Total: 12 votes

• Creative P5800
  • 34 %
  • Logitech X-530
  • 67 %
August 6, 2006 3:38:29 PM

Hi
I'm stuck in the choice between these 3 sets of speakers:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4...

or

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/E...

or

I'm gonna use them for gaming, movies and some music listening. I was considering a 2.1 because for the price I think they have some higher quality tough I would really like surround sound. pls help me choose the best of these 3 sets. one of the 5.1's would be better but if there is a big leap of quality between the 5.1 and the 2.1 tell me
tnx :D 

More about : choosing set speakers

August 6, 2006 4:13:42 PM

Dedicated sound card or onboard?
If a sound card, what kind?
August 6, 2006 4:49:10 PM

None of the above.

Get a set of these:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/E...

I've seen refurbished sets for $300 CAD (~230 USD). They blow everything else in the PC-speaker world out of the water.

The neatest thing (that you cant easily tell from the pics/description) is that the control module box (the silver thiny with the big nob) has THREE (3) inputs on the back. 1 Digital Optical, 1 Digital COAX and a 3-pack of Minijacks for analogue computer input (from a normal sound card).

This means that you can VERY easily plug a DVD player or a digital cable box into these speakers, change inputs with the input select button, and get full 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound from these guys.

Plus the 10" sub totally owns. I have two sets of these speakers, one for my living room TV (my 'baby' hometheater, I have a real theater in the basement), and one for my gaming box.

Trust me - if you need to wait an extra month or two to save up for these babies, its worth it. Don't settle for anything less than perfection!
Related resources
August 6, 2006 4:58:51 PM

I actually have a set of the logi 550's, for the $75 they cost you can't beat them, granted it's nothing like my home theater system. But if you place the sub right, they sound very clear and can get pretty load without distortion. A far better value per dollar than the digital one's mentioned above, and the sound quality difference won't be huge.
August 6, 2006 5:29:22 PM

JITPublisher : for now, its gonna be onboard (new build) but l8er I may get an audigy 4 or X-fi depending on budget.

telim : LOL nice joke!! well the its a new system so I'm gonna spend a lot of money at one time and those speakers (I admit) are tempting but I cant afford them. :( 
August 6, 2006 9:35:58 PM

Quote:
JITPublisher : for now, its gonna be onboard (new build) but l8er I may get an audigy 4 or X-fi depending on budget.

telim : LOL nice joke!! well the its a new system so I'm gonna spend a lot of money at one time and those speakers (I admit) are tempting but I cant afford them. :( 
Can you afford a pair of these? I have the Z2200...basically the same set, and they really pound for a 2.1 set.

@Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

@Logitech Website:

GL :) 
August 6, 2006 10:11:27 PM

I would go for the 2.1s form logitech. I have some and they sound good. no point spending the same on a 5.1 set as the wont sound very good and they will have a poor spl (sound presure level) and a lower wattage.
August 6, 2006 11:53:30 PM

In my experience, a dedicated sound card is really much better than on-board sound. On board just does not deliver the punch that even a mid-range sound card will supply, so you my be a little disappointed no matter what speakers you set up with. I think I'd go with the 530's and then when you have a little extra cash, pick up a decent sound card.
August 7, 2006 4:11:18 AM

Normally I would agree with this, but after owning the 550's I would say you won't be dissapointed unless you have some Mark Levinsons' in your house, or intend to fill an auditorium with loud music :) 
August 7, 2006 2:49:46 PM

Unless you really listen carefully, most people won't tell the difference. When it comes to 5.1 surround, however there is a noticable difference is placment accuracy and noise levels.

If you expect to play a lot of games with 5.1, get an audigy 2 for cheap, they sound just as good as an audigy 4 but don't have the latest eax support or other extras.
August 7, 2006 4:09:51 PM

Quote:
Hi
I'm stuck in the choice between these 3 sets of speakers:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4...

or

or

I'm gonna use them for gaming, movies and some music listening. I was considering a 2.1 because for the price I think they have some higher quality tough I would really like surround sound. pls help me choose the best of these 3 sets. one of the 5.1's would be better but if there is a big leap of quality between the 5.1 and the 2.1 tell me
tnx :D 

I'd get x-530. It has the dual driver stuff. which gives good highs and mids, the 5.25" is enough for a small room or close listening (as usually is on a pc). I'd discard the creative set, as it's satellites are single speaker (and they look kinda ugly :p ). The 2.1 from logitech seems to use a single 2" on the satellites, and if you notice the sub is "8-inch pressure driver", not a 8-inch driver. I've seen on a site once that this pressure driver stuff actually is a smaller driver behind a passive membrane (in this case an 8-inch). The smaller driver makes pressure on the membrane, and it "sounds" like an 8-inch. Between a fake 8-inch and a real 5.25 i'd get the real . also, i had a 2.1 system with a 5.25 sub and it kicked ass.
August 7, 2006 5:07:33 PM

This is a totally different take on speakers.

