Sign in with
Your question

building a video editing/ movie watching PC (with oblivion)

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2006 7:39:30 AM

ok here is my pc i was thinking of getting

129.73 - Antec Performance I P180B Black

98.99 - Asus M2N-E Motherboard

209.00 - aiw video card x1900

114.99 - Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

198.00 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Dual-Core

255.00 - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

297.99 - BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" LCD Monitor

10.98 - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

the total of all this is: 1314.68

could i find something better than this and still stay within my 1500 range? ( i do like having around the 1300 - 1400 range but if need to hit the 1500 ill go with it).

was going to get a harddrive but i already have one from my computer i am using now. i really would like to watch television since i dont have a tv in my room. thats why i got the AIW x1900. i have windows professional from when my dad bought it ( couldnt really use it but now i can).

i was thinking of core 2 duo but i dont think i can fit it into my budget. if you could somehow get my budget to fit into getting a core 2 duo e6600 i would greatly appricate it, but right now i just cant find a way expecially wanting to get that mobo that supports kentsfield by gigabyte

comments please :) 

EDIT: if anyone wants to use a good build here it is

ordered 10.98 - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

205.95 - Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard

$62.98 - Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU PCIE Ready Model SP500

284.99 - BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" LCD Monitor

ordered 254.00 - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

ordered 258.47 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Multi-Core Technology

ordered - $94.99 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

total - $1511.09

i think i did pretty good on this .
August 6, 2006 8:46:22 AM

i would go with conroe. you can get it for 345 and i believe it would fit in your 1500 budget.

bye.
August 6, 2006 6:17:50 PM

the motherbaord for core 2 duo costs $286.12. which is also compatible with the kentsfield processor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813128323

monarch computer systems is selling core 2 duo e6600 for 347.98.

when i subtract my amd mobo and its processor i i have $296.99 and the core 2 duo mobo costs as much as that.

add the core 2 mobo and the e6600 i have $1651.79 which i went over by $151.79.

any way i could get the price down?
Related resources
August 6, 2006 6:50:21 PM

Quote:
Suggested Changes:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 <--- Newegg has this on for $279. It's $14 less at ZipZoomFly.

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 550W

Monitor: BenQ FP202W <-- Newegg now listing this for $285

This should help get the price down by about $50. If you still need to get it lower, switch to the Abit AB9 Pro

whats the difference between abit mobo and gigabyte mobo? can they both use kentsfield chip in the future?

should i get modular cabling psu since i heard that psu's without modular cabling gets hotter because of the decrease of airflow inside the case.

i was adding shipping with the fp202w which makes it $294 :) . everything has to be 1500 shipped or less.

i was thinking of buying an all in wonder x1900 video card but then i see a
All-In-Wonder Radeon X800 XL Video Card. which one is better? on ati website x800xl costs more and x1900 costs less. but i always thought x1900 was better than x800.
could anyone explain this?
August 6, 2006 7:37:38 PM

Thats a great build, apart from the fact that I would most definitely build it around Conroe E6600 right now - even if it stretches your budget by $100-150.

And yes, I'd agree with TP and say that cash saved on the TP550w would be a good bet. The NeoHE will be quieter and more efficient but the TruePower will do you fine.

As for the X800XL being cheaper than an X1900 series card, ignore that - the X800 series is just not on the active 'price update' circuit like the newer cards so the price will be erroneous. The X1900 is deffo the better card.

I'd also be inclined to say drop the X1900XT for an X1900GT and put the addtional saving towards the Conroe idea.

Simply put - I wouldn't make a new AMD build right now. For the sake of stretching your budget by a mere 10% the Conroe build will absolutely demolish the 4200+. Heck, in most games my San Diego 3700+ single-core CPU would beat that.
August 6, 2006 8:45:48 PM

Quote:
whats the difference between abit mobo and gigabyte mobo? can they both use kentsfield chip in the future?

