NLB setup ???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin,microsoft.public.exchange2000.clustering,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering (More info?)

Hi,

I am setting up a 2 node NLB cluster in preparation for using them as F/E
web farm for OWA.
They are DELL servers each with 4 NICs in a single team. I have configured
the servers and added the 2 nodes to the NLB cluster. NLB manager sees both
nodes OK.
The probleI am experiencing is with load balancing/failover. I have
configured the NLB to use multicast and I can access a web site on both
servers. However if I stop a node, then all clients connecting to that node
only ever try to reconnect to the same one. On checking the arp table I am
seeing that the mac address is not the virtual one but the actual NIC team
one.
If anyone has this configuration can they please advise on how they got it
to work.

Regards,

Gerry.

PS If I cannot get this to work can 2 seperate F/E Exchange servers be
configured to access the same bach-end servers?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:32:47 -0000, "gjb" <fleabite@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am setting up a 2 node NLB cluster in preparation for using them as F/E
>web farm for OWA.
>They are DELL servers each with 4 NICs in a single team. I have configured
>the servers and added the 2 nodes to the NLB cluster. NLB manager sees both
>nodes OK.
>The probleI am experiencing is with load balancing/failover. I have
>configured the NLB to use multicast and I can access a web site on both
>servers. However if I stop a node, then all clients connecting to that node
>only ever try to reconnect to the same one. On checking the arp table I am
>seeing that the mac address is not the virtual one but the actual NIC team
>one.
>If anyone has this configuration can they please advise on how they got it
>to work.
>
>Regards,
>
>Gerry.
>
>PS If I cannot get this to work can 2 seperate F/E Exchange servers be
>configured to access the same bach-end servers?

I would suggest that the NICs assigned for user traffic are un-teamed.
Are the NICs being used for inter node communication on a hub or a
layer3 switch?
I remember having awful problems with teamed nics, Cisco Catalysts and
NLB.

TRENDING THREADS