Is it honestly time to go Conroe?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well is it? should everyone wait a few months for a price drop or should we wait till everyone released quad cores? can we expect a better processor from intel in the enxt couple months or should we invest now in a conroe chip?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well i am actually in desperate need of a new computer :S...

most of my computer is pushing 4 years this december.. though i did replace the graphics card, power supply and added ram...

2.4ghz p4
P4S8X mobo
2 gig ram (dont know brand :( )
BFG geforce 6600 GT

so as u can see i wont be able to even run some of the games coming out on medium.. ill be stuck on low.. as it is when i played bf2 i could run 1/3 of the settings on medium and the rest low... :( at the momment im really looking forward to quake wars et, so i want to have a kick arse computer to run it on high... im not sure if i can wait for the amd release of K8L...

mulciber

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
:eek:
That is so wrong.

Dont replace the graphics card, wait for dx10 compatible cards. As for conroe, if you can wait for the pricing to stable and possibly for prices to drop a bit with AMD's upcoming release... I would wait a bit longer.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
That is so wrong.

Dont replace the graphics card, wait for dx10 compatible cards. As for conroe, if you can wait for the pricing to stable and possibly for prices to drop a bit with AMD's upcoming release... I would wait a bit longer.

If he gets a AM2 or Core 2 platform what is he supposed to do with the AGP, use it in the PCI Express slot?

I would wait for more motherboards for conroe. But you could use the asrock dual vsta with your old agp card until better boards come down in price. But the asrock won't overclock as well.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
That is so wrong.

If he gets a AM2 or Core 2 platform what is he supposed to do with the AGP, use it in the PCI Express slot?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
That is so wrong.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
so what time frame am i looking at here? a couple months?

*btw yes my gpu is agp and yes i will be waiting till the g80 comes out or R600...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
well actually my local computer store www.ncix.com, actually has the E6600 in stock so i shouldnt have a problem with that.

That's cool! I can't find any around here. Store employees look at me like they are drugged and say: "We don't sell Conroe CPUS, just Intel and AMD". I fart in their general direction.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
so what time frame am i looking at here? a couple months?

*btw yes my gpu is agp and yes i will be waiting till the g80 comes out or R600...

So even though you are desperate, you will wait for g80/r600.
Ask us when these are available. Videocard performance is vital for gameplay. All else is of little consequence in comparison...

The only other option that makes sense is a cheap 939 mobo and AMD cpu, using the memory you have. Buy the best videocard you can stand to throw away when DX10 comes out.

Vein

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Yes and No. The chips themselves perform very well, no question. The memory compatibilities aren't all that bad, depending on the motherboard brand, mine runs well with some generic 533 at the moment. That being said, the drivers/bios for the 965 chipset are young and still need work. If you are looking for something that performs brilliantly right out of the box, then no. If you can be happy with something that will perform well, then now isn't a bad time. Prices are at a premium (though not all that bad unless you want an Asus Board), and waiting for a couple months can't hurt.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
well is it? should everyone wait a few months for a price drop or should we wait till everyone released quad cores? can we expect a better processor from intel in the enxt couple months or should we invest now in a conroe chip?
I'd wait for E6300

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Don't waste money, wait til holiday sales get going in November. By then there should be plenty of stock on chips and prices a bit lower. More importantly, more available motherboards with much better pricing. Just my two cents as I always try to be as thrifty as possible.

This is totally up to you --- if you are in need of a computer today, make the best choice you can because if you take the approach that the grass is always greener a few months down, you would never own a computer.

The C2D release was unique, it was one of those major revisions that a few months ago could have and should have frozen your purchasing decision, the next big thing that will make me advise wait a month or two is when the K8L release approaches -- until then, there is nothing huge on the horizon that would preclude a purchasing decision today, in my opinion.

Now, time to go C2D --- again this is up to you, C2D higher end is the best you can do on the DT today, price/performance is also in that court... but there is also the ceiling of what you are willing to spend, which may push you down the price/performance curve in which case AMD may be a good choice, especially in future upgrade cycles.

Jack

Jack's smart. Listen to him. If you need a new computer now, then buy the best that's out there now. If you need one later, then wait. Technology never ends- there will always be something better just over the horizon.

Note: If you have your mind set on a Core 2 Duo system, I advise waiting a few weeks for the prices to drop to the MSRP levels and the suppliers to get some quantity of them.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
well crappy cp wise i have the worst cp possible.

Going on what i thought was 3 but is 6 years old this christmas i have:

P4 1.7ghx
geforce 3
512mb of ram(rambus)
This rig severs well but will soon be updated.

A1e3m

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
well my friend, if i were u i'd also wait the while....
but if ur in need of a pc NOW....just get the 975 (i think) mobo
throw in the conroe, and yes as of july 27th , all computers are obsolete no matter what processor or clock speed ur running....

conroe is the best way to go no matter what...u could never beat intel....

a 2.4 conroe is good enough with 2 gigs of ram...u'll be playing 3 games at once :p

but yeh wait the while...it'll be worth it bro....

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well this is the thing...

( i think i already mentioned my pc specs but ill say it again)

p4 northwood 2.5 GHz oc (originally 2.4)
2 gig ram (bad)
BFG Geforce 6600 GT oc
420 watt psu
ASUS P4S8X mobo

well that can get me 1/3 of my settings for bf2 to medium the rest on low. so really im going to need to upgrade soon to even be able to play the next gen games.. ie crysis...

my system is pushing 4 years this december so im in need of a refit..

iv been waiting till conroe to upgrade but now everyone says wait so now im looking at the "grass is always greener on the horizon" thing again and thinking i should wait longer..

* btw i can get a payment plan in september so that i dont have to pay interest... so really thats why i wanted to buy my computer then... but i suppose i could buy everything except the gpu and then wait til the G80 or something... ahg im really lost i have no idea what to do... :(

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
well this is the thing...

( i think i already mentioned my pc specs but ill say it again)

p4 northwood 2.5 GHz oc (originally 2.4)
2 gig ram (bad)
BFG Geforce 6600 GT oc
420 watt psu
ASUS P4S8X mobo

well that can get me 1/3 of my settings for bf2 to medium the rest on low. so really im going to need to upgrade soon to even be able to play the next gen games.. ie crysis...

my system is pushing 4 years this december so im in need of a refit..

iv been waiting till conroe to upgrade but now everyone says wait so now im looking at the "grass is always greener on the horizon" thing again and thinking i should wait longer..

* btw i can get a payment plan in september so that i dont have to pay interest... so really thats why i wanted to buy my computer then... but i suppose i could buy everything except the gpu and then wait til the G80 or something... ahg im really lost i have no idea what to do... :(

Go ahead an upgrade dude. Games that actually require DX10 are gonna be a couple years away. Ya ya, there's Crysis (Look! we're the first DX10 game!) that also runs in DX9. Other than that. . . youve got plenty of time to upgrade. Sounds to me like you think too much. You should take up smoking pot.

DeMonOfElRu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
JumpingJack said:
there is also the ceiling of what you are willing to spend, which may push you down the price/performance curve in which case AMD may be a good choice, especially in future upgrade cycles.

What do you mean by "especially in future upgrade cycles" ??