The Abit might be ble to, but the Gigabyte specificly say it will support it. I suggested the Abit board in case you needed to lower the cost of the build.
August 7, 2006 12:18:46 AM

1262.67 ---- new total ----- amd build
1569.68 ---- new total ----- C2D build

i added Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU

what is this x1900GT? and where can i find it?

what else should i try to save on? this just needs a little bit more cash saving.

if i get core 2 duo would i really find a much better performance rate? i know the performance is good but is it worth the extra 300 more dollars? ( im just saying this because im jumping from a 3000+ amd xp processor on socket A and im getting tired of this slowness and is it really gonna give me a big difference than that of a athlon 4000)

also i have 452 dollars i can use today and i was wondering what should i use it on ? ( i can only use it today)

should i just make it 1gb ram?
August 7, 2006 1:00:35 AM

The X1900GT = slightly slower variant of the X1900XT (which is in turn a slightly slower variant of the X1900XTX flagship).

If you can afford the X1900XT, get that ... if you see the X1900GT for $50 cheaper and really need the spare change, get that instead.

Oh, and if you have some 'today only' cash, then I'd suggest ordering the RAM and the GFX card perhaps?
August 7, 2006 1:21:28 AM

You could always drop to an E6300 and overclock it. An OC'ed E6300 will give you FX-62 level performance for 1/4 of the price. Dropping to an X1900GT wouldn't be a bad idea either. But TBH, I would actually drop all the way down to a 7600GT (if you do this, switch the CPU back to an E6600), and wait for the DX 10 cards to arrive.
August 7, 2006 2:08:30 AM

Quote:

Simply put - I wouldn't make a new AMD build right now. For the sake of stretching your budget by a mere 10% the Conroe build will absolutely demolish the 4200+. Heck, in most games my San Diego 3700+ single-core CPU would beat that.

its a 4000+, it could crush that? ( well i know it probably can crush it but i dont know which core 2 duo your talking about ) if so then intel is all for me then. as long its price good.

as long as that 7600gt plays a game on just normal settings on all happy.

what should i do about a tv tuner...? ( gotta have tv in my room :)  )

quick questions:

does that abit board have good overclocking?

how do you find out if ( or know) that it is compatible with kentsfield?

should i change the corsair ram to some other brand to save money?
August 7, 2006 5:01:26 AM

The 7600 should have no problems handling most games on high quality settings, especially if it's backed up by a Core 2. Any Core 2 will crush the 4000+, in fact with some overclocking, the E6300 (the lowest model Core 2) can beat one of AMD's FX-62 chips. I linked to the E6300 in my previous post. At ZipZoomFly, it is currently going for $219. Not bad considering it can beat an FX-62 which costs $836 (Newegg price). For a TV tuner, I would go for the Happauge WinTV-PVR-150 The Abit board should be good for overclocking. Abit's motherboards are geared towards gamers, so they are generally pretty good when it comes to OC'ing. Corsair offers the best compatibility and great timings, but it has a pricetag to match. If you find another set you like better, post it here and i'll let you know what I think.
August 7, 2006 6:03:07 AM

k, not to put a wet blanket on all the conroe loving going on here, but you really don't need it. Quite frankly, while it is truly the best cpu out there you just will not have a dumpy machine at all by going w/ the 4000+. The previous posts are right in that any conroe will crush the 4000, the real question is: would you notice or care?

forgetting bungholio marks and such, at gaming resolution (not low res for cpu testing) you will not see a bit of difference in oblivion between a conroe and the x2. At 1600x1200 (assuming a 4:3 ratio on that monitor) you are gpu bound, and the 4000 can feed it plenty to work w/. On tv watching/recording you will also not see a difference. If you do alot of video encoding/compressing/converting then you would see a speed diff, but not sure if it would be enough to blow your budget on.

The x1900gt is not as good of a performer as the 1900AIW. the aiw version is just a tick below the 1900xt (touch slower and half the ram) while the 1900gt is MUCH slower then the aiw version and was meant to replace the x1800xt but does a poor job of it. PLUS, the aiw has the tv tuner, the whole pile of a/v connections and break-out boxes (for anythign you could think of) and a very nice suite of apps for recording/time-shifting etc. (both ati and 3rd party) And the remote is frackin' incredible. Operates mouse and all input very well.

comming from a user of the aiw cards (last one was a 9700aiw) there is just nothing on the market that can compete w/ them. Ati's multimedia center is a very solid, nice app that does everything for the tuner and media watching... The remote software integrates well w/ windows and gives you great control from your couch. You will spend alot more to get a gaming card and tv tuner (w/ a remote that nice) seperate, and neither will have the quality unless you bought ati's stand-alone versions. ;) 

stick w/ your amd build and you will not be dissapointed.

