On the PC. Does anyone find it crashing all the time?

Henchman:crg wrote in news:ZcednW-i2N-tMlzcRVnyjA@giganews.com:

> Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

Well-known memory leak bug.

Save often.

--
~sethra

wj

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

"Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
> Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

Yep. That's about what I'm seeing.

Henchman:crg wrote:

> Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

That's about right. More RAM helps somewhat, but the game
*will* eventually crash, no matter what you do. Rapid zone
an increase in crashes. So...

save early, save often!

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:52:32 -0000, during a voyage through the cold
waters of alt.games.morrowind, i happened upon the crew of
"Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com>:

>Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

I have about the same results. It's helpful for reminding me that
there are other things that need tending to, but when you have a three
hour block or more of playtime it's nice to immerse yourself without
interruption. Oh well.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net

Briarroot wrote:
> save early, save often!

When you notice the area loading taking longer, save, exit, restart, and
reload. That'll clear things up.

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
> Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.

Funny, I see all this talk about people having trouble with Morrowind
crashing. I have *never* had it crash on me and I have had 4+ hour sessions
on it in the past. Average session is between 1.5 and 2 hours to. But then
again I've allways played Morrowind with at least 512mb ram (1 gig for the
last year and a half)...

Cheers Dre

Dre wrote:

> "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
>
>>Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.
>>

> Funny, I see all this talk about people having trouble with Morrowind
> crashing. I have *never* had it crash on me and I have had 4+ hour sessions
> on it in the past. Average session is between 1.5 and 2 hours to. But then
> again I've allways played Morrowind with at least 512mb ram (1 gig for the
> last year and a half)...
>
> Cheers Dre

I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
system. The symptoms of this style crash is that usually the game would
noticeably slow down and the hard drive would be constantly busy.
Saving and exiting was the only solution.
Upgrading to 1 GB seems to have fixed that problem but some of the
popular mods will crash even this configuration.

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Dre wrote:
>
> > "Henchman:crg" <colin@colingirling.my-bulldog.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Get 1 to 2 hours play max, before crashing on XP.
> >>

> > Funny, I see all this talk about people having trouble with Morrowind
> > crashing. I have *never* had it crash on me and I have had 4+ hour
sessions
> > on it in the past. Average session is between 1.5 and 2 hours to. But
then
> > again I've allways played Morrowind with at least 512mb ram (1 gig for
the
> > last year and a half)...
> >
> > Cheers Dre
> >

> I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
> I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
> of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
> location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
> or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
> Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
> system. The symptoms of this style crash is that usually the game would
> noticeably slow down and the hard drive would be constantly busy.
> Saving and exiting was the only solution.
> Upgrading to 1 GB seems to have fixed that problem but some of the
> popular mods will crash even this configuration.

Hmmm, I know what you mean, but I travel via silt/boat/master index/mages
guild/mark-recall all the time too, except I normally do a few quest all at
once! (without saving, bet that makes a few of you go pale :) I sometimes
(when I dont get injured very much) start playing and then only save right
at the end of the session and one time I even forgot to save at the end,
which was rather annoying when I reloaded, only to find out, the last hours
worth of gaming (and prolly 3 or 4 missions) are all gone :)

What I can tell you is the longer I play the game, the longer it takes for
it to exit. I assume this is to de-allocate all of the data it has stored
in ram. As far as my hard disc activity, the only time it ever goes silly
is when either I'm loading a new cell *or* I'm coping stuff to or from the
hard disc via my home network :)

I dunno, I'm running Win2k, all latest drivers installed and latest
Morrowing/bloodmoon/tribunal patches also installed.

Maybe I am just REALLY lucky :)

Cheers Dre

> I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
> I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
> of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
> location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
> or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
> Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
> system.

True. I've taken calling everybody's favorite footwear "Boots of Blinding
Crash". Moving around very quickly tends to encourage crashing. What
really bothers me is that the system specs on the box are just plain not
adequate.

