Epson R200 Vs Canon Pixma iP3000

jeff

I want to buy a basic photo printer.

R200 and iP3000 seem to have same price. I think R200 has five color and
one black ink tanks whereas iP3000 has three color and one black tanks.

Which one is better for quality of prints and trouble free operations?

Thanks in advance.

zakezuke

> R200 and iP3000 seem to have same price. I think R200 has five color and
> one black ink tanks whereas iP3000 has three color and one black tanks.

I own both.

The r200 has extra light cyan and light magenta
The r300 is the same but has the fancy screen and pictbridge
The ip3000 has the usual black cyan magenta yellow, smaller drop size
The ip4000 has two blacks and the usual inks 2pl
The ip5000 has the same but smaller 1pl ink drop size.
The ip6000 has a larger 2pl but offers the light cyan/magenta inks

I leaned tward the r200 for out of the box print accuracy. It worked
fine for 6 months before it clogged and overflowed with ink. Your
experence could be better, but in the past the epsons clogged easily.
I'm told this one is better. But if you really like the Epson r200,
and you buy OEM ink, it's only typicaly $25 extra to get the printer
with ink than just ink.

For trouble free i'm taking a chance on the Canon. I bought the ip3000
cause the r200 was in the shop, and it was cheeper for the printer than
the ink for the r200. I've not owned it as long so I can't report any
trouble, but it at least has a detachable head and a diaper I can
replace unlike the epson. I bought mine in the hopes of enabling the
CD tray option so I bought the cheapest model. Otherwise i'd go with
an ip4000 mininium, likely the ip5000.

IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.

Jeff wrote:

>I want to buy a basic photo printer.
>
>R200 and iP3000 seem to have same price. I think R200 has five color and
>one black ink tanks whereas iP3000 has three color and one black tanks.
>
>Which one is better for quality of prints and trouble free operations?
>
>Thanks in advance.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.

It seems you only post here to get your daily dose of attention.
Beyond that your experience is limited to one printer and the use of
very overpriced OEM ink carts.
If you have had any other experience we would certainly like to hear
about the outcome but to keep repeating the same thing over and over
again is extremely boring and marks you as a self-indulgent troll.
Is that a fair description of you?
Frank

BURT

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.

I don't know why Measekite adds the last sentence as it is just an
invitation for someone to tell you that there are also some good aftermarket
cartridges and inks. He just can't leave well enough alone! If Measekite
only gave you advice about the printer and didn't add the ink advice I
wouldn't bother to respond. You need to know, if you were at all interested
in inks other than Canon, that Measekite is the last person on the face of
the earth to listen to regarding inks as he has never used aftermarket inks
or bought from any of the aftermarket ink vendors. It appears that his
mission in life is to deny what several of us have found out from using
them - that there are some good reliable non-Canon inks available from
selected internet vendors. He does own the IP4000 and advises everyone to
buy that printer. On that issue he does speak from his own experience.

I refill cartridges for my Canon i960 with MIS inks and some of the
participants in this newsgroup use cartridges filled with Formulabs inks or
refill with Formulabs inks from Alotofthings. Postings from Ron Cohen and
Taliesyn on this Newsgroup have some information about their personal
experience with aftermarket inks and you can also go to the following
forum - http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for some interesting information
about inks, printer maintenance, etc. You can also follow the link to Neil's
ink and printer information that you will find at the top of the Nifty-stuff
forum home page. Most of this forum is about Canon printers.

> Jeff wrote:
>
>>I want to buy a basic photo printer.
>>
>>R200 and iP3000 seem to have same price. I think R200 has five color and
>>one black ink tanks whereas iP3000 has three color and one black tanks.
>>
>>Which one is better for quality of prints and trouble free operations?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Your royalty cheque from Canon is in the mai!!
Tony

measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.
>
>Jeff wrote:
>
>>I want to buy a basic photo printer.
>>
>>R200 and iP3000 seem to have same price. I think R200 has five color and
>>one black ink tanks whereas iP3000 has three color and one black tanks.
>>
>>Which one is better for quality of prints and trouble free operations?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

Ah, Frankie Crankie the cockroach comes out of the woodwork.