EDIT: just noticed... do not get "just" one gig of ram! get 2, w/ video work and even on oblivion, 2 gigs is a big improvement.

and also, when I say your "amd build" I mean the original one. Changing the powersupply is fine, or case and such, but the main components are fine the way they are.
August 7, 2006 6:09:11 AM

dang the 7600gt and the tv tuner hits more than the all in wonder card.

any other choices?

is a 7600gt equal to a all in wonder x1900? woah never mind person before me answered my questions.

EDIT:

its amazing how low i got the amd build down to.

964.68 ---- new total using my screen im using now.
1262.67 ---- new total ----- amd build with the screen
1271.69 ---- new total ---- core 2 duo setup without a screen

i like the core 2 duo because it would help me in performance areas where im video editing and multi tasking a lot. so core 2 would help me in that way.
August 7, 2006 6:10:15 AM

Quote:
is a 7600gt equal to a all in wonder x1900?

not even close... different planets those two are from. ;)  the 1900aiw is more toe to toe (and slightly better) then the 7900gt

EDIT:
just looking at that M2Ne... might I suggest the M3N-sli? while sli is not important... that digital audio output might be if you are using the onboard sound for tv... but then again it might just be better to stick w/ the M2Ne and get a nice soundcard for better audio anyway. Just a thought. ;) 
August 7, 2006 6:48:28 AM

wow thats pretty good then.

now im just wondering who is more upgradable. the am2 or intel socket.

then i really dont know if kentsfield will work for the abit mobo. which makes my only option is the other mobo ( and the only one). getting that will cost too much. if that abit mobo is compatible with kentsfield processors no doubt i would get core 2 because it can fit my budget but that gigabyte mobo is a killer :( .
August 7, 2006 6:56:57 AM

A difference between Conroe and an X2 4000 may not be very obvious yet, but down the road, I think it will become very obvious. I won't argue that a 4000+ based system isn't good though, because right now, there's more than enough computing power available to the comsumer.... Just wait until Vista arrives though....
August 7, 2006 7:19:20 AM

o why vista... me getting vista will hurt my pocket even more.

i know vista will set my computer back into its place. ( hmm i wonder if windows get a heads up about these processers way before we did so users like me and what im using now will be gone)

i agree with the core 2 duo being better but then i see the e6600 being over priced as it is due to hgih demand and the mobo's are being over priced also.

if i could really wait for kentsfield processors to hit the store to make core 2 duo processors back in their place i would.

also if we did wait for vista wouldnt the performance of the processors stay within the same boundry they are in right now?

another question: I know that kentsfield processors release this year. what i dont know is when does vista release? when vista releases there will be something new ( as always).

o if only i could know that the abit mobo for core 2 duo actually is upgrable to kentsfield ( because then the price would fall into my buy it now pocket)

edit:

but then it goes back down to the e6600 being fx62 out of the box without over clocking.

since the core 2 duo is new it would make people mad if they did not place the kentsfield on the same chipset also. but thats just going by opinion. only thing thats on that chipset would be core 2 duo and the older processors ( which i know not too many people looking to downgrade their system). it has to support it! unless they are gonna hit us out of cache

off topic: if other technology could keep up with computer techology; most electronics would be much cheaper.
August 7, 2006 2:07:50 PM

Quote:
A difference between Conroe and an X2 4000 may not be very obvious yet, but down the road, I think it will become very obvious. I won't argue that a 4000+ based system isn't good though, because right now, there's more than enough computing power available to the comsumer.... Just wait until Vista arrives though....

lol, no telling when that will happen. It could be next summer before vista shows up. ;) 

seriously though, now that winFS is no longer a feature (ever) then the only reason to get it (besides a few improvements that could be worked into xp) is the aero-glass gui and (maybe) directx10. Frankly I see nothing yet to make me move from winXP. It probably won't be until a good 6 months to a year after vista releases before I jump... and then it still depends on if there is a compelling reason. Regardless, looking at the (current) system specs from m$ I don't see even that amd system of his dogging out. It meets high-end requirements and w/ 2gigs o' ram he is above what he needs there. (directx10 notwithstanding)

