Cannot create local user profiles

I have a windows 2000 server on which I can create a new local user
but the system does not create a local profile as a result when I try
to logon as the newly created user it says " Windows cannot create
temporary profile" and does allow the new user to be logon. In
addition the profile for four other users that were already defined on
the system have lost their profiles and their logon is denied.
I cannot possibly rebuild this system since it is a production system
and it has tons of data on it with about 7 applications running on it
servicing a vital need of the business.
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thank you
Arun

Hi Arun,

I'm by no means an expert in this subject matter of User Profile, but I'll
try to assist you to the best of my ability. See if one of the following
article describes and resolves your situation.

289158 Error Messages About User Profile Appear in Several Logon Situations
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289158

214636 How to Set the Path for the Local Default User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=214636

214653 How to Set the Path for the All Users Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=214653

If article ID: 289158 does not resolve your issue, then use the following
article to enable user environment debug logging. Then create a case with
Microsoft PSS and have a Support Engineer in the Platforms Directory
Services group analyze the log for you.

221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833

--
Hope this helps,