Where are the am2 x2 5000+

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Since the 5000+ is made by AMD, I guess the shortage is due to super heavy demand alone.

Of course, if it was made by Intel, it was probably a paper launch.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I been trying to find the am2 x2 5000+for a few weeks and no retailer seams to have one. Was this a paper launch?

Baron will say no I will say yes.

The FX62 and X2 4600+ are both available in retail EVERYWHERE so there is something else involved. I would say that they are ALL (5000+) GOING TO system builders.

I posted a thread saing that this would be the most popular chip for awhile. Especially at UNDER $400. It IS basically an FX61.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I been trying to find the am2 x2 5000+for a few weeks and no retailer seams to have one. Was this a paper launch?

The FX62 and X2 4600+ are both available in retail EVERYWHERE so there is something else involved. I would say that they are ALL (5000+) GOING TO system builders.

I posted a thread saing that this would be the most popular chip for awhile. Especially at UNDER $400. It IS basically an FX61.

Fail

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm buying one and one of the admins said they are getting a new shipment soon... like this week. The in stock says 2-5 days, so crossing fingers it will be available.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
There are two arguments to this, a bull view and a bear view ---

a) The price drop created such a huge demand that they are selling out and supply cannot keep up.

b) The yields are sooooo low that they simply cannot more manufacture more than a few thousand, again supply cannot keep up with demand.

Here is the ticket. Prior to AM2 launch, the highest speed AMD processor was 2.6 GHz, which was an FX-60. Upon AM2 release, and the FX-62 release the top bin part was a 2.8 GHz FX-62 and the 2.6 GHz became the X2 5000+ (i.e. the prior refresh top bin speed). We can easily assume that the 2.8 GHz is a low yielded high speed top bin, and this is why AMD charges the price they charge --- the question is, at this refresh, did they get design/process to populate the 2.6 GHz sufficiently to call this part a mainstream high yielding part.....

We won't know for a few more months, at least not until demand satiates sufficiently to see if supply catches up --- if not, then this suggests that they have pegged out the 90 nm process not at 2.8 GHz but more like at 2.6 GHz.

Jack

I would suggest that AMD might sell those 2.6GHz parts as Opterons if all the L2 cache works as the profit margin is much higher with Opterons.

Also do you remember the top-spin of Dothan is much lower than 2.6GHz?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Hey, Baron --- could you go configure me up a d4500e series computer at HP.COM with a 5000+ CPU and tell me the price, I have a hard time understanding their web page at times:

Here is the link to do a configuration:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=d4500e_series&catLevel=3&category=desktops/hp_pavilion/d4000_series&storeName=computer_store

According to the d4000 series page:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops/hp_pavilion&series_name=d4000_series&catLevel=2

The processor for this serieis is:

Processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processors up to 5000+

Oddly, I cannot see a selection for a 5000+, hmmmm --- doesn't look like they are going to ALL the OEMs --- HP is AMDs best customer, why don't they have it?

Admittedly, I expect that Dell will get the lion's share. There have been reputable reports from Taiwan that Quanta IS assembling AMD systems.

I would say that the 3600+ and 5000+ will be the first Dell systems. By using those two chips they can cover the whole range from entry level dual core with IGP to watercooled OC with Quad SLI.

I always send people to MonarchComputer. They have them for the Furia systems at $382(chip cost). Monarch may have offered a better price (slightly higher). They also don't have them for retail.

That is the best sign that Dell will be adopting this. As I said if the FX62 weren't available I might think there was a problem, but everyone has them so I highly doubt they can get adequate supplies of FX and not X2 -at any speed.

I didn't see the 5000+ on HP either, but HP is more server oriented with AMD. They do have a good deal on a Turion X2 though.

Brutus506

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I'm buying one and one of the admins said they are getting a new shipment soon... like this week. The in stock says 2-5 days, so crossing fingers it will be available.
one of the admins from where?? Newegg??

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Actually, I am just razzing up Baron again --- his claim is that they are all going to OEMs and that is not the case, the OEMs don't have them so they don't list them --- it is still supply and demand, I like your alternative explanation better. Opty's are giving them the higher profit margin --- if they are testing out good enough, man throw that sucker in the Opty pile. This would be smart.

Hector Ruiz once said in so many words --- I will screw the consumer to move more into enterprise. So to speak. He knows where the green flows.

Then is that most of the so-called "Windsor" cores are in fact crippled Santa Ana or Santa Rosa? 8O

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Worst than that --- if you build an HP AMD system you only get the option of DDR2-533, yuck what's this all about --- 533 is gonna suck with any X2 processor, not to mention that the memory divider will down clock that further (not an even multiple of 200) --- darn, HP is ripping people off.

I look at the DDR2 controversy the same I way I looked at the DDR latency vs. speed ratings. As an example,

PC2100 was the best latency and size.
PC2700 had good latency and 4GB chips
PC3200 had good latency but only 2GB chips

WHen PC3200 first came out the latency was OK, but as it went on the latency got better and enabled more speed from the DDR bus.

DDR2 533 will run at DDR latencies which gives a good experience. Of course HP should offer the 667 and 800 but I guess they're cheap.

My DDR is running at 3-3-3-8 and I have no issues.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
I look at the DDR2 controversy the same I way I looked at the DDR latency vs. speed ratings. As an example,

PC2100 was the best latency and size.
PC2700 had good latency and 4GB chips
PC3200 had good latency but only 2GB chips

WHen PC3200 first came out the latency was OK, but as it went on the latency got better and enabled more speed from the DDR bus.

DDR2 533 will run at DDR latencies which gives a good experience. Of course HP should offer the 667 and 800 but I guess they're cheap.

My DDR is running at 3-3-3-8 and I have no issues.

Did you read X-bit Lab's review on AM2 memory performance?
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-socket-am2_12.html

[edited, sorry typo]

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
one of the admins from where?? Newegg??

It was NCIX....Back on July 25 they said maybe 2 weeks, and then they will have a small shipment, then shortly after, like another week probably, they will start getting large shipments. The first shipments will go to people who preordered a while ago(not me), so soon i will be able to get one! :lol:

to just stay within 20% of Core 2 Duo, you need that DDR2-800 with the tight timings... forget the budget RAM, you need to pony up another 400-500 bucks beyond the MB and CPU to get the best memory.

Thats not completly true... I'm getting DDR2 800 with mine, and it only costs $300 for 2 gigs of Corsair xms2 with 4-4-4-12, which is pretty good. Yes there is a slightly better version for twice the price, but only an idiot would buy that. :p

octop8

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
What's wrong with this forum? Virtually all CPU threads are turned into flame threads. From that m*r*n who writes "Fail" everywhere to monkeys who answer questions "should I buy this/that" with answers like: "why buy that, you are stupid" / "you must be stupid to consider that AMD chip because the FX-62 costs double the E6700 and can't even beat the E6600, therefore AMD is shit" / "Intel are evil liars because Conroe is a paper launch" bla bla bla.

Anyway I agree with the OP on the X2 5000, I've been trying to get one since it was first launched. Don't know if any retailers ever got any stock at all. I ordered one from a pr*ck on eb*y who keeps insisting to THIS day that he posted the CPU to me even though he probably never even got stock. Ended up with a X2 4600 - but am now waiting for a nForce 5 mobo to go with my E6600. So I am a NEUTRAL - before anyone here starts flaming me for even considering an X2 5000 since "the FX-62 costs double the E6700 and can't even beat the E6600, therefore AMD is shit and you are stupid".