Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Backup for win7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 14, 2011 4:59:59 PM

Hi,
How can i create a backup for windows7 using the only drive C size of (600GB)?
Thank you.

More about : backup win7

a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2011 2:06:31 AM

^1 - Agree with area51 - I use Easeus To Do backup. Works very well.
Score
Related resources
May 15, 2011 4:53:58 PM

Is it possible to create backup for win7 without using a third party ? thx.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2011 5:08:38 PM

scott_66 said:
Is it possible to create backup for win7 without using a third party ? thx.

Yes! Use "Backup & Restore" in the Control Panel of Win 7. You can also set up a backup schedule.

However, you cannot backup to the drive you are backing up. You will need to backup to a separate drive.
Score
May 16, 2011 1:30:06 AM

Ubrales said:
Yes! Use "Backup & Restore" in the Control Panel of Win 7. You can also set up a backup schedule.

However, you cannot backup to the drive you are backing up. You will need to backup to a separate drive.

So i need to buy and install another C drive, but what will be the right size for the backup on the new drive?
thx.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2011 2:07:05 AM

Yes you need a 2nd Hard disk drive, it will not be C drive.
The idea of backing up your drive is in the event that it dies you can restore it to a new drive, or computer. If the Backup was on the same drive and the drive died - well there went the backup.

You can get a USB hard drive to do your backup to ( It is cheaper if you buy your own USB enclosure and a Hard drive.

I'm guessing that your operating system plus ally your programs Plus all of the files you created are on the "C" drive. This is not the best way to set up your hard drive. Ideally you make at least to partitions. The first is "C" and is JUST for the operating system and the programs you install (200 Gigs is norammly plenty) then the reast of that hard drive is partitioned into D drive and this is where you put all of YOU files/data that you create. It greatly simplifies backing up. Should back-up all your data daily, or weekly (depends on individuals). Your "C" drive only needs to be backed up when you add new programs, This could be monthly or in somecases even longer once you have installed all the programs you want.

And Yes, windows back-up of your C drive is great. It creates an image file (for restore) and will create a Boot disk to do the restore - You do not need this disk as long as you have your windows install disk - it can also retore an image.
a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2011 2:13:00 AM

scott_66 said:
So i need to buy and install another C drive, but what will be the right size for the backup on the new drive?
thx.

Try this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are 1 TB drives; very reliable, and use it for data storage besides backups. Or, back up multiple computers on this dive when installed in an external enclosure. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
May 17, 2011 2:22:52 AM

Very helpful information and links , thank you guys.
Score
May 22, 2011 2:38:56 PM

Best answer selected by scott_66.
Score
May 27, 2011 9:35:26 PM

Hi,
I keep getting this message :
"Hello ,
we noticed that your thread is not active anymore. Did you get the answer that you were seeking? We invite you to review the answers, and select the best one as your "Best Answer" (click on the gold cup above it)."...but where is the gold cup that i need to clic on ?!
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
May 27, 2011 9:57:52 PM

Thanks Scott!
Score
!