New PC, what you think?

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3565927&WishListTitle=newpc

Anything I should change on it? What do you think?

Core 2 is a better build. You can get an ASROCK mother board from www.enuinc.com for $65

The benchies on the conroe(core2duo) beats the 4200 right out the door.
Why waste your money on AMD. Conroe uses less power and is way faster 20-48%.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3565927&WishListTitle=newpc

Great rig! :D

Though, are you sure that the PSU in the case will be enough? Have you checked?

adamb10

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I recently added a Antec 450W PS just a couple seconds ago. :)

Is it better to purchase all the parts at once? Right now I have enough money for the mobo but not anything else.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
That Antec PSU is ok. It has duel 12v rails and the amperage is alright. But, I do think you should reconsider as it doesn't have PFC.

Power Factor Correction - protects against things like voltage fluctuations and electrical irregularities that can affect the efficiency of your power supply. There are three types of PFC: active, passive, and non-PFC. Active PFC provides the best protection, while non-PFC provides the worst.

SILVERSTONE SST-ST50EF ATX12V 500W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001

Good strong dual 12v rails at 18amps per (which is excellent) and has Active PFC.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Core 2 is a better build. You can get an ASROCK mother board from www.enuinc.com for $65

The benchies on the conroe(core2duo) beats the 4200 right out the door.
Why waste your money on AMD. Conroe uses less power and is way faster 20-48%.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Newegg doesn't seem to have Core 2. He is buying from Newegg and that system will provide a good computing experience whether it's faster than Core 2 or not.
It's faster than the 965XE in most cases so it's a great chip. AND AVAILABLE AT NEWEGG.

Kamon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Well, it'd certainly be easier to order them all at once, but it might cost a bit more, due to the weight.

DeMonOfElRu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think your choice of components is really good (ie high quality components at quite low prices hence good value for money) ... considering you're getting them all in one store.
I usually shop around quite a bit (almost never from one store) before purchasing. But that's just me.

All in all , good buy.
good bye. :D

Neofight

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
You have Cas 5 latency Ram listed there and some on here argue that you will see a big performance hit with anything other than CAS 4. I don't know if that is true and would like to see proof one way or the other as I am putting together a very similar system.

Any thoughts on this?

Otherwise I think you have a great rig there.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
You will save money on shipping if you get things together rather than separately, because you won't pay a 1 lb rate for a 0.25 lb part (repeated by number of 0.25 lb parts). So try to do it in just a couple of shipments.

Also, don't forget the following:

- CD / DVD combo drive, so you can install the O/S
- CPU cooler - Zalman 9500 is a decent one; there are others as well
- Case fans - I see one included with the case, but you should make sure you have enough fans for inflow at the front and exhaust at the back. It looks like you have a space for a 120 mm fan at the back of your case, and I don't know about the front. Check the online specs on the case to see what makes sense, and check the available clearance room between case and MB to see if you have enough space for a fan there.
- GPU cooler - not sure if the 7600 needs this or not, or if the stock one is quiet or not - anyone?
- Signal and Power cabling for HD and CD/DVD. Some come with it, some do not. Some MBs, cases and PSUs come with it also. Check the specs.
- Network - if your MB has onboard ethernet, you're ok to start out. If you want Wifi and your MB doesn't have it onboard, you'll want a PCI add-in card for that.
O/S? If you're running a free version of linux, you wouldn't need this, but if you want Windows, you won't get far w/out it.

Generally, you'll want to be sure to think through how the install and config will proceed, and what parts (generally cables) you'll need for each step. If those come with the selected components, great. If not, you'll be annoyed if you have to order a $5 part with a $15 rush shipping fee to make progress on your system.

Good luck.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
The X1800XT can be had for $230 and is a significantly superior graphics card to the 7600GT - for the difference in price, worth it IMO.

If games are going to be your main usage, then look as skimping elsewhere to afford it.

adamb10

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm not a ATI fan simply for the lack of Linux support. I dont use Linux much but ocasionally I like to toy with it.

EDIT:

After looking at the card it does look tempting. I'd have to downgrade the CPU to a 3800 to probobly even have a chance of getting it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Whats a good heatsink+fan available for the X2? I'm sure the stock heatsink doesnt do well under heavy load.

I'm running at 220 HT and I have no heat problems. That AMD stock HSF is FAMOUS for it's ability to OC. I have see benches where it gets 500MHz extra with slight increase in voltage.

TRENDING THREADS