On the PC. Does anyone find it crashing all the time?

Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.
19 answers Last reply
More about find crashing time

    Henchman:crg wrote in news:ZcednW-i2N-tMlzcRVnyjA@giganews.com:

    > Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

    Well-known memory leak bug.

    Save often.

    --
    ~sethra

    "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
    > Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

    Yep. That's about what I'm seeing.

    Henchman:crg wrote:

    > Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

    That's about right. More RAM helps somewhat, but the game
    *will* eventually crash, no matter what you do. Rapid zone
    an increase in crashes. So...

    save early, save often!

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:52:32 -0000, during a voyage through the cold
    waters of alt.games.morrowind, i happened upon the crew of
    "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com>:

    >Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

    I have about the same results. It's helpful for reminding me that
    there are other things that need tending to, but when you have a three
    hour block or more of playtime it's nice to immerse yourself without
    interruption. Oh well.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net

    Briarroot wrote:
    > save early, save often!

    When you notice the area loading taking longer, save, exit, restart, and
    reload. That'll clear things up.

    "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
    > Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

    Funny, I see all this talk about people having trouble with Morrowind
    crashing. I have *never* had it crash on me and I have had 4+ hour sessions
    on it in the past. Average session is between 1.5 and 2 hours to. But then
    again I've allways played Morrowind with at least 512mb ram (1 gig for the
    last year and a half)...

    Cheers Dre

    Dre wrote:

    > "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.
    >>

    > Funny, I see all this talk about people having trouble with Morrowind
    > crashing. I have *never* had it crash on me and I have had 4+ hour sessions
    > on it in the past. Average session is between 1.5 and 2 hours to. But then
    > again I've allways played Morrowind with at least 512mb ram (1 gig for the
    > last year and a half)...
    >
    > Cheers Dre

    I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
    I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
    of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
    location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
    or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
    Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
    system. The symptoms of this style crash is that usually the game would
    noticeably slow down and the hard drive would be constantly busy.
    Saving and exiting was the only solution.
    Upgrading to 1 GB seems to have fixed that problem but some of the
    popular mods will crash even this configuration.

    "Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Dre wrote:
    >
    > > "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.
    > >>

    > > Funny, I see all this talk about people having trouble with Morrowind
    > > crashing. I have *never* had it crash on me and I have had 4+ hour
    sessions
    > > on it in the past. Average session is between 1.5 and 2 hours to. But
    then
    > > again I've allways played Morrowind with at least 512mb ram (1 gig for
    the
    > > last year and a half)...
    > >
    > > Cheers Dre
    > >

    > I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
    > I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
    > of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
    > location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
    > or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
    > Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
    > system. The symptoms of this style crash is that usually the game would
    > noticeably slow down and the hard drive would be constantly busy.
    > Saving and exiting was the only solution.
    > Upgrading to 1 GB seems to have fixed that problem but some of the
    > popular mods will crash even this configuration.

    Hmmm, I know what you mean, but I travel via silt/boat/master index/mages
    guild/mark-recall all the time too, except I normally do a few quest all at
    once! (without saving, bet that makes a few of you go pale :) I sometimes
    (when I dont get injured very much) start playing and then only save right
    at the end of the session and one time I even forgot to save at the end,
    which was rather annoying when I reloaded, only to find out, the last hours
    worth of gaming (and prolly 3 or 4 missions) are all gone :)

    What I can tell you is the longer I play the game, the longer it takes for
    it to exit. I assume this is to de-allocate all of the data it has stored
    in ram. As far as my hard disc activity, the only time it ever goes silly
    is when either I'm loading a new cell *or* I'm coping stuff to or from the
    hard disc via my home network :)

    I dunno, I'm running Win2k, all latest drivers installed and latest
    Morrowing/bloodmoon/tribunal patches also installed.

    Maybe I am just REALLY lucky :)

    Cheers Dre

    > I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
    > I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
    > of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
    > location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
    > or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
    > Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
    > system.