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.
>

> It seems you only post here to get your daily dose of attention.
> Beyond that your experience is limited to one printer and the use of
> very overpriced OEM ink carts.
> If you have had any other experience we would certainly like to hear
> about the outcome but to keep repeating the same thing over and over
> again is extremely boring and marks you as a self-indulgent troll.
> Is that a fair description of you?
> Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> Ah, Frankie Crankie the cockroach comes out of the woodwork.
>
> Frank wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>>> IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.
>>

>> It seems you only post here to get your daily dose of attention.
>> Beyond that your experience is limited to one printer and the use of
>> very overpriced OEM ink carts.
>> If you have had any other experience we would certainly like to hear
>> about the outcome but to keep repeating the same thing over and over
>> again is extremely boring and marks you as a self-indulgent troll.
>> Is that a fair description of you?
>> Frank

Give it up creep. We've all got your number.
Frank

zakezuke

> And you are indulging it. What holds good for a toddler having a tantrum in
> the middle of a supermarket (or anywhere else for that matter) holds good
> for Usenet trolls - ignore it and it eventually shuts up. I had it killfiled
> at one point but it must have changed its address again, because it doesn't
> appear to be in the bozo bin any longer. Well, MK, consider yourself a
> *PLONK*er.

The logic that seems to be employed is a rational rebuttal that would
chalange what one might consider disputable facts which results in a
pejorative responce containing dyslogisms or other derogatory
belittling comments. While on the one hand it makes this group
undesirable to be used by anyone seeking useful formation. On the
other it makes the disputed source look far less credible and easier to
forward to the ISP for general usenet abuse.

Use of the vernacular "plonker" I doubt is lost on the audience this
side of the pond. Sir David Jason's (David John White) work has made
it over here from time to time and I have seen it's use on usenet for
years.

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.
>>

>I don't know why Measekite adds the last sentence as it is just an
>invitation for someone to tell you that there are also some good aftermarket
>cartridges and inks. He just can't leave well enough alone! If Measekite
>only gave you advice about the printer and didn't add the ink advice I
>wouldn't bother to respond. You need to know, if you were at all interested
>in inks other than Canon, that Measekite is the last person on the face of
>the earth to listen to regarding inks as he has never used aftermarket inks
>or bought from any of the aftermarket ink vendors. It appears that his
>mission in life is to deny what several of us have found out from using
>them -

READ ALL OF THE PROBLEMS THAT PEOPLE POST ON THIS NG. U B DA JUDGE.

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.
>>

>I don't know why Measekite adds the last sentence as it is just an
>invitation for someone to tell you that there are also some good aftermarket
>cartridges and inks. He just can't leave well enough alone! If Measekite
>only gave you advice about the printer and didn't add the ink advice I
>wouldn't bother to respond. You need to know, if you were at all interested
>in inks other than Canon, that Measekite is the last person on the face of
>the earth to listen to regarding inks as he has never used aftermarket inks
>or bought from any of the aftermarket ink vendors. It appears that his
>mission in life is to deny what several of us have found out from using
>them - that there are some good reliable non-Canon inks available from
>selected internet vendors. He does own the IP4000 and advises everyone to
>buy that printer.

Not true. IT is generally the best but I have advised many to buy the
HP with integrated printheads in the carts if their printload is light
and very infrequents.

>On that issue he does speak from his own experience.
>
>I refill cartridges for my Canon i960 with inks and some of the
>participants in this newsgroup use cartridges filled with Formulabs inks I think. Postings from Ron Cohen and Taliesyn on this Newsgroup have some information about their personal
>experience with aftermarket inks and you can also go to the following
>forum - http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for some interesting information
>about inks, printer maintenance, etc. You can also follow the link to Neil's
>ink and printer information that you will find at the top of the Nifty-stuff
>forum home page. Most of this forum is about Canon printers.

