About Repairing registry for Windows 2000 Advance server

I need to repair the registry file of my server and i dont have a CD drive .
I prepared 6 Start up floppies and ran regchk on the last one; I have SCSI
drive installed and when i attemp to load 3rd party SCSI driver the setup
does not accept the driver disk . If i donot select to install 3rd party
driver my SCSI disk is not detected and at the completion of setup/repair
process it says windows could not find any hard disk and hence repair can not
proceed.

Kindly help me out and reply As soon as possible .Its very urgent
--
Saneeha Ahmed
1 answer Last reply

    You didn't mention the hive. Assuming the system hive and you already tried
    LKG, It may be possible to rename the system hive found in
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    to system.old
    then rename
    %windir%\system32\config\system.alt
    %windir%\system32\config\system

    You can also try using the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback

    If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
    original-as-installed system hive from
    %windir%\repair\system
    %windir%\system32\config\system
    You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
    original OS install.

    If the software hive, it may be possible to rename the software hive found
    in;
    %windir%\system32\config\software
    to software.old
    then copy the most recent backup found in
    %windir%\repair\regback
    as
    %windir%\system32\config\software

    If that fails you can copy/ use the file
    %windir%\repair\software
    This file is an image of the hive at the time the OS was installed, so you'd
    have to reinstall all software. This being the case you might just as well
    blow it away and start a new install. (note: this would at least allow you
    to start the OS to make any necessary backups prior to wiping the drive.)

    To start the recovery console you'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup
    disks or CD-Rom. The set of four install disks can be created from your
    Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and
    execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts. Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting
    your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select
    S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the
    manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your scsi controller in drive
    "A"

    If you do not have Setup floppy disks and your computer cannot start from
    the Windows 2000 Setup CD, use another Windows 2000-based computer to create
    the Setup floppy disks. Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen.
    Press R to repair a Windows 2000 installation, and then press C to use the
    Recovery Console. The Recovery Console then prompts you for the
    administrator password. If you do not have the correct password, Recovery
    Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Saneeha Ahmed" wrote:
    |I need to repair the registry file of my server and i dont have a CD drive
    ..
    | I prepared 6 Start up floppies and ran regchk on the last one; I have SCSI
    | drive installed and when i attemp to load 3rd party SCSI driver the setup
    | does not accept the driver disk . If i donot select to install 3rd party
    | driver my SCSI disk is not detected and at the completion of setup/repair
    | process it says windows could not find any hard disk and hence repair can
    not
    | proceed.
    |
    | Kindly help me out and reply As soon as possible .Its very urgent
    | --
    | Saneeha Ahmed

SCSI Windows 2000 Registry Servers Windows