Windows 2000 Server RAID5 problem.

sun

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

Windows 2000 Server RAID5 problem.

I have 4 HD for data only, one of them (disk1) has data, others are empty.
In case of not affecting the data, is it possible to create a RAID5 system
with these 4 HDs?
Since I have tried to do so, however, it only provides the mirror option
with I right click to the disk1.

In another case, if I first create a RAID5 system with the other 3 HDs,
copy all the data from disk1 to the RAID5, then delete the disk1 partition.
Finally, Is it possible to add additional HD (disk1) to the existing RAID5
system with 3 HDs?

In RAID5 system with 3 HD, what will happen if one disk is failure?
How about RAID5 system with 4 HD, what will happen if one disk is failure?

Because all of these are the company server's HDs,
so, I am not convenient to test the cases above.
Please share your experiences and knowledge if anyone could help me.

Thanks.

Hi
unpossible to create RAID5 array without formating of this array,bacause
system nee initilize raid 5 with parity partitions.
U must to backup you data to separate media, create RAID 5 array and restore
data

"Sun" wrote:

> Windows 2000 Server RAID5 problem.
>
> I have 4 HD for data only, one of them (disk1) has data, others are empty.
> In case of not affecting the data, is it possible to create a RAID5 system
> with these 4 HDs?
> Since I have tried to do so, however, it only provides the mirror option
> with I right click to the disk1.
>
> In another case, if I first create a RAID5 system with the other 3 HDs,
> copy all the data from disk1 to the RAID5, then delete the disk1 partition.
> Finally, Is it possible to add additional HD (disk1) to the existing RAID5
> system with 3 HDs?
>
> In RAID5 system with 3 HD, what will happen if one disk is failure?
> How about RAID5 system with 4 HD, what will happen if one disk is failure?
>
> Because all of these are the company server's HDs,
> so, I am not convenient to test the cases above.
> Please share your experiences and knowledge if anyone could help me.
>
> Thanks.

sun

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004