@ the OP:
The big difference (IMO) from intel upgrades vs. amd is that while both use the same socket for them, only amd (usually) stays w/ the same chipset too. most (not all) of intel's upgrades to new procs in the past have required a new chipset on the same socket. (and sometimes a new socket) Looking at how long 939 and the previous socketA lasted for amd I do not expect am2/nforce5 to go anywhere for a while. They just went to ddr2, they will stay w/ some speed increases on that for a while methinks.

again, not saying the core2 is not the way to go as it is the better proc. But only if you dont mind waiting and paying more. I am only pointing out some very real strong points for that amd build. Personally I think it is the way to go in this situation.
August 7, 2006 2:24:56 PM

Like TP said earlier, I think the E6300 will fit your budget a lot better than the E6600, and if you plan on overclocking you will still get a ton of performance out of the machine. Also mentioned earlier, get 2 gig of RAM, definitly if you are playing with videos or playing with oblivion.

For Vista availability, if you knew that you would be a rich man. I think right now its Q1 2007, but its gotten pushed back a lot so who knows. Dont wait for Vista, you might never get a computer at all ;) 

In my opinion, a much overlooked fact in the Conroe vs AM2 debate these days is the upgradability of the two platforms. With statements made by AMD about how their future processors based on AM3 sockets will be able to be dropped into AM2 motherboards (losing features like DDR3 and the new Hypertransport, but still working), I have to feel that AMD is a lot more upgradable than the Intel offerings. Sure, Intel might stick with LGA775 for a while, but they seem to have a revolving door when it comes to chipsets, which is just as crippling as a socket change. AMD seems to have a better track record for long term planning (ie the current core which was planned with things like 64 bit and dual core in mind years ago), so I think they are better with that sort of thing.

Having said all that, Id still go with a C2D because of todays performance, hands down. An E6300 will still do you quite well, or even an E6400 (for the multiplier), and save money on you E6600.
August 7, 2006 4:55:53 PM

Actually Scribs, The LGA775 platform is a bit more upgrdable than people think. There are some very serious looking rumors that Kentsfield will work on any motherboard that was designed to support Conroe (based on the fact that Intel had a Kentsfield chip running on one of their D975XBX Rev 304 boards). I agree that AM2-AM3 is more upgradable than Core 2, but it's not like the current 965 chipsets will support Conroe and that when Kentsfield and beyond arrives that you'll need to upgrade again.
August 7, 2006 6:27:37 PM

i love the amd build but i love the core 2 build also.

i just noticed that am3 will come out next year which means am2 will slowly become old ( though i have a 3 year old computer myself). the intel build has just got on a new chipset which makes it new. i am hoping that core 2 motherboards will be compatible with kentsfield becuase the chipset is new and i dont think they would release another chipset because they will lose money.

e6400 can be overclocked to fx-62 power ( am i right?). knowing that it sounds like im saving money both ways if i go amd or intel. saving money by amd by pricecuts and getting fx-62 performance without having the huge pricetag that comes with it.

when things weigh out a bit both are pretty much a good deal but i like the savings that an e6400 brings me.

i have saw that if the e6400 and the e6600 was running at the same speed
the e6600 would show little or no performance increase from the extra cache.

question: can the e6400 be overclocked to the fx-62 processor?
August 7, 2006 6:43:58 PM

Oh, and just to clarify, you would be wrong in assuming that the X2 4000+ will best a San Diego 3700+ in most games. Check the toms hardware benches.

My 3700+ will outpace it in all games unless they have a specific patch to use dual cores (and even then, multithreaded performance increase can often be as little as 10%, because there is only so much of the game that can be threaded just ask John Carmack).

By the time games take true advantage of dual core CPU's, the X2 4000+ will long have been crushed by Conroe.

In short, the X2 4000+ is a mediocre gaming chip. Its strange, because if you check the benches - even games that we would generally consider GPU bound will still perform better on faster processors. If you are looking towards Oblivion then its Conroe with an X1900XTish card for the win.

And OMG I haven't even started on video editing yet.

Conroe ABSOLUTELY owns AMD in this department, seriously. Just check the video encoding benches. The speed also improves exponentially in this when you overclock.

So... you want a PC for video editing and gaming?

