Windows 2003 server add second processor ... after setup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Hello group,
First I apologise if i posted this in the incorrect group, as I searched
for hopefully the groups that might find answers to this question.

I am working with a client who has a HP ML350, with a Single Xeon 3.06
Ghz processor and they would like to add a second processor to this unit. I
remember under the Win 2000 shell you had to do some re-configuraiton of the
OS itself inorder to let 2000 to see the new processor... Is this the case
is 2003 Standard Edition?

The 2003 server is currently in a working network, and sadly, is also
their only domain controller.

I did find some documentation online about this, but it was very very
vauge and obviously not "specifically directed towards this". Here is the
supplied link: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=2471

Obviously this is Supermicro's response but is not an offical or
specific response from someone who has actually done this before...

Has anyone here done this before? What kind of difficulty did you run
into / or ease of installation?

Your response to me would be apprecaited !!! I do not check the groups
frequently, so if you can reply to the group, as well as reply to me
personally I would appreciate it !

My direct e-mail address is "rszkutak (at) gmail.com" < @ symbol
removed, please insert >

thanks in advance,
Rob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.technet (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:30:47 -0700, "Rob Szkutak" <rszkutak@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello group,
> First I apologise if i posted this in the incorrect group, as I searched
>for hopefully the groups that might find answers to this question.
>
> I am working with a client who has a HP ML350, with a Single Xeon 3.06
>Ghz processor and they would like to add a second processor to this unit. I
>remember under the Win 2000 shell you had to do some re-configuraiton of the
>OS itself inorder to let 2000 to see the new processor... Is this the case
>is 2003 Standard Edition?
>
> The 2003 server is currently in a working network, and sadly, is also
>their only domain controller.
>
> I did find some documentation online about this, but it was very very
>vauge and obviously not "specifically directed towards this". Here is the
>supplied link: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=2471
>
> Obviously this is Supermicro's response but is not an offical or
>specific response from someone who has actually done this before...
>
> Has anyone here done this before? What kind of difficulty did you run
>into / or ease of installation?
>
> Your response to me would be apprecaited !!! I do not check the groups
>frequently, so if you can reply to the group, as well as reply to me
>personally I would appreciate it !
>
>My direct e-mail address is "rszkutak (at) gmail.com" < @ symbol
>removed, please insert >
>

>thanks in advance,
>Rob

You must select the proper HAL, http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=309283

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Rob Szkutak" <rszkutak@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello group,
> First I apologise if i posted this in the incorrect group, as I
searched
> for hopefully the groups that might find answers to this question.
>
> I am working with a client who has a HP ML350, with a Single Xeon 3.06
> Ghz processor and they would like to add a second processor to this unit.
> remember under the Win 2000 shell you had to do some re-configuraiton of
the
> OS itself inorder to let 2000 to see the new processor... Is this the case
> is 2003 Standard Edition?
>
> The 2003 server is currently in a working network, and sadly, is also
> their only domain controller.
>
> I did find some documentation online about this, but it was very very
> vauge and obviously not "specifically directed towards this". Here is the
> supplied link: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=2471
>
> Obviously this is Supermicro's response but is not an offical or
> specific response from someone who has actually done this before...
>
> Has anyone here done this before? What kind of difficulty did you run
> into / or ease of installation?
>
> Your response to me would be apprecaited !!! I do not check the
groups
> frequently, so if you can reply to the group, as well as reply to me
> personally I would appreciate it !
>
> My direct e-mail address is "rszkutak (at) gmail.com" < @ symbol
> removed, please insert >
>

> thanks in advance,
> Rob

They are willing to fork out for a second Xeon processor but are unwilling
to stump up the necessary for an additional DC? Something very wrong there.
Perhaps they could explain what they would do if the sole DC went down.

Andy,.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.technet (More info?)

Yeah, Andy.. I have to agree.. I think they've got their priorities
backwards.

If their only DC needs a second processor.. then maybe whatever else is on
that DC ought to be moved to a second machine/second DC.

Shucks. for the cost of that second Xeon 3GHz processor, they could buy a
whole machine!