These are all congregants and offshoots of the Church of AfterMarket
Latter Day Inks of which I am Pope Burtie Furtie the 1st.

HAIL MEASEKITE! HAIL MEASEKITE! HAIL MEASEKITE! :-D :-D :-D

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&e=2&u=/pcworld/20050614/tc_pcworld/121377

Frank wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>
>> IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.
>
> It seems you only post here to get your daily dose of attention.

And you are indulging it. What holds good for a toddler having a tantrum in
the middle of a supermarket (or anywhere else for that matter) holds good
for Usenet trolls - ignore it and it eventually shuts up. I had it killfiled
at one point but it must have changed its address again, because it doesn't
appear to be in the bozo bin any longer. Well, MK, consider yourself a
*PLONK*er.

For the American audience 'plonker' is chiefly British slang, popularised by
the character Del Boy in the long running hit sitcom /Only Fools and
Horses/. It means "an idiot or half-wit". Sums up MK rather well...

zakezuke

> Unbelievable how childish you are. Even an idiot like you should know
> that the R200 at the same price as the ip3000 is the one to go with.
> It should be a no brainer. That means even a person without a brain,
> like you, should know the R200 is the one.

Respectfully, and the ip3000 tends to be cheaper mail order even when
you don't take canon's $20 rebate into account. Taking the rebate into
account it's almost 1/2 the price from one mail order company. In
fact, the ip3000 was cheaper this way than the OEM epson ink. That was
the main reason I picked mine up while the epson was in the shop.

In the local store they seem to be about the same.

-R200- $92.70 shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=r200&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
-ip3000- $66.90 shipped
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828102153

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:54:09 GMT

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:35:46 GMT, measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:

>Burt wrote:
>
>>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>IP4000 for a few bucks more. Be sure to use Canon inks.
>>>

>>I don't know why Measekite adds the last sentence as it is just an
>>invitation for someone to tell you that there are also some good aftermarket
>>cartridges and inks. He just can't leave well enough alone! If Measekite
>>only gave you advice about the printer and didn't add the ink advice I
>>wouldn't bother to respond. You need to know, if you were at all interested
>>in inks other than Canon, that Measekite is the last person on the face of
>>the earth to listen to regarding inks as he has never used aftermarket inks
>>or bought from any of the aftermarket ink vendors. It appears that his
>>mission in life is to deny what several of us have found out from using
>>them -
>>

>READ ALL OF THE PROBLEMS THAT PEOPLE POST ON THIS NG. U B DA JUDGE.
>
>>that there are some good reliable non-Canon inks available from
>>selected internet vendors. He does own the IP4000 and advises everyone to
>>buy that printer. On that issue he does speak from his own experience.
>>
>>I refill cartridges for my Canon i960 with MIS inks and some of the
>>participants in this newsgroup use cartridges filled with Formulabs inks or
>>refill with Formulabs inks from Alotofthings. Postings from Ron Cohen and
>>Taliesyn on this Newsgroup have some information about their personal
>>experience with aftermarket inks and you can also go to the following
>>forum - http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for some interesting information
>>about inks, printer maintenance, etc. You can also follow the link to Neil's
>>ink and printer information that you will find at the top of the Nifty-stuff
>>forum home page. Most of this forum is about Canon printers.

The R200 by a Mile..

Tony wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:35:46 GMT, measekite <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

>>>I don't know why Measekite adds the last sentence as it is just an
>>>invitation for someone to tell you that there are also some good aftermarket
>>>cartridges and inks. He just can't leave well enough alone! If Measekite
>>>only gave you advice about the printer and didn't add the ink advice I
>>>wouldn't bother to respond. You need to know, if you were at all interested
>>>in inks other than Canon, that Measekite is the last person on the face of
>>>the earth to listen to regarding inks as he has never used aftermarket inks
>>>or bought from any of the aftermarket ink vendors. It appears that his
>>>mission in life is to deny what several of us have found out from using
>>>them -
>>>