I compose music for a hobby, and music in general is a big hobby of mine.
I can sit for hours on end just listening to music.

Anyways, back to your question.

From my point of view i would go for a digital amplifier and some nice monitor speakers and hook it up to the spdif connector.
For example:

Harman Kardon, NAD or Rotel digital DTS receiver with one or two sets of B&W will out perform ANY pc loudspeaker system.

Or if budget is tight:

Marantz or Denon digital receiver with some wharfdales.

This way youll have a perfect pc speaker system that will last you a very long time and a very nice stereo to listen to.

I know it is way above the budget for the current choice but you will get so much more out of it.

If you realy need to choose between those options i'de go for the logitech 2.1 config. Betting those will give you the better sound quality.......if there is such a thing in pc speaker land......
August 7, 2006 7:43:59 PM

That's the thing, he doesn't seem to want a high end system.

In my case I have a great home theater that my htpc attaches to. And then I have my x530's that my highest end gaming rig attaches to. If I feel like really hearing what a game sounds like, I play on the htpc, but 99.9% of games sound "good enough" to play on my x530 system.

My home theater system is composed of over 3000 dollars of JBL Studio speakers, so I know the diff between pc and hi-fi (cheap hi-fi) sound. Games just can't push the hi-fi realm enough to necesitate that kind of expense.
August 7, 2006 8:08:53 PM

He said he also wanted to use it for his music listening needs.
August 7, 2006 8:35:06 PM

It's not that I dont want a high end system, its the budget which tightens me! I would really like to have a high end system but thats what I get at that price.
And aristotelus, yes I listen to music but not that much. I prefer watching movies and playing games :wink: and btw, its a bit difficult for me to buy products of those brands locally. so buying them from abroad won't help :?

don't take me wrong guys, I really appriceate your help and I'm taking in consideration all your suggestions. :) 

oh, and can you explain a bit better what jap0nes said about the woofer being fake?
August 7, 2006 9:27:00 PM

Quote:
This is a totally different take on speakers.

I compose music for a hobby, and music in general is a big hobby of mine.
I can sit for hours on end just listening to music.

Anyways, back to your question.

From my point of view i would go for a digital amplifier and some nice monitor speakers and hook it up to the spdif connector.
For example:

Harman Kardon, NAD or Rotel digital DTS receiver with one or two sets of B&W will out perform ANY pc loudspeaker system.

Or if budget is tight:

Marantz or Denon digital receiver with some wharfdales.

This way youll have a perfect pc speaker system that will last you a very long time and a very nice stereo to listen to.

I know it is way above the budget for the current choice but you will get so much more out of it.

If you realy need to choose between those options i'de go for the logitech 2.1 config. Betting those will give you the better sound quality.......if there is such a thing in pc speaker land......
Bryston. :wink:
August 7, 2006 9:33:16 PM

Bryston....hmmm...nice.....guessing it will be even more beyond budget.

BTW.....I meant in previous post to say, that second hand will probably be the way to go to stay within budget....
August 7, 2006 9:39:09 PM

Quote:
Bryston....hmmm...nice.....guessing it will be even more beyond budget.

BTW.....I meant in previous post to say, that second hand will probably be the way to go to stay within budget....
I bought the original PSB Stratus in 1989, and used to drool over the Bryston Amps..Never came up with the money, so i have Sony components on my PSB's :cry:  , yet it still sounds great.
August 8, 2006 1:18:56 AM

My marantz model 15 would sound better on those PSB's than any sony :)  Very nice speaker btw, and all I heard were the mini's; I can't see spending 2k on just a pair though. Guess I'm not that much of an audiophile.
August 8, 2006 6:59:35 AM

Quote:
My marantz model 15 would sound better on those PSB's than any sony :)  Very nice speaker btw, and all I heard were the mini's; I can't see spending 2k on just a pair though. Guess I'm not that much of an audiophile.
That was(1989) when i had lost my license for a year(impaired) :? , so i put the insurance/gas money savings towards them. They are also furniture to me....17 years later, and not a scratch. :wink: Beautiful oak cabinets.
August 8, 2006 8:54:29 AM

O dear, i did not meen to turn this thread into a audio thing.

I was merely pointing out that through second hand route or new if you can spent some extra cash, you could get a way better sound quality.
Also that way your computer becomes so much more than just a computer. It could become your music library or movie library accessible throughout the house.

I am pleasantly surprised that there other people looking further into the audio world.

BTW, i am not an audiophile either, i just love music.....
And i dont care if a 50 dollar device or a 5k dollar device will satisfy my listening needs.

The only problem is......my listening needs never lured me to a 50 dollar device....
Although i still use my bridged quad 303 amps in the bedroom, and i bought those second hand a while back for 75 euro each.

What are those PSB's btw, i never heard of them.
August 8, 2006 9:59:25 AM

The Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media ($150) is what I am using with the X-Fi EM soundcard. The sound is very rich and clear and works well either for entertainment and gaming. It's by far the best pc speakers I own. :) 

!