Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What kind of a person has this many keys?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 2:25:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

(Bonus points to anyone who can identify the game that quote came from...)

But seriously, folks, I'm developping quite the collection of keys, and it's
getting to be something of a problem. I just counted, and I have over 90
keys wasting space in my inventory. They have no weight, so it's not
causing any undue encumberance, but it just plain takes up space.
Particuarly since they decided for whatever reason that the keys appear *in
between* the lockpicks and the probes, two items which you very commonly
want to use right around the same time. I'm not sure if I should just dump
them all somewhere, though, since it's possible they'll come in handy again
in some places. I've had times where a key I found in one part of the game
will open a door in a completely different place. The worst part is that
the majority of these keys have extremely-unhelpful non-descriptive names,
like "Rusty Key" or "Ornate Silver Key", etc. Now, it's pretty obvious when
the key is named "Key to Lower Arkgthand" that the key has one specific
purpose, and if I've already gotten everything I can get out of Lower
Arkgthand, then it's probably safe to say I don't need that key anymore.
But with these other generic keys, it's pretty much impossible to say by now
where I got them, what they're good for, and if there's still any reason to
keep them around. Of course, these days, I'm opening most locks with picks
and probes, so maybe it is possible that I could just dump the whole load
and forget about it. But there have been times, admittedly rare, where the
game is specifically programmed not to allow you to open a chest or door
without the key that's made for it, no matter how good you are at picking
locks, so hence my dilemma. Is there some way I could solve this little
problem? I'd be happy if they just didn't show up when you use the MISC
filter on your inventory. Make a new filter category, just for keys.
(Thinking about it, several other new filter categories would be pretty
sweet as well - scrolls, potions, ingredients, divide apparel into clothing,
armor, and jewelry... Hmm. I wonder if that's possible or not...) Or if
there were just some way of being sure I'd never need some of these keys
again. I'd really like to get rid of the darn things...

More about : kind person keys

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:57:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Yes, sigh, key inventory is a bit too realistically implemented in this
game. What I do is leave most of my keys in one spot (such as a chest
in a mod house or on the floor of the mages guild in Balmora) so that I
can--in principle--return for them later. Once you get so you can open
a 100 level lock and deal with traps, you don't really need any
particular key. I have NEVER gone back to my collection of Rusty Old
Keys to get one I've left behind.

BTW, have you ever droped that key to lower Angmumble and seen how
enormous it is?!
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:45:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Got the same problem.
I ended up leaving all the keys in Balmora, and just used magic to jump back
there if I ever needed them.


"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
news:LsCdnUDw1qeQhSDcRVn-rQ@giganews.com...
> (Bonus points to anyone who can identify the game that quote came from...)
>
> But seriously, folks, I'm developping quite the collection of keys, and
> it's
> getting to be something of a problem. I just counted, and I have over 90
> keys wasting space in my inventory. They have no weight, so it's not
> causing any undue encumberance, but it just plain takes up space.
> Particuarly since they decided for whatever reason that the keys appear
> *in
> between* the lockpicks and the probes, two items which you very commonly
> want to use right around the same time. I'm not sure if I should just
> dump
> them all somewhere, though, since it's possible they'll come in handy
> again
> in some places. I've had times where a key I found in one part of the
> game
> will open a door in a completely different place. The worst part is that
> the majority of these keys have extremely-unhelpful non-descriptive names,
> like "Rusty Key" or "Ornate Silver Key", etc. Now, it's pretty obvious
> when
> the key is named "Key to Lower Arkgthand" that the key has one specific
> purpose, and if I've already gotten everything I can get out of Lower
> Arkgthand, then it's probably safe to say I don't need that key anymore.
> But with these other generic keys, it's pretty much impossible to say by
> now
> where I got them, what they're good for, and if there's still any reason
> to
> keep them around. Of course, these days, I'm opening most locks with
> picks
> and probes, so maybe it is possible that I could just dump the whole load
> and forget about it. But there have been times, admittedly rare, where
> the
> game is specifically programmed not to allow you to open a chest or door
> without the key that's made for it, no matter how good you are at picking
> locks, so hence my dilemma. Is there some way I could solve this little
> problem? I'd be happy if they just didn't show up when you use the MISC
> filter on your inventory. Make a new filter category, just for keys.
> (Thinking about it, several other new filter categories would be pretty
> sweet as well - scrolls, potions, ingredients, divide apparel into
> clothing,
> armor, and jewelry... Hmm. I wonder if that's possible or not...) Or if
> there were just some way of being sure I'd never need some of these keys
> again. I'd really like to get rid of the darn things...
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 9:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

> Yes, sigh, key inventory is a bit too realistically implemented in this
> game. What I do is leave most of my keys in one spot (such as a chest
> in a mod house or on the floor of the mages guild in Balmora) so that I
> can--in principle--return for them later. Once you get so you can open
> a 100 level lock and deal with traps, you don't really need any
> particular key. I have NEVER gone back to my collection of Rusty Old
> Keys to get one I've left behind.

