sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I hope this is in the right place so here goes. I'm building a new comp...nothing cutting edge though. Anyway, I was installing the motherboard and I noticed the backplate the snaps into place for the various ports on the mb have little tabs that stick out. Should these be removed? They seem to get in the way and end up sticking inside the lan ports when the mb is in place.

TheSatori

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2005
I might. The backplate look something like this?
backplate.jpg

If not, ignore my reply.

When the tabs are in the way, I normally bend the tabs just a little bit such that they no longer go into the ports, but above/beside/below them. I believe their purpose is to help you guide your motherboard such that your motherboard's ports are lined up with the holes on the backplate.

If your motherboard is an Asus motherboard, this might be the right place to post this message :p Though I would rather say it belongs to some more general howto section on building PCs, such as the General Homebuilt section.

Cheers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, sometimes it takes a while to get an answer, that's life! The tabs are meant to TOUCH the TOP of the port, for grounding. You bend them upwards so that they lay gently against the top of the port with the motherboard installed, then slide the board under them when installing it.

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I guessed that they were for grounding also but I wasn't sure...I don't mess with this stuff too often. They look like the ground strap on the Hellfire missile launcer so that where my idea came from. Anyway, sorry for seeming impatient. I just though no one had any idea of what I was talking about and that seemed strange to me with all the builders on this forum. Thanks again!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, they should be at approximately 85 degrees from the face of the plate, but they often get "flattened" in shipping. Also, some boards come in two versions, the cheaper version missing features...so its common for the company to ship the backplate for both versions with that port unbent.