W2K Advanced Server Boot Problem

Hello. I lost my original Windows 2000 advanced server disk quite a while
ago, however have a copy of the CD (made an exact copy of the CD) Anyhow, I
installed Windows XP Professional on the machine since I though I wouldn't
use it as a server anymore. Now, my network has grown, and I need to install
Windows 2000 on it again. The only problem is that the burnt copy does not
boot (F12) nor does it allow me to install Windows 2000 from Windows itself.
Do I have to burn the Windows disk a different way, or am I missing something?

An answer ASAP is great. Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about advanced server boot problem

    Try the setup disks. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000
    install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
    from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
    CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
    follow the prompts.

    Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ethan" wrote:
    | Hello. I lost my original Windows 2000 advanced server disk quite a while
    | ago, however have a copy of the CD (made an exact copy of the CD) Anyhow,
    | installed Windows XP Professional on the machine since I though I wouldn't
    | use it as a server anymore. Now, my network has grown, and I need to
    install
    | Windows 2000 on it again. The only problem is that the burnt copy does not
    | boot (F12) nor does it allow me to install Windows 2000 from Windows
    itself.
    | Do I have to burn the Windows disk a different way, or am I missing
    something?

    | An answer ASAP is great. Thanks.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    The setup disks do not work. I double clicked the makeboot.exe icon. Should I
    have done this from the makebt32.exe icon? P.S. the Windows 2000 CD will not
    boot. I've tried it on the server, and on another computer (To verify that it
    wasn't a problem in the servers hardware) and still nothing.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Try the setup disks. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000
    > install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created
    > from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the
    > CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
    > follow the prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    >> change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    >> makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and
    >> follow the prompts.

    Ethan> The setup disks do not work. I double clicked the
    Ethan> makeboot.exe icon. Should I have done this from the
    Ethan> makebt32.exe icon? P.S. the Windows 2000 CD will not
    Ethan> boot. I've tried it on the server, and on another computer
    Ethan> (To verify that it wasn't a problem in the servers
    Ethan> hardware) and still nothing.

    You missed the critical point -- makeboot.exe from true DOS or
    makebt32.exe from a 32-bit DOS "window." Commandline only.

    mp

    --
    Michael Powe michael@trollope.org Waterbury CT
    ENOSIG: signature file is empty

    I got it to work. Thanks for your help guys.

Windows 2000 Servers Windows