Zonet ZPS2102 Print Server

The software that comes with the ZONET seems pretty dodgy. It did not
recognize the printer server during the install. The PSAdmin software
installed during a "Manual" install, found the print server about 30%
of the time. The documentation that comes with the server and on the CD
Rom does not denote what the default IP address is to allow for use of
the Web interface to setup the print server (default address is
192.168.5.1). I was not able to reliably use the print server on a
100MB ethernet network. It appears that when you connect the print
server to a 100MB network that it spends all of its time polling the
network and does not have enough time to even respond to a ping. I
connected the print server through an old 10MB hub to our 100MB
backbone. This solved all the problems. On the 100MB network, pinging
would timeout 98% of the time. On the 10MB hub, pings are 100% reliable
as is the web interface and printing. The firmware is version 8.01.24E.
Maybe if Zonet releases new firmware they can fix the highspeed
connection problem. An interesting side note is I purchased the Zonet
to replace a new IOGear GPSU01 print server that was behaving
erratically. PSAdmin also finds this print server and allows me to
control it. I moved this print server to a 10MB hub also which has made
it a usable print server now. It is noteworthy that the firmware is
also in the 8.0x range, 8.02.19I. If you purchase a Zonet or IOGear
print server and have problems on a 100MB network, try placing a 10MB
hub in between.

<JHPYavapai@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The software that comes with the ZONET seems pretty dodgy. It did not
> recognize the printer server during the install. The PSAdmin software
> installed during a "Manual" install, found the print server about 30%
> of the time. The documentation that comes with the server and on the CD
> Rom does not denote what the default IP address is to allow for use of
> the Web interface to setup the print server (default address is
> 192.168.5.1). I was not able to reliably use the print server on a
> 100MB ethernet network. It appears that when you connect the print
> server to a 100MB network that it spends all of its time polling the
> network and does not have enough time to even respond to a ping. I
> connected the print server through an old 10MB hub to our 100MB
> backbone. This solved all the problems. On the 100MB network, pinging
> would timeout 98% of the time. On the 10MB hub, pings are 100% reliable
> as is the web interface and printing. The firmware is version 8.01.24E.
> Maybe if Zonet releases new firmware they can fix the highspeed
> connection problem. An interesting side note is I purchased the Zonet
> to replace a new IOGear GPSU01 print server that was behaving
> erratically. PSAdmin also finds this print server and allows me to
> control it. I moved this print server to a 10MB hub also which has made
> it a usable print server now. It is noteworthy that the firmware is
> also in the 8.0x range, 8.02.19I. If you purchase a Zonet or IOGear
> print server and have problems on a 100MB network, try placing a 10MB
> hub in between.

Sounds like good advice.

Let me add that the EDIMAX 1205Um works splendidly on a 100Mb network.
I've got a slew of 'em ... USD 35.50 at www.newegg.com.

I wonder if you had a duplex mismatch or some other problem. I'm
using the Zonet ZPS-2102 on my own network with two printers, and
have had no trouble with 100 Mb network connections.

Yes, their supplied software isn't entirely adequate, but I didn't
have any of the same problems you did. Were you using supported
printers?

I use the ZPS-2102 with both Macintosh and Windows machines, and
have a Canon Pixma iP8500 and HP LaserJet 6MP connected.

JHPYavapai@hotmail.com wrote:
> The software that comes with the ZONET seems pretty dodgy. It did not
> recognize the printer server during the install. The PSAdmin software
> installed during a "Manual" install, found the print server about 30%
> of the time. The documentation that comes with the server and on the CD
> Rom does not denote what the default IP address is to allow for use of
> the Web interface to setup the print server (default address is
> 192.168.5.1). I was not able to reliably use the print server on a
> 100MB ethernet network. It appears that when you connect the print
> server to a 100MB network that it spends all of its time polling the
> network and does not have enough time to even respond to a ping.

That's nice but they're hardly comparable. The Zonet ZPS-2102 has
two USB 2.0 ports and one parallel port, and can support three
printers. The Edimax 1205um has one USB 1.1 port. The Zonet
unit supports IPP. The Edimax doesn't. My experience with the
Zonet unit is that it works well on multiple platforms with both
inkjet and laser printers. Maybe the previous poster just didn't
set his up right. And it doesn't seem appropriate to still be
manufacturing equipment with USB 1.1 compatible ports when the
USB 2.0 spec has been out for so long.

Colon Terminus wrote:

> Let me add that the EDIMAX 1205Um works splendidly on a 100Mb network.
> I've got a slew of 'em ... USD 35.50 at www.newegg.com.

Thanks Mike -

Duplex is a posibility execpt there does not seem to be a way to set it
for the print servers. We are a small office but 17 or more computers
running concurently. We also have 3 print servers. All the computers
are running 100MB through a NetGear switch. The three print servers are
on 10MB. The 2 new print servers by design to make them reliable and
the other is a HP print server that is only 10MB capable. At the 10MB
speed I am reliably using a HP Deskjet with the IOGEAR and a Xerox
Phaser with the Zonet.

On a separate subnet I was able to connect to the print server at 100MB
to get it configured but it was not reliable on our main network at
100MB.

The main reason for the posting was to provide some troubleshooting
tips on USENET for this print server. It took me a while to find enough
information including the default IP Address so I could connect to the
print server with a browser. I prefer to use a browser rather than
install additional software on a computer to manage the print servers.