Sign in with
Your question

9250 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2006 3:51:52 AM

My friend just bought a ATI radeon 9250 PCI for his Dell Dimmension 3000, and the integrated graphics are still set to primary, and is not sure how to set it so the 9250 is primary. I tryed helping em over the phone, but it was really difficult, so no luck unfortunately. Anyone have a clue what may be wrong? And maybe how to fix this problem. Thanks.

More about : 9250 problem

August 6, 2006 4:43:27 AM

Uninstall the integrated drivers for the GMA.

Then go into the BIOS....change the initial display to PCI or AGP, whichever the 9250 is, then install your Radeon drivers.
August 6, 2006 2:34:51 PM

Ok hey thanks a lot, would he have to delete the integrated driver from like add/remove programs? This is a PCI card.
Related resources
August 6, 2006 3:25:33 PM

Quote:
Ok hey thanks a lot, would he have to delete the integrated driver from like add/remove programs? This is a PCI card.

This is the order in which I would do it: 1) Uninstall the integrated graphics drivers through Add/Remove programs. 2) Install the Radeon 9250. 3) Turn on the computer, and go into the BIOS. Change the display adapter to PCI. 4) Boot into WIndows, download and install the Catalyst drivers.
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 6, 2006 4:29:00 PM

You may not need to uninstall the onboard video. If you change the primary video setting in the BIOS, you should be good to go. If your friend ever wants to, he can then enable dual screens...
August 6, 2006 4:46:07 PM

Driver confliction.... :roll:
August 6, 2006 7:24:29 PM

Um unfortuantely, my friend isnt really geeky about computers, and he doesnt know how to get into the BIOS. Is their any other way he can set his video card?
August 6, 2006 9:07:44 PM

Just tell him to hit delete on startup and you'll walk him through it.
Its nothing geeky, its a blue screen and advanced options, doesnt take a rocket scientist. :lol: 
August 6, 2006 9:21:26 PM

k so can someone plz HELP ME im the kids friend that said i am not geeky :roll: and i REALLY NEED someone to help me cause i feel like such a nub right now cause im trying to install the DIAMOND STEALTH RADEON 9250 THE PCI VERSION on my comp i allready downloaded all the software that i was soposed to download on the cd that it came with i downloaded all the drivers it said i was soposed to download and like my friend said before me i pluged in the monitor in my dell tower and for some reason the monitor cant read the graphics card and like my freind said im trying to set it to primery and it is not working so can someone plz help me cause i really want to make it work and i have no idea want BIOS IS my friend told my i was soposed to type is in the RUN and it came up but i have know idea how i am soposed to delete the intel graphics card so i can set the radeon to primary so i can make it work
August 6, 2006 9:46:51 PM

I'm curious. What was the purpose of the 9250 in the first place? A PCI card can't be a huge step up from that onboard video.
August 6, 2006 9:50:51 PM

well i know the card is preety crapy but i didnt have that much money at the time and i wanted a graphics card so i could play like battlefield 2
August 6, 2006 9:55:27 PM

Well, I think you wasted your money and our time (no offense meant by that) I'm honestly not sure that BF2 will even load with a 9250... especially a PCI 9250. I'm just not sure you had realistic expectations for your "upgrade" Might want to check some benchmarks next time... I can't find any 9250 PCI BF2 benchmarks.

Feel free to post back here when/if you get it to work... I'm dying to know your settings and FPS.
August 6, 2006 10:03:41 PM

well i was wondering............. :lol:  if u can tell me how to configure the graphics card and set the graphics card to primary and if u tell me how to do that ill be glad to tell u if it works :) 
August 6, 2006 10:15:04 PM

PLZ all i want is someone to tell me how to fregen install the graphics card i allready installed all the drivers and i have no clue what to do after that and if i enter the cd that the graphics card came with after i downloaded all the drivers it says that it failed to find the setup display adapter and needs a standard vga driver i know i have one but i dont know why my comp cant find it and im preety sure that is the problem why the monitor wont read the tower so can someone plz tell me what to do
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2006 10:32:36 PM

Google Dell Dimmension 3000. Search Dell Dimension 3000. Search Dell for Dell Dimension 3000. Really, no one on here has a Dell Dimension 3000 setup or knows how to answer your specific question. Maybe it's, "Hello...Delly?" as a last resort. :roll:
August 6, 2006 11:21:45 PM

So do you have the 9250 itself physically installed?

Its simple: So I"ll put it like this:

Download the latest drivers from www.ati.com

Go to your add/remove programs, and remove the current display driver.

Reboot your machine. Hit DEL to enter setup. In the setup should be an
"advanced configuration" tab....or something to the advanced effect....
Under the listing it will say "primary display device", which you can toggle to either intregrated, AGP or PCI....(provided you have an AGP slot) and if the 9250 is in fact PCI....then set it to PCI.

