Deciding Between Burners

Soupman

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
What's up y'all!

OK, I was gonna go with the NEC first.

I started talking to one of my friends, and he told me to go with this Plextor burner instead. He told me they're a lot better quality.

Another bud of mine told me to go with this Samsung model.

I think you can see the dilemma I'm in here. :lol:

All I'm lookin' for is a good burner that'll get the job done. I don't care what brand it is, as long as it does the job it was meant to do, and do it well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Samsung-Toshiba-NEC are all the same thing: there a joint venture for producing optical devices.
Plextor uses Lite-on opticals and mechs: they are a very little better in access times (but who notice that in a CD/DVD?), they cost as much as double and have identical optical performance.

So it's up to you, I personally use Samsung: tried the Plextor, but found no improvement in speed or quality despite the quite double price.

177ine177ine

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Go with the 3550 Nec. Often one of the best sellers and is by far the indisputed king in reliability and price. All my systems have used this CD/DVD drive and I have or have had ZERO problems with it.[/list]

And ya, the bold thing is annoying.

G

Just go with the cheapest you can get; Liteon, NEC...whatever; they'll fail anyway after some time.

And for crying out loud; STOP writing in bold...

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I've used tons for my own / other builds, but my last couple of burners have been Sony and i've been very happy with them.

Currently using DRU-810a, nice because it has interchangeable fascias (white looks nice with P150 :))

PS. STAY. AWAY. FROM. MSI.

unless firmware updates get you hard

thanks.