I know for a fact, however, that there are some specific doors which
absolutely require the key. I can think of two off-hand. One is the chest
belonging to the priest in Fort Frostmoth, where you discover he's been
hoarding liquor, and the other is the Cavern of the Incarnate, though
technically Azura's Star is not really a key, but it is required anyhow.
(That was a sonofabitch when I finally found the place, and then realized I
had to go ALL the way back to my house in Balmora, get my star, and then
come back again... What this game really needs is an equivalent of the Town
Portal scroll like Diablo has. Quick trip to town, and then return to where
you were again. Mark/Recall just doesn't cut it for this sort of thing.)

> BTW, have you ever droped that key to lower Angmumble and seen how
> enormous it is?!

Hmm, no, not really. Then again, I didn't recieve that key until well AFTER
I'd already picked the lock myself and gotten in that way. (I think I was
still using scrolls at the time) I searched that whole lower area in vain
for the Dwemer Puzzle box the guy was asking me for before I realized it was
in the top section in a place that isn't all that obvious.


On a side note, I noticed in the Construction Set that there's an item
called the Skeleton Key, which can supposedly pick any lock, and doesn't
wear out like lockpicks? Is this incredibly hard to find? Not being in the
Thieves' Guild, I suspect I won't ever see it, so I'm not holding out much
hope, but if there's another way to get it, I might go look for that, and
then throw out all these picks and probes as well...
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 9:23:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

I seem to be developing the same problem. I have all these keys from
smugglers' dens and random dungeons. I also have a key that some drunken
Nord gave me but I haven't followed up on that quest. I want to ditch my
keys but I am afraid that I will need them later on. You see, once I was in
a random slavers' hideout and I found a non-descript key after killing all
the slavers. I started to free the slaves using the non-descript key and
after I freed all the slaves in this one cage, I just dropped the key.
Then, I explored the cave some more and I found some more slaves in another
cage!!! I tried to go back to find the slave key that I dropped but I
couldn't find it! I looked and I looked, but it was nowhere to be found. I
really felt sorry for those slaves, so from then on, I never dropped another
key again.


"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
news:LsCdnUDw1qeQhSDcRVn-rQ@giganews.com...
> (Bonus points to anyone who can identify the game that quote came from...)
>
> But seriously, folks, I'm developping quite the collection of keys, and
it's
> getting to be something of a problem. I just counted, and I have over 90
> keys wasting space in my inventory. They have no weight, so it's not
> causing any undue encumberance, but it just plain takes up space.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:11:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

>>Yes, sigh, key inventory is a bit too realistically implemented in this
>>game. What I do is leave most of my keys in one spot (such as a chest
>>in a mod house or on the floor of the mages guild in Balmora) so that I
>>can--in principle--return for them later. Once you get so you can open
>>a 100 level lock and deal with traps, you don't really need any
>>particular key. I have NEVER gone back to my collection of Rusty Old
>>Keys to get one I've left behind.
>
>
> I know for a fact, however, that there are some specific doors which
> absolutely require the key. I can think of two off-hand. One is the chest
> belonging to the priest in Fort Frostmoth, where you discover he's been
> hoarding liquor, and the other is the Cavern of the Incarnate, though
> technically Azura's Star is not really a key, but it is required anyhow.
> (That was a sonofabitch when I finally found the place, and then realized I
> had to go ALL the way back to my house in Balmora, get my star, and then
> come back again... What this game really needs is an equivalent of the Town
> Portal scroll like Diablo has. Quick trip to town, and then return to where
> you were again. Mark/Recall just doesn't cut it for this sort of thing.)
>
>
What??? The Cavern of the Incarnate definitely does Not require that
you have Azura's Star. I completed this mission long before going after
the key. All you have to do is wait for the right time of day. I don't
remember the priest's chest needing a key, but that was before yesterday :) 