    True. I've taken calling everybody's favorite footwear "Boots of Blinding
    Crash". Moving around very quickly tends to encourage crashing. What
    really bothers me is that the system specs on the box are just plain not
    adequate.

    Required: 500 MHz P3, Celeron or Athalon, 128 MB Ram, 32 MB Video.
    Recommended: 800 MHz P3 or Athalon, 256 MB Ram, 64 MB ATI Radeon 7500.
    My system: 2.6 GHz Athalon, 768 MB Ram, 256 MB ATI Radeon 9500.

    My computer has more than TRIPLE the recommended specs in every category
    (let alone the "required specs"), and yet still crashes regularly. How does
    this stuff not get noticed before the game is released? Surely if they
    tested it on that "recommended" system for any length of time, they would
    have most likely crashed at least as often as I do. At what point do they
    decide "Ah, good enough. Let's ship it."? I just wish the game had some
    way of warning you when a crash was impending, or maybe even saving a backup
    when it did. So far, every time it's happened to me, I've had no warning
    whatsoever. One minute it's working perfectly, the next, BAM. No
    slow-downs or hard drive spinning up, just all of a sudden the music stops
    and the picture freezes, and 3 seconds later I'm either looking at the
    desktop or waiting for the computer to reboot.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
    >>I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
    >>of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
    >>location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
    >>or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
    >>Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
    >>system.
    >

    > True. I've taken calling everybody's favorite footwear "Boots of Blinding
    > Crash". Moving around very quickly tends to encourage crashing. What
    > really bothers me is that the system specs on the box are just plain not
    > adequate.
    >
    > Required: 500 MHz P3, Celeron or Athalon, 128 MB Ram, 32 MB Video.
    > Recommended: 800 MHz P3 or Athalon, 256 MB Ram, 64 MB ATI Radeon 7500.
    > My system: 2.6 GHz Athalon, 768 MB Ram, 256 MB ATI Radeon 9500.
    >
    > My computer has more than TRIPLE the recommended specs in every category
    > (let alone the "required specs"), and yet still crashes regularly. How does
    > this stuff not get noticed before the game is released? Surely if they
    > tested it on that "recommended" system for any length of time, they would
    > have most likely crashed at least as often as I do. At what point do they
    > decide "Ah, good enough. Let's ship it."? I just wish the game had some
    > way of warning you when a crash was impending, or maybe even saving a backup
    > when it did. So far, every time it's happened to me, I've had no warning
    > whatsoever. One minute it's working perfectly, the next, BAM. No
    > slow-downs or hard drive spinning up, just all of a sudden the music stops
    > and the picture freezes, and 3 seconds later I'm either looking at the
    > desktop or waiting for the computer to reboot.

    Usually when I just crashed to the desktop without warning it was a
    hardware fault, not the games. I started playing Morrowind when it was
    released on a P4 2GHz computer with 512 MB RDRAM and an ATI Radeon 7500.
    Shortly thereafter I upgraded to a 9700 Pro to get better performance
    and the special effects. When I first installed the card it would crash
    suddenly in less than 15 minutes. Touching the video card found it
    almost too hot. Putting in a fan to exhaust the hot air from the video
    card fixed that problem.
    I recently ran through the Underworld of Suran module on my new computer
    running a 3.4GHz P4 with 1GB DDR RAM and the same video card. This
    module would just dump me to the desktop suddenly. No other parts of
    the game had this problem so I am sure that in this case the module was
    to blame.
    As far as system specs and coding go I remember running Arena when it
    came out and there were times I wanted to throw it away. Whenever I
    entered or left a shop it would stop for a minute or so while it loaded
    the cell. This was very irritating when you were shopping for a
    specific item (all shops had a random inventory) and had to go to a
    dozen shops looking for it. My system even then was above minimum but
    until I got an even more powerful system the cell loading was a killer.

    > I recently ran through the Underworld of Suran module on my new computer
    > running a 3.4GHz P4 with 1GB DDR RAM and the same video card. This
    > module would just dump me to the desktop suddenly. No other parts of
    > the game had this problem so I am sure that in this case the module was
    > to blame.

    I've recently just noticed that I've never ONCE experienced a crash anywhere
    in Mournhold or Solsthiem, only in the original Vvardenfell areas. Is it
    possible that Bethesda figured out something new before they released these
    add-ons? They seem much more stable...

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>I recently ran through the Underworld of Suran module on my new computer
    >>running a 3.4GHz P4 with 1GB DDR RAM and the same video card. This
    >>module would just dump me to the desktop suddenly. No other parts of
    >>the game had this problem so I am sure that in this case the module was
    >>to blame.
    >

    > I've recently just noticed that I've never ONCE experienced a crash anywhere
    > in Mournhold or Solsthiem, only in the original Vvardenfell areas. Is it
    > possible that Bethesda figured out something new before they released these
    > add-ons? They seem much more stable...

    I know I have crashed the game since installing Bloodmoon so I know they
    didn't fix the bug. Maybe since Mournhold and Solstheim are so much
    smaller an area there is less chance of loading too many cells. But
    even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
    Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
    these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
    "improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.

    > I know I have crashed the game since installing Bloodmoon so I know they
    > didn't fix the bug. Maybe since Mournhold and Solstheim are so much
    > smaller an area there is less chance of loading too many cells. But
    > even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
    > Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
    > these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
    > "improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.

    Oh, yeah, I didn't say it hasn't crashed since installing Tribunal and
    Bloodmoon. Only that it hasn't ever crashed in Mournhold or Solstheim. It
    still crashes all the time in Vvardenfell. It may be due to the world being
    larger in general, but Solstheim is fully incorporated with the Vvardenfell
    map (you can swim there, for example, unlike Mournhold), and the Solstheim
    area is certainly large, if not quite so large as Vvardenfell. Maybe I just
    haven't spent enough time there, though I've gotten pretty far in the
    Bloodmoon quests. I've almost completed the Tribunal quests, I think, and
    it's only crashed twice, but those were for a different reason. (The first
    time it crashed just after I killed the assassins attacking the Queen
    Mother. The second time was when I pulled the lever flooding the Black Dart
    Gang's area. Both quest-related crashes, rather than just randomly when
    walking around.)

    On Sunday 19 December 2004 19:49, Michael W. Ryder
    <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    > But even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
    > Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
    > these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
    > "improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.

    The ability to render objects with upwards of four vertices?
    --
    Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
    available.

    - Benford's Law of Controversy

    >>But even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
    >>Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
    >>these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
    >>"improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.
    >

    > The ability to render objects with upwards of four vertices?

    That and the general world details. Compared with Daggerfall, Morrowinds
    world is *much* smaller, but it doesn't feel computer-generated.
    Daggerfall is a randomized lego world. Seen one town? Seen all. Seen one
    dungeon? Seen all.
    While I miss the large scale of Daggerfall and Arena, I generally prefer
    Morrowind. Not only because of the prettier graphics (though that is
    also an important point), but because the world feels much more alive
    and different places have their own character. Daggerfall towns are only
    different by their name.

    Concerning bugs, Daggerfall was even more buggy than Morrowind... So at
    least that's an improvement.

    Peter

    PS: I loved Daggerfall!

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    > I've recently just noticed that I've never ONCE experienced a crash anywhere
    > in Mournhold or Solsthiem, only in the original Vvardenfell areas. Is it
    > possible that Bethesda figured out something new before they released these
    > add-ons? They seem much more stable...

    I'd guess it's because in the expansion areas, you tend to move between
    contiguous areas more than you jump wildly across the map, as you're
    likely to do when using the combinations of silt striders, mage guild
    guides, and teleportation magicks to get from one location to another.

    I had the same problem, but it turned out to be my Nvidia-card that was
    broken. I got a new card, problem solved.

    "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

Games Windows XP Video Games