Required: 500 MHz P3, Celeron or Athalon, 128 MB Ram, 32 MB Video.
Recommended: 800 MHz P3 or Athalon, 256 MB Ram, 64 MB ATI Radeon 7500.
My system: 2.6 GHz Athalon, 768 MB Ram, 256 MB ATI Radeon 9500.

My computer has more than TRIPLE the recommended specs in every category
(let alone the "required specs"), and yet still crashes regularly. How does
this stuff not get noticed before the game is released? Surely if they
tested it on that "recommended" system for any length of time, they would
have most likely crashed at least as often as I do. At what point do they
decide "Ah, good enough. Let's ship it."? I just wish the game had some
way of warning you when a crash was impending, or maybe even saving a backup
when it did. So far, every time it's happened to me, I've had no warning
whatsoever. One minute it's working perfectly, the next, BAM. No
slow-downs or hard drive spinning up, just all of a sudden the music stops
and the picture freezes, and 3 seconds later I'm either looking at the
desktop or waiting for the computer to reboot.

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

>>I think a lot of it has to do with your play style. With 512 MB of RAM
>>I could reliably crash the game within 15 minutes. I was doing a series
>>of quests for a guild and would set a Mark at the quest giver's
>>location. I would then use teleportation type transportation or boats
>>or silt striders to get to the location, do the quest and Recall.
>>Repeat this a few times and memory usage would triple and crash the
>>system.
>

> True. I've taken calling everybody's favorite footwear "Boots of Blinding
> Crash". Moving around very quickly tends to encourage crashing. What
> really bothers me is that the system specs on the box are just plain not
> adequate.
>
> Required: 500 MHz P3, Celeron or Athalon, 128 MB Ram, 32 MB Video.
> Recommended: 800 MHz P3 or Athalon, 256 MB Ram, 64 MB ATI Radeon 7500.
> My system: 2.6 GHz Athalon, 768 MB Ram, 256 MB ATI Radeon 9500.
>
> My computer has more than TRIPLE the recommended specs in every category
> (let alone the "required specs"), and yet still crashes regularly. How does
> this stuff not get noticed before the game is released? Surely if they
> tested it on that "recommended" system for any length of time, they would
> have most likely crashed at least as often as I do. At what point do they
> decide "Ah, good enough. Let's ship it."? I just wish the game had some
> way of warning you when a crash was impending, or maybe even saving a backup
> when it did. So far, every time it's happened to me, I've had no warning
> whatsoever. One minute it's working perfectly, the next, BAM. No
> slow-downs or hard drive spinning up, just all of a sudden the music stops
> and the picture freezes, and 3 seconds later I'm either looking at the
> desktop or waiting for the computer to reboot.

Usually when I just crashed to the desktop without warning it was a
hardware fault, not the games. I started playing Morrowind when it was
released on a P4 2GHz computer with 512 MB RDRAM and an ATI Radeon 7500.
Shortly thereafter I upgraded to a 9700 Pro to get better performance
and the special effects. When I first installed the card it would crash
suddenly in less than 15 minutes. Touching the video card found it
almost too hot. Putting in a fan to exhaust the hot air from the video
card fixed that problem.
I recently ran through the Underworld of Suran module on my new computer
running a 3.4GHz P4 with 1GB DDR RAM and the same video card. This
module would just dump me to the desktop suddenly. No other parts of
the game had this problem so I am sure that in this case the module was
to blame.
As far as system specs and coding go I remember running Arena when it
came out and there were times I wanted to throw it away. Whenever I
entered or left a shop it would stop for a minute or so while it loaded
the cell. This was very irritating when you were shopping for a
specific item (all shops had a random inventory) and had to go to a
dozen shops looking for it. My system even then was above minimum but
until I got an even more powerful system the cell loading was a killer.

