WD 2500KS or Seagate ST3250620AS

XanderV

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
The diference betwin them is NCQ. WD does not have, but is it that important in performance?
Which one?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
NCQ increases speed overall. Get that one over the other.

depends, thats not always true, and is usually not. Get whatever's cheaper.

P.S i'm getting 2 wd2500ks's and puting em in RAID 0 8)I agree. NCQ helps for servers, but not much on the desktop. The Seagate is nice though, having Perpendicular Recording...but i don't like buying brand new tech, until it has a little time under it's belt. :?

Well I havent looked at the benchmarks saying NCQ performs slower for the average user but it seems in some cases it does. So you might want to look up those test results and see if the majority of what you do will be slower on NCQ.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Well I havent looked at the benchmarks saying NCQ performs slower for the average user but it seems in some cases it does. So you might want to look up those test results and see if the majority of what you do will be slower on NCQ.
Check out some reviews on storagereview.com. For some reason the Maxtors get a benefit from NCQ, but the others don't get much and sometimes suffer from it.

NCQ increases speed overall. Get that one over the other.

depends, thats not always true, and is usually not. Get whatever's cheaper.

P.S i'm getting 2 wd2500ks's and puting em in RAID 0 8)I agree. NCQ helps for servers, but not much on the desktop. The Seagate is nice though, having Perpendicular Recording...but i don't like buying brand new tech, until it has a little time under it's belt. :?

I agree with 1Tanker. Also, I have 4 WD2500KS drives. 2 in raid-1 for critical data/work and 2 for general storage. All have worked flawlessly since day one and they run cool.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Ya i'm getting WD for its reputation of being reliable, seagate also has a good rep but wd's is better. The wd also uses slightly less power if that matters. For performance, NCQ is a lot less important compared to high platter density which is where the seagate beats the WD. Overall they perform about the same, and since i think the WD is cheaper, and probably more reliable.

P.S i'm actually getting 2 of the RAID edition WD's like that, for 10 bucks canadaian more, for even more reliablility 8)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Ya i'm getting WD for its reputation of being reliable, seagate also has a good rep but wd's is better. The wd also uses slightly less power if that matters. For performance, NCQ is a lot less important compared to high platter density which is where the seagate beats the WD. Overall they perform about the same, and since i think the WD is cheaper, and probably more reliable.

P.S i'm actually getting 2 of the RAID edition WD's like that, for 10 bucks canadaian more, for even more reliablility 8)
I'm a WD guy through and through, the only reason i would pick the Seagate is for their superior warranty. That is their claim to fame.They used to be quieter, cooler and more reliable, but the others(Maxtor excluded) have caught up in those areas.