The Build!!! (C2D E6700)

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Well to anyone who has been following my story:

I got all the parts for my new computer friday night, thanx UPS for the 7pm delivery......

Core 2 Duo E6700 (arrived las monday)
Scythe Ninja+ CPU cooler (this thing is HUGE BTW)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
eVGA GeForce 7900GTX rev.2
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
OCZ GameXtreme 700W PSU
WD Raptor 150GB (sytem)
Thermaltake Armor Series Black (with 250mm side fan)
and some nice assorted round IDE cables, color coded; you know, blue for primary IDE, black for secondary, red for floppy.... Oh whatever, it was cool to me!

I took my time building it yesterday, and i have the cerimonial cuts and puncture wounds to prove it ;). Just finished placing it in my home office and am loading windows XP x64 as i type (on my laptop).

Alot of people have had issues with the P5W DH bios thing... so i wanna tell u all how that went. In 2 words, NO PROBLEM.. Basically, before i even put anything in the case, i set the mobo in a peice of cardboard, put in the memory, cpu, and a heatsink, hooked up and old video card and power supply, thru in a floppy drive, and booted it. my P5W DH came with v401 bios, and it booted with my Core 2 Duo with NO PROBLEMS. In fact it asked me to please go into the bios to tell it what to do with this CPU... So i rebooted, hit Alt-F2 to access EZ-Flash, put the bios disk in the floppy drive and 2 min later, DONE. no problems whatsover. Booted with no problems after that. SO in short you DO NOT need a chip, that's BS, you just need to flash the bios. and you DO NOT need another CPU either.

everything BARELY fits in my armor case.. and the case is huge!!! the scythe cpu cooler has about 1/4 inch clearance from the huge 25cm side fan on the armor case. good thing the cpu fan mounts on the side of the heatsink. But if anyone was wondering, the scythe ninja does fit on the P5W DH with no problems. you just can't install the active chipset cooler b/c the heatsink is so big.. but if you have proper ventilation, u shouldn't need it anyway. in the bios the c2d idled at 19c, and the mobo at around 35c.

Now comes the long part, loading the OS, reloading all my programs, games, and data. when i'm done i'll run some benchmarks and post them, along with some actual pictures of the computer, if anyone is interested in how everything fits in there.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i would really love to see some pics! if u could remove the side of the case to see inside :D im expecting 20+ pics of all angles! lol

btw are you going to oc it? and to what?

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
i would really love to see some pics! if u could remove the side of the case to see inside :D im expecting 20+ pics of all angles! lol

btw are you going to oc it? and to what?

i'll remove the side panel, but don't expect 20 pics! lol

I plan to overclock it yes... My goal, at least for now, is 333fsb (1333), at 3.333GHz. We'll see if i can reach that with any stability. but i think i'd settle for 300fsb (1200) at 3.0GHz.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
along with some actual pictures of the computer, if anyone is interested in how everything fits in there.

Good info on BIOS flash. Yes, photos good, post photos.

I also have a Ninja plus and could not believe how much my mobo flexed when I mounted it. Way to heavy for my feeble imagination. I put the 9500 back on...

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
along with some actual pictures of the computer, if anyone is interested in how everything fits in there.

Good info on BIOS flash. Yes, photos good, post photos.

I also have a Ninja plus and could not believe how much my mobo flexed when I mounted it. Way to heavy for my feeble imagination. I put the 9500 back on...

well the enire back of the P5W DH is a metal plate for cooling, so that gives this particular mobo a lot of rigidity. i didn't really have any problems mounting the ninja, except sticking on their d@mned backplate right (it's adhesive... GRRR).

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
only 3GHz? iv been hearing people saying u can hit 3.5GHz with stock cooling using a E6600... im so confused now.. with ur cooling shouldnt u be able to run 3.5 stabily?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
well the enire back of the P5W DH is a metal plate for cooling, so that gives this particular mobo a lot of rigidity.

Neat. I like that design idea. Ever measure temps on the back of mobos and graphics cards? Some of the hottest system temps are found there.

dalepw

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
only 3GHz? iv been hearing people saying u can hit 3.5GHz with stock cooling using a E6600... im so confused now.. with ur cooling shouldnt u be able to run 3.5 stabily?

Ever think that he may not be comfortable or may not want to overclock that far. The E6600 may be able to do it, that doesn't mean everyone will

danbooky

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Are you sure it is idling at 19C. Mine is idling at 30 with water cooling. at 3.60ghz its idling temp is around 40C-45C with 1.5v vcore.
Danbooky

BobaFettm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Thats a f**king box fan attached to the side of your PC... if your AC breaks down in your house... just put that mofo in your window instead!

DeMonOfElRu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Well to anyone who has been following my story:

I got all the parts for my new computer friday night, thanx UPS for the 7pm delivery......

Core 2 Duo E6700 (arrived las monday)
Scythe Ninja+ CPU cooler (this thing is HUGE BTW)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
eVGA GeForce 7900GTX rev.2
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
OCZ GameXtreme 700W PSU
WD Raptor 150GB (sytem)
Thermaltake Armor Series Black (with 250mm side fan)

Man ..... that is one killer rig. How much did it cost you ???

No, seriously. I wanna know. :D ;)