>>READ ALL OF THE PROBLEMS THAT PEOPLE POST ON THIS NG. U B DA JUDGE.
>>

>>>that there are some good reliable non-Canon inks available from
>>>selected internet vendors. He does own the IP4000 and advises everyone to
>>>buy that printer. On that issue he does speak from his own experience.
>>>
>>>I refill cartridges for my Canon i960 with MIS inks and some of the
>>>participants in this newsgroup use cartridges filled with Formulabs inks or
>>>refill with Formulabs inks from Alotofthings. Postings from Ron Cohen and
>>>Taliesyn on this Newsgroup have some information about their personal
>>>experience with aftermarket inks and you can also go to the following
>>>forum - http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for some interesting information
>>>about inks, printer maintenance, etc. You can also follow the link to Neil's
>>>ink and printer information that you will find at the top of the Nifty-stuff
>>>forum home page. Most of this forum is about Canon printers.

>The R200 by a Mile..

The IP3000 by 5 Miles

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> The IP3000 by 5 Miles

Unbelievable how childish you are. Even an idiot like you should know
that the R200 at the same price as the ip3000 is the one to go with.
It should be a no brainer. That means even a person without a brain,
like you, should know the R200 is the one.
Frank

zakezuke

> You are Joking..?

> Print heads tht only last 1 1/2 years and Prints that only last 5 years and
> only 3+1 Colours..

Printheads that only last 1 1/2 years? Where do you get this number
from? The service manual says 5. Prints well I don't have an estimate
on the prints but this is at least close to fair comment. Still plenty
of 3rd party solutions, but I presently don't have a resource for canon
archival ink.

I have to admit, the R200 was my first choice. But the printheads clog
very easily dispite the fact that they have a larger drop size than the
ip3000 / ip4000. Mine lasted 6 months printing on average 1 5*5 print
a day. Color output is nice, but tends to break down very easily.
The ip3000 was my choice as the epson was in the shop.

I also must agree that the ip3000 isn't exactly as spiffy as the R200.
The ip4000 is closer to a fair contest. The ip5000/ip6000 at least
are on the same level if not costing a little bit more. Rather your
choice between having the light inks and larger drop size, or smaller
drop size and the usual 3+1.

zakezuke

> Thats funny since the IP4000 produces marginally better photos,
> substantially better business documents, is much faster than the
> IP6000. The only advantage, if you want to call it that, is to edit
> without a computer and most serious amateur photographers would not use
> that feature.

The IP6000 has no BCI-3e cart. It's clearly not designed at all for
"business" documents at all. It is a photo printer, not a general
purpose one and very much slower for text. But the IP6000 at the very
least has light inks, which are useful for filling between the dots
making the end result less grainy. But this PCless printing put it in
the same class as the epson r300/r320. Even an amateur photographers
enjoy proofsheets, and the index print feature is less clicks than
using the "photo print" software. Not to speak of cases where you need
to print from your camera but don't want to invest in a dedicated
computer. Editing without a PC, well that's fair comment. I don't
have a pictbridge camera so I can't see if index/proof sheets are
available.

But needless to say i'm considering ditching my r200 in favor of either
the ip5000 or ip6000, at present leaning tward the ip5000. I like the
r200's photo output much better but can't stand a head that's dependent
on a gasket which gets knocked out of place if you look at it funny.

zakezuke wrote:

>>You are Joking..?
>>

>>Print heads tht only last 1 1/2 years and Prints that only last 5 years and
>>only 3+1 Colours..
>>

>Printheads that only last 1 1/2 years? Where do you get this number
>from? The service manual says 5.

Tony Da Tiger is drumming up business.

