How to Install Raid?

grapz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I know its different for every mobo, but is there a general explaination , and ya bios is different, but just skip the bios part.

I'm basically looking for an explaination of how to put raid into progress with two newly harddrives just mounted on the case, what do i do next? lol

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I know its different for every mobo, but is there a general explaination , and ya bios is different, but just skip the bios part.

I'm basically looking for an explaination of how to put raid into progress with two newly harddrives just mounted on the case, what do i do next? lol

Do you already have a functional OS hard drive? Or will the OS be loaded onto this RAID array? I've got both variations and set up the OS array first when loading XP. So it's been a while and I'm not at home to find my notes but I think it went like this:

1) assemble PC components, power, do first BIOS tweeks
2) boot from XP CD in optical
3) load drivers at the F6 prompt
4) after the HDs were recognized, set up the array in BIOS
[edit: I think the array was set up in BIOS first tweeks before loading XP]
(I can't remember where in there the partition & format took place but you are prompted to do it when loading XP)

After XP was up and running on that array, I loaded all of the drivers that came with the mobo and other components and got all components running, updated XP over the web, etc. Then I powered down, added the non-OS array drives, made the RAID setup in BIOS, then partitioned and formatted using the XP utility and life was good. Again, I'm away from my books and notes and have had less than 10 hours of sleep in the last week, so if I've made errors, sorry.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
First you got to have the drives 2 or more hard drives connected. Then with a floppy disk copy the raid driver from the mobo's cd or the manufacturers site.

Then set-up the array in bios first like enabling raid configuration and selecting which drive to be included. Then load up xp (assuming your OS) and then it will promted you wether you want to install a 3rd party driver and so hit the key to bring you to the raid setup for the os. Then follow instructions for the rest.

Your mobo manufacturer should have a site for it or you could call them for support just to make sure.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
First you got to have the drives 2 or more hard drives connected. Then with a floppy disk copy the raid driver from the mobo's cd or the manufacturers site.

One thing cool about DFI is that they include a floppy with the drivers.

Just one less little thing to do.

grapz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
hm ic thanks for the reply guys.

so basically, boot up , get to bios. boot from cd, load raid drivers, configure HD to raid, THen you install XP on this raid array?