ViaVideo and Netmeeting

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

Is it possible to use Polycom's ViaVideo with
Netmeeting ?

Netmeeting seems not to recognize it as an input device.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about viavideo netmeeting
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    Actually, no there isn't.

    To that point, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Why not use the ViaVideo
    software or (now) the PVX software. It's made to work with the
    ViaVideo.

    Chris
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    "NetSteady" <cmhutch@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Actually, no there isn't.
    >
    > To that point, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Why not use the ViaVideo
    > software or (now) the PVX software. It's made to work with the
    > ViaVideo.
    >
    > Chris

    Because I want to call Netmeeting user with a sort of
    high-quality webcamera.

    I have tried with ViaVideo software but it seems not working.

    Tks
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    Nio,

    I do not think that the camera in the Via Video is all that great
    anyway. The main advantage to the Via Video is that it has compression
    hardware in the camera unit which reduces the demand on the CPU of your
    PC. As PCs get more powerful and cheaper this will be less important.

    For a high quality web camera take a look at the Creative Labs WebCam
    Live! Ultra. It uses a CCD instead of CMOS for better picture quality
    plus it comes with a nice headset for better audio quality.

    I think it runs just under $100 US.

    Here is a link:

    http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=10451&nav=0

    Let us know how you make out.

    Marc

    Nio ® wrote:
    > "NetSteady" <cmhutch@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >
    >>Actually, no there isn't.
    >>
    >>To that point, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Why not use the ViaVideo
    >>software or (now) the PVX software. It's made to work with the
    >>ViaVideo.
    >>
    >>Chris
    >

    > Because I want to call Netmeeting user with a sort of
    > high-quality webcamera.
    >
    > I have tried with ViaVideo software but it seems not working.
    >
    > Tks

  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    Actually,

    I've found that the free version of PVX works pretty well.
    Additionally, the "pay" version (for about $200) has the H.264 algorith
    built in, and allows you to make lower bandwidth video calls.

    The "pay" version of PVX actually is made for use with a lot of
    different USB cameras. As such, it is no longer proprietary.

    FYI
    Chris
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    The free version allows you to use some of the newer features of PVX
    with the Polycom ViaVideo. However, the pay version of PVX ($149)
    allows you to use all of the newer features. In addition, I'm not sure
    if you've ever realized this, but PVX/ViaVideo uses Netmeeting as it's
    backend, and often adds functionality.

    For instance, there is a new feature with PVX that allows you to show
    your desktop in real time, not whiteboarding. This gives a better
    ability to do presentations.

    HTH
    Chris
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    "marc cooper" <mvcooper@verizon.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Nio,
    >
    > I do not think that the camera in the Via Video is all that great anyway.
    > The main advantage to the Via Video is that it has compression hardware in
    > the camera unit which reduces the demand on the CPU of your PC. As PCs
    > get more powerful and cheaper this will be less important.
    >
    > For a high quality web camera take a look at the Creative Labs WebCam
    > Live! Ultra. It uses a CCD instead of CMOS for better picture quality
    > plus it comes with a nice headset for better audio quality.
    >
    > I think it runs just under $100 US.
    >
    > Here is a link:
    >
    > http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=218&subcategory=219&product=10451&nav=0
    >
    > Let us know how you make out.
    >
    > Marc

    Ok, I will try it just for my curiousity, but I think ViaVideo
    looks more as a professional tool, with full screen 30 fps image
    capability, noise reduction and black circuit compensation.

    The main problem with that seems to be PVX software that,
    as usual with Polycom, is a proprietary application with no
    interchange possibilities with the more wide used Netmeeting..

    One solution to have better professional quality is to use a
    camera as Sony EZD1, but it requires an acquisition board,
    limiting its use with laptops.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    > Actually,
    >
    > I've found that the free version of PVX works pretty well.
    > Additionally, the "pay" version (for about $200) has the H.264 algorith
    > built in, and allows you to make lower bandwidth video calls.
    >
    > The "pay" version of PVX actually is made for use with a lot of
    > different USB cameras. As such, it is no longer proprietary.
    >
    > FYI
    > Chris

    Do you mean thet PVX, in bundle version with ViaVideo
    or in the "pay" version as you say, works with Netmeeting ?

    In the sense that you can call in video and in voice
    a Netmeeting Pc ?

    Thanks for your patience.
  8. For audio... Deff give Ventrilo a shot.

LAN Polycom Devices Networking