>Prints well I don't have an estimate
>on the prints but this is at least close to fair comment. Still plenty
>of 3rd party solutions, but I presently don't have a resource for canon
>archival ink.
>
>I have to admit, the R200 was my first choice. But the printheads clog
>very easily dispite the fact that they have a larger drop size than the
>ip3000 / ip4000. Mine lasted 6 months printing on average 1 5*5 print
>a day. Color output is nice, but tends to break down very easily.
>The ip3000 was my choice as the epson was in the shop.
>
>I also must agree that the ip3000 isn't exactly as spiffy as the R200.
>The ip4000 is closer to a fair contest. The ip5000/ip6000 at least
>are on the same level if not costing a little bit more.

Thats funny since the IP4000 produces marginally better photos,
substantially better business documents, is much faster than the
IP6000. The only advantage, if you want to call it that, is to edit
without a computer and most serious amateur photographers would not use
that feature.

>Rather your
>choice between having the light inks and larger drop size, or smaller
>drop size and the usual 3+1.

zakezuke

> If you are in the US you might consider going on to the Tiger
> Direct web site to see if they still have NEW canon i960 printers available
> for about $80 after rebate.

Thanks Burt, useful as i'm in the US, but unless I can enable CD
printing on my mp760 that is a feature I require. That limits my
options. Near as i'm aware that's not an option on the i960.
Otherwise it's an excelent choice.

zakezuke

> Right - not an option. I do print cd labels that I can apply to cd's with
> the cd stomper, but direct printing is cerainly more desireable

I have a Memorex label set. It says right on the pack "Warning: Using
a Standard for Full-Face label on DVDs may result in the disc becoming
unreadable". Used one full faced label for a Car CD player. It liked
the label so much it kept it.

I tried the spine label on a DVD. My DVD didn't like it and spat it
out.

Still others, come summer time, tended to lift off the CD-Rs, with bits
of data as well.

I have enoyed better luck attaching the full faced labels to printable
media, but for the most part I avoid them.

zakezuke

> I would say most users that have clogging problems do not know
> how to use the printer..

I'd love to know what I did wrong, lol. Generally speaking you put
paper in and print. I've never had an issue of put paper ink ink
splash fest.

To be fair, I have to see how long the referb lasts.

> The 18 month print head thing has been reported here many times, I have been
> told here Canon only warrantee there heads for 3 months..

I'd be very interested in this, got links?

But hey, if I have to replace the printhead after 18 months i'd be
happy. Cost vs peformance ratio still is looking good to me. I have
no clue how long the warranty is on the head here.

zakezuke wrote:

>>Thats funny since the IP4000 produces marginally better photos,
>>substantially better business documents, is much faster than the
>>IP6000. The only advantage, if you want to call it that, is to edit
>>without a computer and most serious amateur photographers would not use
>>that feature.
>>

>The IP6000 has no BCI-3e cart. It's clearly not designed at all for
>"business" documents at all. It is a photo printer, not a general
>purpose one and very much slower for text.

Yeh but it still does duplex and that is not intended for photos. The
Epson R300 does not have a pigment black either but that too is used for
business documents as is the Canon i960. And the drivers still offer
plain paper.

>But the IP6000 at the very
>least has light inks, which are useful for filling between the dots
>making the end result less grainy.

But, unfortunately, they have a greater tendency to fade. We can hope
that Canon reformulates and improves THEIR ink.

>But this PCless printing put it in
>the same class as the epson r300/r320. Even an amateur photographers
>enjoy proofsheets, and the index print feature is less clicks than
>using the "photo print" software.

When you do a lot of bracketing you want to review online before you
print a proof sheet.

>Not to speak of cases where you need
>to print from your camera but don't want to invest in a dedicated
>computer.

The word is want not need.

>Editing without a PC, well that's fair comment. I don't
>have a pictbridge camera so I can't see if index/proof sheets are
>available.
>
>But needless to say i'm considering ditching my r200 in favor of either
>the ip5000 or ip6000, at present leaning tward the ip5000.

At least that is a good choice. If you do not print a lot of business
documents then the IP4000 is a better choice.

>I like the
>r200's photo output much better

My friend who owns and likes his R300 admits that the Canon IP4000 does
indeed produce better looking prints.