NLB

I have configred two node network load balancing using unicast mode but now I
cannot browse to internet. Can some one help me to resovle this isses?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering (More info?)

Hi Hitesh,

Since no one has responded to your posting, then I'll try to assist you to
the best of my ability. These are the steps and documents that I use when
talking to customers about ensuring that the Network Load Balance (NLB) is
setup correctly.

First, configure NLB on one NIC of the Node. Physical connection of this
NIC is very important. If you are using a Layer 3 switch you will need to
plug the NIC into a hub then uplink the hub to the L3 switch. If you are
using a Layer 2 switch you can plug the NIC directly into a port on the hub.

There is a registry setting called MaskSourceMac that needs to correspond to
the physical connection of the NLB NIC. If you are plugged directly into
the L2 switch you will need to set MSM=1. If you are using a hub that is up
linked to the switch set MSM=0 (see KB193602 below)

If you want traffic to come into the NLB NIC then all subsequent traffic to
go out of the second (non-NLB) NIC, set the binding order and metric of the
NLB NIC to 2. As a result, you will need to set the binding order and
metric for the second (non-NLB) NIC to 1.

The Default Gateway, in a two NIC scenario, is a key setting. If you check
IPCONFIG and you notice that the Default Gateway is set on both NICs and is
a different IP address, this will cause problems. We recommend you pick one
Default Gateway and set it on the second NIC (non-NLB) NIC, leaving the
Default Gateway setting on the NLB NIC blank.

RELATED KNOWLEDGE BASE ARTICLES(S):
193602 Configuration options for WLBS hosts connected to layer 2 switches
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=193602

303765 HOW TO: Perform Advanced Network Load Balancing Procedures in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303765

323431 How To Set Up TCP/IP for Network Load Balancing in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323431

Network Load Balancing : Configuration Best Practices for Windows 2000 and
Windows Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/clustering/nlbbp.mspx

NLB Troubleshooting Overview for Windows® Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9E6F4999-AEEB-40CF-867B-AF68742FFFDC&displaylang=en

197992 How to Configure WLBS Using a Single Network Interface Card
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=197992

197999 Single network interface card limitations with WLBS
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=197999

256124 HOW TO: Configure an IP Address for NLB with One Network Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=256124

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado