Normal Core 2 Duo Temperatures?

TheeZy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Hi, I've got my new e6300 + Gigabyte DS3 rig setup and working. One thing I've noticed is that in the BIOS my temperature usually floats from 47-51 C. I've searched around but I can't find much information on what is considered the normal, safe temperatures for C2D. What should my chip be idling at?

The BIOS also says "Current System Temperature: 45C". What is this represent? That seems high for the case temperature.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Actually take in consideration when your in the bios, is almost running a DOS type of program. So its usage is higher then in Windows that manages the CPU usage more. I kinda wish the bios could show the usage there as well as the temp.

Hard to say what C2D idle temps would be.

I'd say 45C is safe temp not to harm it.

I just tested my system again to see the difference in Windows vs Bios.

When I rebooted Windows was at 45C.

In the Bios after 5 mins, it reached 49-50C.

When I booted back into windows, it was 49C then climbed back down to 44-45C.

Room temp is abit high though.. 82F.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Wow.. what was your room temp though?

How long did you let it sit on the bios hardware monitor?

I would thought the bios would have some CPU usage going on to heat it up more then in windows when its at idle.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Wow.. what was your room temp though?

How long did you let it sit on the bios hardware monitor?

I would thought the bios would have some CPU usage going on to heat it up more then in windows when its at idle.
It must. I have a P4 2.4A overclocked to 3726, and it idles in the BIOS at 54C, yet it idles in Windows at 47C-48C at 30C ambient and load temp is ~60C. To get 54C in Windows requires >50% CPU usage.

TheeZy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I'm using the Thermaltake Armor (Black steel version). 1 DVD-burner, 1 hard drive, x1900xt. My temps seem kind of high for how little I have in my case. My case even has 4 case fans + psu fan + gfx card fan. My wires arn't organized yet though and make a large bundle in the middle of the case so that may be the problem. When I take the side off both temperatures drop about 5 degrees. Not much but a little bit different.

kwalker, I downloaded that PDF and it said it was corrupted or something. Maybe I need to reinstall Acrobat Reader.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Sorry about the link.
I'll give you a quick summery.
The max Vcore is 1.362 volts @ 65 watts with a thermal value of 60.1C
That should give you an Idea of full load temps.
That is for the E6000 Sequence

This is the board temp and is a bit high. My ambient is a nice cool 20 C (I'm in a basement) and in my case with an 80mm intake and 120mm exhaust, an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ running at 100% and two HDDs, my Tcase is about 31-32 C. My temps do NOT drop much once I pull the sides off- in fact, not that much inside feels warm at all. Not cold, but not even body temp. I bet that you need to clean up those wires and make sure that the fans are drawing air in at the bottom front and out the top back. I'd forget the side ones as I have one and it actually makes it warmer for the CPU and board temp sensor as it recirculates warm air for the most part.

My CPU runs at a full-load temp of about 42 C and idles (1 GHz) at 25 C with 2200 rpm on the heatsink fan. Yours should be somewhere in that range, although the idle might be more like 30 C since the Core 2 won't clock down quite as far as the Athlon 64s do and AMD's stock heatsink is better than Intel's. Your E6300 puts out less heat than my chip, so I'd expect your full-load temp CPU to be around 40-45 if your case is well-ventilated and your Tcase to be around 30, maybe a few degrees C higher.