Balaji

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2004

Hi,

I have installed Windows XP Home edition in my new AMD
Athlon 64bit pc, and it is not starting up at all. is
there any problem with installing XP home edition on 64bit
processor?

reply to kota_balaji@hotmail.com

regards,
Balaji

[posted and mailed]

"Balaji" <kota_balaji@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have installed Windows XP Home edition in my new AMD
> Athlon 64bit pc, and it is not starting up at all. is
> there any problem with installing XP home edition on 64bit
> processor?

There's no problem with XP and Athlon64 processors, could you post all
the symptoms you're having when it fails to start up?

> reply to kota_balaji@hotmail.com

No. Replying to you personally rather than to the newsgroup prevents
others who may be having the same problem from seeing the fix and it
prevents others from helping with their ideas. All in all, not a good
idea however I will mail and post this.

"Balaji" <kota_balaji@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Windows XP Home edition in my new AMD
> Athlon 64bit pc, and it is not starting up at all. is
> there any problem with installing XP home edition on 64bit
> processor?

Balaji,

You should not be having any issues running your Windows XP Home Edition on
an AMD Athlon64 or Opteron processor as both of these x64 CPUs are capable
of running in 32-bit compatibility mode and executing our 32-bit operating
systems without major issues.

--

Regards,

Mike