Windows 7 Services

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hi all

I want to know, what services can I turn off or disable to cut down on memory use and to lower the number of processes running on my laptop, but retain wireless and ethernet usage, audio and aero theme.

Also, I want to know what in Windows 7 takes up about 800MB of RAM on fresh install? Again in a separate list, what can I turn off to cut RAM use down to about 200MB?

Thanks all!

Care must be taken here. Press your Windows key and R together and into the open box, type cmd then hit Enter. At the Command Prompt, type tasklist /svc (including the space) and hit Enter. Right click anywhere in the black form and scroll to SelectAll then press Enter to put it all into the clipboard. Post the details back here by pressing Control and V together in the reply form and posters can advise what you might be able to lose.

edmond419

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
The laptop I am doing this on is for someone else ... a netbook with W7 starter and 1G of RAM and has running out of RAM issues resulting in speed issues due to HDD swapping, so I want to cut down the usage to bare minimum. atm I don't have access to so I can't get a task list..

A HP netbook

4745454b

Titan
Fine, its time for a new netbook.

Removing processes will help, but Vista/win7 wasn't designed to run on only 1GB of ram. Check out that blackviper link. Perhaps it can be shoe horned into something smaller. If not, getting an SSD is perhaps an option.

sedona

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
These are the services running on my Windows 7, and took up 2GB of memory. What can I stop or remove from this list?

Ks2NUVJ.png

0W8drGJ.png

Dragonburn

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Windows 7 Starter edition is a bare-bones system and was designed around the 1gig of RAM that it was issued with, but still, those systems are virtually little more than glorified notepads and are designed pretty much just for checking e-mail and creating a document here and there. You won't have a lot of room to work with, as Windows 7 Starter has almost no memory intensive services running, but it is possible that through installations and other programs starting up that your memory problem isn't to do with Windows so much as everything else they are trying to run.

TRENDING THREADS