>>BTW, have you ever droped that key to lower Angmumble and seen how
>>enormous it is?!
>
>
> Hmm, no, not really. Then again, I didn't recieve that key until well AFTER
> I'd already picked the lock myself and gotten in that way. (I think I was
> still using scrolls at the time) I searched that whole lower area in vain
> for the Dwemer Puzzle box the guy was asking me for before I realized it was
> in the top section in a place that isn't all that obvious.
>
>
> On a side note, I noticed in the Construction Set that there's an item
> called the Skeleton Key, which can supposedly pick any lock, and doesn't
> wear out like lockpicks? Is this incredibly hard to find? Not being in the
> Thieves' Guild, I suspect I won't ever see it, so I'm not holding out much
> hope, but if there's another way to get it, I might go look for that, and
> then throw out all these picks and probes as well...
>
>
The Skeleton key is just a Very good lockpick. It does wear out. I
have a bunch of lockpicks and probes and just have them hotkeyed so I
don't have to search for them when needed.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:56:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:06:23 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>I know for a fact, however, that there are some specific doors which
>absolutely require the key. I can think of two off-hand. One is the chest
>belonging to the priest in Fort Frostmoth, where you discover he's been
>hoarding liquor, and the other is the Cavern of the Incarnate, though
>technically Azura's Star is not really a key, but it is required anyhow.

The Cavern does NOT require the item 'Azura's Star'. It's exactly the
same solution as Holamayan.

>On a side note, I noticed in the Construction Set that there's an item
>called the Skeleton Key, which can supposedly pick any lock, and doesn't
>wear out like lockpicks? Is this incredibly hard to find?

I believe it's a reward you can get from the Thieves Guild, but I think
that it does wear out.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:30:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

On 13 Dec 2004 08:57:27 -0800, "DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Yes, sigh, key inventory is a bit too realistically implemented in this
>game. What I do is leave most of my keys in one spot (such as a chest
>in a mod house or on the floor of the mages guild in Balmora) so that I
>can--in principle--return for them later. Once you get so you can open
>a 100 level lock and deal with traps, you don't really need any
>particular key. I have NEVER gone back to my collection of Rusty Old
>Keys to get one I've left behind.

Heh heh - one of the things that I most liked about Arcanum is that
there was a merchant who would sell you a keyring which was basically
a treasure chest for keys. You put all your keys on the keyring which
stayed in your inventory and you never saw your keys again unless you
clicked on the keyring.

That and the cross-country "waypoint" system were the two things I
liked most about the game. That and the dog.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:34:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

> I seem to be developing the same problem. I have all these keys from
> smugglers' dens and random dungeons. I also have a key that some drunken
> Nord gave me but I haven't followed up on that quest. I want to ditch my
> keys but I am afraid that I will need them later on. You see, once I was
in
> a random slavers' hideout and I found a non-descript key after killing all
> the slavers. I started to free the slaves using the non-descript key and
> after I freed all the slaves in this one cage, I just dropped the key.
> Then, I explored the cave some more and I found some more slaves in
another
> cage!!! I tried to go back to find the slave key that I dropped but I
> couldn't find it! I looked and I looked, but it was nowhere to be found.
I
> really felt sorry for those slaves, so from then on, I never dropped
another
> key again.

Detect Key is good for this. Problem is, in certain places, if you drop a
small item like a key, you'll never see it again. Often if there's a carpet
on the ground, it will fall right through and land under the carpet so you
can't see it unless you use TCL, go through the floor and look at it from
below. I once lost Azura's Star for a while that way. (Believe me I was
pretty pissed off about that...) I also make a point not to ever drop any
item where there's water. (Swamp water is the worst, since you can't see
through it, and it's never deep enough to swim through, so you can't get
your head under. I've lost important items that way as well, and had to TCL
to get them back.) I think a better plan on reflection would be to make a
habit of thoroughly exploring the cave, and then just before you leave, drop
the key on the floor right in front of the door. That way, if you ever need
to come back for any reason, you know right where it is. Too bad I didn't
think of this about 90-something keys ago...
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:42:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

> >I know for a fact, however, that there are some specific doors which
> >absolutely require the key. I can think of two off-hand. One is the
chest
> >belonging to the priest in Fort Frostmoth, where you discover he's been
> >hoarding liquor, and the other is the Cavern of the Incarnate, though
> >technically Azura's Star is not really a key, but it is required anyhow.
>
> The Cavern does NOT require the item 'Azura's Star'. It's exactly the
> same solution as Holamayan.

Hmm. That's odd. The first time I came, it said "The Star is the key", so
I left and came back with Azura's Star, and it opened. Either I was lucky
to come back at just the right time with the Star, or having Azura's Star in
your inventory negates the need to come at a specific time. Either way, it
worked for me.

