Suggest Parts List(?)

After looking at various 'systems' vendors, I've decided my next pc should be one I build myself. While I have sufficient pc experience to have the confidence to do the actual build, I really don't follow the h/w side of things closely.....in fact, only very superficially.

After bouncing around here at TH for a while yesterday trying to figure out what best might suit my needs, it seems getting up to speed on h/w to make intelligent decisions is not something that will happen overnite. So I thought maybe someone could direct me to/suggest a list of parts that might fit the following requirements......

The 3 most important.....
* Run Photoshop CS2 (RAM probably most important...minimum 1gb, probably consider 2gb)
* Graphics card must be fully DX9 compliant for a flight sim I wish to install (nVidia GeForce 6800 and later seem popular/work well for this sim)
* I probably won't be in the first round of those who upgrade to Vista when released, but chances are I will within the first year thereafter.

Other general ideas....
* Don't need to be the latest/greatest or biggest/baddest in any part.
* I'll *probably* never do any overclocking (never have yet)
* Don't need fancy lighted cases (have used 'towers' in the past and would be fine with same again)
* Would prefer to stay away from water cooling (unless the general consensus of opinion is that's a must these days)
* Already have mice, keyboards, monitors, etc

Budget: anything under $1k(US) would be fine....anything less would be great.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions?

Many thanks!
16 answers Last reply
More about suggest parts list
  1. CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

RAM: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Mobo: Abit AB9 Pro

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 480W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Total before taxes and shipping: $919.95
  2. Antec Truepower and Smartpower don't have any PFC (Power Factor Correction) which protects against things like voltage fluctuations and electrical irregularities that can affect your power supply.

There are three types of PFC: active, passive, and no-PFC. Active PFC provides the best protection, while no-PFC provides the worst.

XCLIO X14S4P3 500W ATX 500W ($95)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189012
    triple dual rail with good amps
    Active PFC
    Modular

ENERMAX Noisetaker II EG495P-VE ATX12V 485W ($90)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194009
    dual 12v rail with really strong amps (22), Active PFC

SILVERSTONE SST-ST50EF ATX12V 500W ($85)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256001
    dual 12v rails
    good amps
    Active PFC

COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W ($50)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159040
    dual 12v rails
    good amps
    Active PFC
    excellent specs for the price
  3. Wow.... I never noticed that..... thanks for bringing it up.
  4. Thanks for the suggestions thus far. A couple follow-up questions ....

Does the Core 2 Intel processor not require an add-on heat sink fan? I ask only because I bumped into a reference to this......

http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2

....system somewhere here at TH. And they talk about the heat sink fan there. Then, just for grins, I went to Monarch just to see how much they would build that system for vs what it would cost me to do myself. And there was a specific field to select a heat sink fan there for this system.

When I went back to Monarch just now to check out some of the recommendations offered here, I notice they didn't even list a 'heat sink fan' field to make a choice. so, I'm assuming (danger!) the Core 2 must have whatever's needed included...or it comes on the mobo.(??)

Thanks again!
  5. It comes with a stock heatsink/fan combo.
  6. So long as you get a retail version of any of the Core 2's, you will get a heatsink with it. If you get an OEM version, you will need to buy an aftermarket cooler. Go for the retail version. The stock cooler for the Core 2's is more than enough for those chips. Only if you're going to be overclocking by more than 600Mhz will you need an aftermarket cooler.
  7. Anyone have any thoughts on the value of going with an SLI ready system at this point? Even if I don't employ 2 cards right now, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to help 'future-proof' the system a bit.(??)
  8. Quote:
    Wow.... I never noticed that..... thanks for bringing it up.

It's all good. I know it isn't something people really look at. My system is in such a state of flux most of the time (since I am constantly changing it) that I do alot of research before I buy components. By and large, it's watts that people look to but I put more emphasis on things like PFC, amps, rails, efficiency, etc. as you can usually find PSUs within a watt range with no problem but, it's the "little" and often "overlooked" things that can make a difference between a long running system or a post in the forums titled "Why isn't my system running?".
  9. Well, that depends on what you mean by "future-proof". 965 based boards don't allow for SLI or Crossfire but the 975 boards do (Crossfire). Now you have Nvidia preparing to allow SLI for the Intel chipsets. Of the 500 series Nvidia boards, I find the 590's really feature rich. But, really make sure if you intend on going SLI or Crossfire because you'd just be wasting time and energy on something you don't need to.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128323
    This is what I consider to be the best 965 board out because it is a MONSTER overclocker (unlike the ASUS top of the line 965 which has a limited FSB OCing ability). This board can go as high as around 410 FSB (it's quad multipled so that is something like 1660 or thereabouts). Yet, it has no Crossfire or SLI.

You'll have to go with the 975x chipsets or the 500 series chipsets for that.
  10. SLI and Crossfire are a waste of money anyway. If you can't get both cards within 2 months of each other, OR you won't be gaming at resolutions over 1600 x 1200, don't even bother wasting thoughts on it. If you get one card now and one 6 months down the road, another generation of card will be out that single handedly beats both your cards in SLI by a considerable margin.
  11. Re: SLI....thanks. I thought it kinda sounded like overkill and something I'd likely never actually get around to utilizing, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
  12. Asking is never a bad idea, unless of course you were to ask on this forum how to turn your computer on.
  13. Quote:
    Asking is never a bad idea, unless of course you were to ask on this forum how to turn your computer on.

Wouldn't do that, but might ask how come my cup holder doesn't slide out when I push the button on the front any longer. :D
  14. Quote:
    Wouldn't do that, but might ask how come my cup holder doesn't slide out when I push the button on the front any longer. :D

You know why it doesn't come out anymore? That's right..... I swiped that cup holder...... now if you'll excuse me... I need to go grab a drink... :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product