaue I'm playing a
wood-elf and he looks like a short kid compared to everyone.
!