Its Conroe time, baby.
August 7, 2006 6:49:43 PM

haha im loving it.

if a 4000+ is a mediocore chip then i wonder what my 3000+ athlon xp ( socket A) is...

thanks for that dave.

im seeing on newegg that they have some cheap core 2 duo ready processors. ( too bad it has onboard video card lol)

now my other question is should i get it now or should i wait 1-2 days for price checking?

what mobo is the best bang for my buck now im wondering :) .

abit or gigabyte ....?
August 7, 2006 6:55:06 PM

Quote:
k, not to put a wet blanket on all the conroe loving going on here, but you really don't need it. Quite frankly, while it is truly the best cpu out there you just will not have a dumpy machine at all by going w/ the 4000+. The previous posts are right in that any conroe will crush the 4000, the real question is: would you notice or care?

Amen.

You could probably really get by with a new video card (and possible requisite mobo/RAM) to allow you to play Oblivion, the 4000+ is not a slouch.

I decided to do a X2 4200+ / Asus A8R-MVP because the combo only cost me $219. I'm not looking back, even if I could get a conroe/mobo for just $150 more.
August 7, 2006 7:16:05 PM

butthen the idea about an e6400 being the same as a fx-62 is just telling me im saving money already.

is the 4000+ better than the 4200?
August 7, 2006 8:29:36 PM

Quote:
question: can the e6400 be overclocked to the fx-62 processor?

Yes, in fact the E6300 can achieve FX-62 level performance as well, it just takes a little bit more overclocking.

Edit: @ dt's last post, Technically.... no. The 4200 sports a higher clock speed but the 4000 has double the cache. Once programs are better written to take full advantage of available cache, the 4000 will beat the 4200, but that hasn't happened yet.
August 7, 2006 8:40:00 PM

OMG it just keeps getting better and better.

i got 1167.81 saved up at the moment and im willing to buy this today.

question is can i fit everything in this price.

not getting the lcd or a hard drive becuase i have one already. ( though i would like to have another monitor and hd it cant happen today)

any ways for me to fit this....?
August 7, 2006 8:52:54 PM

lol...

My statement was in context, ie the 4000+ is a mediocre chip to upgrade to.

Simply put, the fact that it is outpaced by a fairly medium-range single-core CPU more than 6 months older would (imo) make it a poor candidate for basing a new system around.

The 4000+ isn't a bad chip - heck of course its better than a 3000+ Athlon XP (or indeed the 1800+ in my old PC of 6 months ago!) - but in the context of a new build when compared to the new Conroe it begins to look a poor choice.

Just mho.

I'm afraid TP will probably be able to tell you alot more about Conroe boards. My PC knowledge tends to encompass things I have bought, am going to buy, or considered buying.

That means I won't really know anything about Conroe boards until my next build, unless I get really bored and do some reading. I only have a finite number of braincells so I just fill 'em with stuff im gonna use in the immediate future!
August 7, 2006 9:57:42 PM

o joy as i would usually say

i think the Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard might help me out.
i have heard it has good over clocking abilities.
August 8, 2006 12:05:55 AM

people say it doesnt work on newegg... umm does it work for the mobo im using?

yawns update. just ordered everything today. hopefulyl i get it before next week. i NEED it before next week ....

just wanna play with my pc before school starts...
August 8, 2006 5:04:08 AM

Quote:
I know, some folks might think I am posting the same stuff again and again, but what the heck, it can save you some $$.

I do that all the time.... people don't get offended or call you out on it. If you're saving someone money on a part, no one complains if you've suggested it to 7 other people that day. Especially if you're posting a part that not only is cheaper, but also performs better.
August 8, 2006 9:34:23 AM

if anyone wants to use a good build here it is

10.98 - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

205.95 - Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard

$62.98 - Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU PCIE Ready Model SP500

284.99 - BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" LCD Monitor

254.00 - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

258.47 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Multi-Core Technology

- $94.99 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

total - $1511.09 ( yes i know, your probably saying damn thats a good price. thats something you CaNt get from dell or from compaq :)  )

i think i did pretty good on this . if you wanna save some more money hit the e6300. you will still save some good cash. i have seen the e6300 hit speeds up to 3.42 ghz on aIr

this is all i will need right?
!