> >On a side note, I noticed in the Construction Set that there's an item
> >called the Skeleton Key, which can supposedly pick any lock, and doesn't
> >wear out like lockpicks? Is this incredibly hard to find?
>
> I believe it's a reward you can get from the Thieves Guild, but I think
> that it does wear out.

Oh. Well, what's the point of that? I can get as many Grand Master's picks
as I want, and I never need anything better. In fact, even with my
relatively low Security skill (40-something), I can still open most locks
with Journeyman's picks or even Apprentice's picks. (I stopped picking up
Apprentice's picks because I had so many. I now won't pick up anything less
than Master's, just to conserve weight. I've still got about 40
Journeyman's in my inventory.) I'd think that any character who's a good
enough thief to make it that high in the Guild would have a much higher
Security skill, and thus would have no need of the high quality tools, since
he could probably open tough locks even with the cheap stuff. Plus, the
idea of a unique one-of-a-kind item that can wear out is - just, well,
wrong, somehow. Unless you can repair it, that would be cool. Would save a
bit of encumberance that way.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 1:15:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

John Lau wrote:
> I seem to be developing the same problem. I have all these keys from
> smugglers' dens and random dungeons. I also have a key that some drunken
> Nord gave me but I haven't followed up on that quest. I want to ditch my
> keys but I am afraid that I will need them later on. You see, once I was in
> a random slavers' hideout and I found a non-descript key after killing all
> the slavers. I started to free the slaves using the non-descript key and
> after I freed all the slaves in this one cage, I just dropped the key.
> Then, I explored the cave some more and I found some more slaves in another
> cage!!! I tried to go back to find the slave key that I dropped but I
> couldn't find it! I looked and I looked, but it was nowhere to be found. I
> really felt sorry for those slaves, so from then on, I never dropped another
> key again.

There is a spell that can help you, detect key. Enchant a ring, find a
enchantment or learn the spell.

Chris
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 11:33:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

With a very few exceptions, you'll never need a key again after you've
used it once. And most locks, you don't need a key if you've got a
decent Security skill, or skill in Alteration and some unlocking spells.

I usually dump all the keys I collect in a single container, in
whichever housing mod I'm using at the moment. If you're not using a
housing mod, you'd need to find a place to stash your loot anyway. You
may as well claim one of those bandit caves you cleared, and use it for
storage -- the one in Seyda Neen downhill from the Silt Strider is a
convenient one to use from nearly the start of the game.

Still, I can't remember ever actually needing to retrieve a key I'd left
behind.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 11:56:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

"Brian G. Vaughan" wrote:
>
> You
> may as well claim one of those bandit caves you cleared, and use it for
> storage -- the one in Seyda Neen downhill from the Silt Strider is a
> convenient one to use from nearly the start of the game.

I've always been wary of doing this - don't some of the containers in
caves randomly respawn their contents, removing whatever is in them at
the time? I'd hate to see my stash of ebony weapons turn into a few
sticks of saltrice when my back was turned!!
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 9:22:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.morrowind (More info?)

> With a very few exceptions, you'll never need a key again after you've
> used it once. And most locks, you don't need a key if you've got a
> decent Security skill, or skill in Alteration and some unlocking spells.
>
> I usually dump all the keys I collect in a single container, in
> whichever housing mod I'm using at the moment. If you're not using a
> housing mod, you'd need to find a place to stash your loot anyway. You
> may as well claim one of those bandit caves you cleared, and use it for
> storage -- the one in Seyda Neen downhill from the Silt Strider is a
> convenient one to use from nearly the start of the game.

I've been using Dura-Gra-Bol's house in Balmora. After the Fighter's Guild
quest where you kill him, I figured nobody else needed his house. You
should see the place now. Unique weapons all over the bed, several complete
sets of armor on the floor, my Grand Masters alchemy set on the dining room
table, rings, amulets, belts, gloves, soul gems, cursed Dremora
Lord-summoning gems all laid out on the shelves, special helmets and shields
on the first flight of stairs, potions around the 2nd story landing, books
on the 3rd story landing, scrolls stacked around on the top floor, more
weapons in the crates, categorized alchemical ingredients filling up all the
baskets, barrels, and urns, a limeware bowl filled with all my non-cursed
gems, piles of raw glass, ebony, and adamantium, etc. And that's not
counting the whole huge pile of Daedric and Ebony weapons and such I've got
piled around on the Mudcrab Merchant's island, all waiting to be sold every
time I visit. I just collect everything. Just so happens I've got a free
cloth sack there, where I'm now storing all my keys...

> Still, I can't remember ever actually needing to retrieve a key I'd left
> behind.

I have found at least 2 situations where I absolutely needed the key, but
yeah, they are pretty rare.
!