> I recently ran through the Underworld of Suran module on my new computer
> running a 3.4GHz P4 with 1GB DDR RAM and the same video card. This
> module would just dump me to the desktop suddenly. No other parts of
> the game had this problem so I am sure that in this case the module was
> to blame.

I've recently just noticed that I've never ONCE experienced a crash anywhere
in Mournhold or Solsthiem, only in the original Vvardenfell areas. Is it
possible that Bethesda figured out something new before they released these
add-ons? They seem much more stable...

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

>>I recently ran through the Underworld of Suran module on my new computer
>>running a 3.4GHz P4 with 1GB DDR RAM and the same video card. This
>>module would just dump me to the desktop suddenly. No other parts of
>>the game had this problem so I am sure that in this case the module was
>>to blame.
>

> I've recently just noticed that I've never ONCE experienced a crash anywhere
> in Mournhold or Solsthiem, only in the original Vvardenfell areas. Is it
> possible that Bethesda figured out something new before they released these
> add-ons? They seem much more stable...

I know I have crashed the game since installing Bloodmoon so I know they
didn't fix the bug. Maybe since Mournhold and Solstheim are so much
smaller an area there is less chance of loading too many cells. But
even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
"improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.

> I know I have crashed the game since installing Bloodmoon so I know they
> didn't fix the bug. Maybe since Mournhold and Solstheim are so much
> smaller an area there is less chance of loading too many cells. But
> even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
> Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
> these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
> "improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.

Oh, yeah, I didn't say it hasn't crashed since installing Tribunal and
Bloodmoon. Only that it hasn't ever crashed in Mournhold or Solstheim. It
still crashes all the time in Vvardenfell. It may be due to the world being
larger in general, but Solstheim is fully incorporated with the Vvardenfell
map (you can swim there, for example, unlike Mournhold), and the Solstheim
area is certainly large, if not quite so large as Vvardenfell. Maybe I just
haven't spent enough time there, though I've gotten pretty far in the
Bloodmoon quests. I've almost completed the Tribunal quests, I think, and
it's only crashed twice, but those were for a different reason. (The first
time it crashed just after I killed the assassins attacking the Queen
Mother. The second time was when I pulled the lever flooding the Black Dart
Gang's area. Both quest-related crashes, rather than just randomly when
walking around.)

On Sunday 19 December 2004 19:49, Michael W. Ryder
<mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> But even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
> Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
> these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
> "improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.

The ability to render objects with upwards of four vertices?
--
Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
available.

- Benford's Law of Controversy

>>But even so, the whole of the Morrowind series is a small piece of the
>>Morrowind province, much less the entire empire. Arena had none of
>>these problems with much less capable computers so I don't know what
>>"improvement" they made for Morrowind that causes this problem.
>

> The ability to render objects with upwards of four vertices?

That and the general world details. Compared with Daggerfall, Morrowinds
world is *much* smaller, but it doesn't feel computer-generated.
Daggerfall is a randomized lego world. Seen one town? Seen all. Seen one
dungeon? Seen all.
While I miss the large scale of Daggerfall and Arena, I generally prefer
Morrowind. Not only because of the prettier graphics (though that is
also an important point), but because the world feels much more alive
and different places have their own character. Daggerfall towns are only
different by their name.

Concerning bugs, Daggerfall was even more buggy than Morrowind... So at
least that's an improvement.

Peter

PS: I loved Daggerfall!

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> I've recently just noticed that I've never ONCE experienced a crash anywhere
> in Mournhold or Solsthiem, only in the original Vvardenfell areas. Is it
> possible that Bethesda figured out something new before they released these
> add-ons? They seem much more stable...

I'd guess it's because in the expansion areas, you tend to move between
contiguous areas more than you jump wildly across the map, as you're
likely to do when using the combinations of silt striders, mage guild
guides, and teleportation magicks to get from one location to another.

I had the same problem, but it turned out to be my Nvidia-card that was
broken. I got a new card, problem solved.