Help! Extremely S L O W machine!

Anyone have any ideas how I can speed this machine up? I've included a
System Summary and the average values from Performance Monitoring. It's a
good machine. I just don't know what's wrong.
TIA!
CG

[System Summary]
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP
System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
System Model PCG-FX140(UC)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~695 Mhz
BIOS Version PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name LAPTOP\Administrator
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 129,008 KB
Available Physical Memory 18,812 KB
Total Virtual Memory 504,940 KB
Available Virtual Memory 209,328 KB
Page File Space 375,932 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Page File D:\pagefile.sys

[Performance Monitoring:]
Memory \Pages /sec
0.170243

PagingFile (\??\C:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage
93.5546875

PagingFile (\??\D:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage
75.27884052

Paging File (_Total) \% Usage
75.42051375

Paging File (\??\C:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage Peak
98.2421875

Paging File (\??\D:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage Peak
82.50122

Paging File (_Total) \% Usage Peak
82.62324

PhysicalDisk (_Total) \% Disk Time
1.899066

PhysicalDisk (_Total) \Avg. Disk sec/Transfer
0.012675

PhysicalDisk (_Total) \Current Disk Queue Length
0.001084

PhysicalDisk (_Total) \Disk Bytes/sec
7488.734

Process (_Total) \% Processor Time
99.85225

Processor (_Total) \% Processor Time
2.174206

Processor (_Total) \Interrupts/sec
113.8017

Server\ Pool Nonpaged Failures
0

Server\ Pool Nonpaged Peak
41349.71

Server\ Pool Paged Failures
0

System\ Processor Queue Length
5.039566
[END Performance Monitoring]

One problem is that you on;y have 128MB of MEMORY.
Also, Look at your processor que length.

Why are you running Advanced Server on a laptop?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:45:26 -0500, "Cgann2" <cdg@cyberjock4hire.com> wrote:

>Anyone have any ideas how I can speed this machine up? I've included a
>System Summary and the average values from Performance Monitoring. It's a
>good machine. I just don't know what's wrong.
>TIA!
>CG
>
>[System Summary]
>OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
>Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
>OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
>System Name LAPTOP
>System Manufacturer Sony Corporation
>System Model PCG-FX140(UC)
>System Type X86-based PC
>Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~695 Mhz
>BIOS Version PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
>Windows Directory C:\WINNT
>System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
>Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
>Locale United States
>User Name LAPTOP\Administrator
>Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
>Total Physical Memory 129,008 KB
>Available Physical Memory 18,812 KB
>Total Virtual Memory 504,940 KB
>Available Virtual Memory 209,328 KB
>Page File Space 375,932 KB
>Page File C:\pagefile.sys
>Page File D:\pagefile.sys
>
>[Performance Monitoring:]
>Memory \Pages /sec
>0.170243
>
>PagingFile (\??\C:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage
>93.5546875
>
>PagingFile (\??\D:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage
>75.27884052
>
>Paging File (_Total) \% Usage
>75.42051375
>
>Paging File (\??\C:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage Peak
>98.2421875
>
>Paging File (\??\D:\pagefile.sys) \% Usage Peak
>82.50122
>
>Paging File (_Total) \% Usage Peak
>82.62324
>
>PhysicalDisk (_Total) \% Disk Time
>1.899066
>
>PhysicalDisk (_Total) \Avg. Disk sec/Transfer
>0.012675
>
>PhysicalDisk (_Total) \Current Disk Queue Length
>0.001084
>
>PhysicalDisk (_Total) \Disk Bytes/sec
>7488.734
>
>Process (_Total) \% Processor Time
>99.85225
>
>Processor (_Total) \% Processor Time
>2.174206
>
>Processor (_Total) \Interrupts/sec
>113.8017
>
>Server\ Pool Nonpaged Failures
>0
>
>Server\ Pool Nonpaged Peak
>41349.71
>
>Server\ Pool Paged Failures
>0
>
>System\ Processor Queue Length
>5.039566
>[END Performance Monitoring]

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

I'm running it on a laptop as a travelling Dev environment. I'm pretty much
a cowboy coder.
<harmonica music> Riding the range. Coding wherever I hang my hat for a few
hours. </harmonica music>
The problem isn't with the lack of Ram. I've been running Win2KAS on the
same machine for 4 years and it was quite speedy.