After that, save and exit setup. Your machine will restart, boot into windows, install the drivers you downloaded from ATI.....then let the express install copy the necessary files. Afterwards you'll again have to reboot....but this time your device should be the video card and your going to have to manually adjust your resolution.

BTW: In order to play BF2, put your resolution @ 640x480....thats about the only thing I can think of too make it playable.
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2006 11:37:29 PM

I know. I was thinking the same thing.
August 7, 2006 12:18:26 AM

If its a dell, chances are that the BIOS key is F2
August 7, 2006 1:25:52 AM

Isn't BF2 DX9 and his card is only DX8?

I've heard of people not being able to run bf2 at all with that card, but people with a comparable Geforce FX5200 or FX5500 can run it on 1024x768 with about 35+ fps (I assume they have a decent processor as well). But those cards are 128-bit while your card is (I think) 64-bit.
August 7, 2006 3:57:05 AM

wait what graphics card am i soposed to delete the intel(R) Extream Graphics Driver or the ATI Display Driver
August 7, 2006 4:18:19 AM

Extreme Graphics driver....

Yeah...BF2 will default to DX8 for that GPU though.
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 7, 2006 5:53:31 AM

Quote:
Driver confliction.... :roll:

Possibly, but perhaps not. I don't see why you couldn't run a dual monitor setup with both the onboard and 9250. I've never deleted the driver, only put the new card in, and change the primary display to PCI. (The onboard is usually listed as AGP) I've done this on an old Dell P2 450MHz, and an HP 700MHz celeron. When you right click, it shows two displays, with the check box for extending. Lacking two monitors to play with, I never did it, but the option was there...

In short, I'm claiming that deleting the driver isn't needed, and if you ever feel the need to run more then one monitor, setting that up won't be an issue.
August 8, 2006 12:38:31 AM

HELP!!!!!!!!!! someone PLZ help me i just deleted the intel extream grafics card that was the inegrated grafics card that came with the dell someone told me to delete it on the forum the good thing i did on the DIAMOND STEALTH RADEON 9250 IS THAT I SWITCHED IT TO PRIMARY so the monitor can read the diamond stealth but now that i deleted the intel extream inagrated grafics card every think is SO FUCKN BIG LIKE THE SHORT CUTS ON THE SCREEN SAVER R SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG AND SO IS EVERY THING ELSE ON THE DELL is and thats not just the problem the fuckn comp is so slow what i mean when i say slow it isnt smooth anymore when i scroll down it IS VERY LAGGY so can someone TELL ME HOW TO FIX MY COMPUTER SO THAT THE SHORTCUTS AND EVERYTHING ON THE COMPUTER ISNT SO BIG and can someone tell me how to make the diamond stealth radeon 9250 to work and could u tell me very specificly so that i can understand
a c 175 U Graphics card
August 8, 2006 7:38:03 AM

Everything is big because your monitor resolution is set to low. (most likely 640x480.) If the video card drivers are installed properly, you simply right click on the desktop, then select properties, then settings. On the right side of that screen, there should be a slider bar. Move it to the right to select 1024x768. (unless you have a 15" CRT, then select 800x600)
If things are laggy, then I suspect that the drivers aren't installed properly. You've indicated that you've already installed them, so this might mean the card is bad. Not likely if the card is new, most likely if you got it from a friend/ebay. To check card install status, click start, settings, control panel, system. Click on the hardware tab, then device manager. Reinstall any drivers needed.
August 8, 2006 4:35:10 PM

Quote:
Everything is big because your monitor resolution is set to low. (most likely 640x480.) If the video card drivers are installed properly, you simply right click on the desktop, then select properties, then settings. On the right side of that screen, there should be a slider bar. Move it to the right to select 1024x768. (unless you have a 15" CRT, then select 800x600)
If things are laggy, then I suspect that the drivers aren't installed properly. You've indicated that you've already installed them, so this might mean the card is bad. Not likely if the card is new, most likely if you got it from a friend/ebay. To check card install status, click start, settings, control panel, system. Click on the hardware tab, then device manager. Reinstall any drivers needed.

I believe he got this card from staples, and payed wayyyy more than he should have. I thought when i was talking to him that the card was shot, and probably needed to be returned. I think he does play on a 15' CRT monitor. I dont know much about it, havent been to his place in a while. He's pretty new to the techy world, as you can see from reading his most recent post. I told him basically, to return the card, get your money back, rip apart the dell, salvage what is left(most likely the 2 CD/DVD drives and harddrive, if possible) and just build yourself a whole new system. He just mainly plays source, nothing special, nothing fancy.
!