W2K Advanced Server Boot Problem

Ethan

Hello. I lost my original Windows 2000 advanced server disk quite a while
ago, however have a copy of the CD (made an exact copy of the CD) Anyhow, I
installed Windows XP Professional on the machine since I though I wouldn't
use it as a server anymore. Now, my network has grown, and I need to install
Windows 2000 on it again. The only problem is that the burnt copy does not
boot (F12) nor does it allow me to install Windows 2000 from Windows itself.
Do I have to burn the Windows disk a different way, or am I missing something?

An answer ASAP is great. Thanks.

Try the setup disks. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000
install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
follow the prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ethan" wrote:
| Hello. I lost my original Windows 2000 advanced server disk quite a while
| ago, however have a copy of the CD (made an exact copy of the CD) Anyhow,
| installed Windows XP Professional on the machine since I though I wouldn't
| use it as a server anymore. Now, my network has grown, and I need to
install
| Windows 2000 on it again. The only problem is that the burnt copy does not
| boot (F12) nor does it allow me to install Windows 2000 from Windows
itself.
| Do I have to burn the Windows disk a different way, or am I missing
something?

| An answer ASAP is great. Thanks.

Ethan

The setup disks do not work. I double clicked the makeboot.exe icon. Should I
have done this from the makebt32.exe icon? P.S. the Windows 2000 CD will not
boot. I've tried it on the server, and on another computer (To verify that it
wasn't a problem in the servers hardware) and still nothing.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Try the setup disks. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000
> install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
> from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
> CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
> follow the prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>> change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
>> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
>> follow the prompts.

Ethan> The setup disks do not work. I double clicked the
Ethan> makeboot.exe icon. Should I have done this from the
Ethan> makebt32.exe icon? P.S. the Windows 2000 CD will not
Ethan> boot. I've tried it on the server, and on another computer
Ethan> (To verify that it wasn't a problem in the servers
Ethan> hardware) and still nothing.

You missed the critical point -- makeboot.exe from true DOS or
makebt32.exe from a 32-bit DOS "window." Commandline only.

mp

--
Michael Powe michael@trollope.org Waterbury CT
ENOSIG: signature file is empty