This slow down is a recent development. The thing that's got me scratching
my head is that PagingFile usage is so high when the system is idle.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:47:35 GMT, "CDG" <hurricane4@verizon.net> wrote:

>I'm running it on a laptop as a travelling Dev environment. I'm pretty much
>a cowboy coder.
><harmonica music> Riding the range. Coding wherever I hang my hat for a few
>hours. </harmonica music>
>The problem isn't with the lack of Ram. I've been running Win2KAS on the
>same machine for 4 years and it was quite speedy.
>
>This slow down is a recent development. The thing that's got me scratching
>my head is that PagingFile usage is so high when the system is idle.
>

>> One problem is that you on;y have 128MB of MEMORY.
>> Also, Look at your processor que length.
>> Why are you running Advanced Server on a laptop?
>> >System\ Processor Queue Length
>> >5.039566

Since it is recent, it probably is the result of a patch or install, or configuration change.
Maybe something you download from Windows Update, etc.....?

You might also make sure that your pagefile is NOT fragmented.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

have u tried restarting the machine?

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com>
???????:69fp111bof7s8dm518eb1toa9j5o2rfe8c@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:47:35 GMT, "CDG" <hurricane4@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm running it on a laptop as a travelling Dev environment. I'm pretty
>>much
>>a cowboy coder.
>><harmonica music> Riding the range. Coding wherever I hang my hat for a
>>few
>>hours. </harmonica music>
>>The problem isn't with the lack of Ram. I've been running Win2KAS on the
>>same machine for 4 years and it was quite speedy.
>>
>>This slow down is a recent development. The thing that's got me
>>scratching
>>my head is that PagingFile usage is so high when the system is idle.
>>

>>> One problem is that you on;y have 128MB of MEMORY.
>>> Also, Look at your processor que length.
>>> Why are you running Advanced Server on a laptop?
>>

> Since it is recent, it probably is the result of a patch or install, or
> configuration change.
> Maybe something you download from Windows Update, etc.....?
>
> You might also make sure that your pagefile is NOT fragmented.
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

many many times. How would I make sure the pagefile is not fragmented? How
would I defrag it?

"Ray" <rayvu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> have u tried restarting the machine?
>
> "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com>
> ???????:69fp111bof7s8dm518eb1toa9j5o2rfe8c@4ax.com...
> > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:47:35 GMT, "CDG" <hurricane4@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm running it on a laptop as a travelling Dev environment. I'm pretty
> >>much
> >>a cowboy coder.
> >><harmonica music> Riding the range. Coding wherever I hang my hat for a
> >>few
> >>hours. </harmonica music>
> >>The problem isn't with the lack of Ram. I've been running Win2KAS on
the
> >>same machine for 4 years and it was quite speedy.
> >>
> >>This slow down is a recent development. The thing that's got me
> >>scratching
> >>my head is that PagingFile usage is so high when the system is idle.

> > Since it is recent, it probably is the result of a patch or install, or
> > configuration change.
> > Maybe something you download from Windows Update, etc.....?
> >
> > You might also make sure that your pagefile is NOT fragmented.
> >

> > Jerold Schulman
> > Windows Server MVP
> > JSI, Inc.
> > http://www.jsiinc.com

I've set my PageFile on both hard drives. I read somewhere that, if
possible, you should try to move the PageFile from the boot/system disk by
setting it to a very small size on the disk that Win runs from and set it to
a higher number on a seperate disk (about 1.5x ram)

> > > You might also make sure that your pagefile is NOT fragmented.

TRENDING THREADS