Gorenm

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm going to build a new machine for the first time.
Here's what I'm going for:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz 2Mb Box
MB: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA775
GPU: BFG GeForce™ 7900 GT OC™ 256MB PCI-E
RAM: OCZ VALUES DUAL CHANNEL DDR2 667 1024MB
PSU: OCZ PS 450W ATX MODSTREAM

The part that I'm least sure of is the PSU, is it enough or an overkill (I'm going to use 2 hard drives and one DVD burner)?

I'd appreciate any input.

Gorenm

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
will the performance gain be worth it?
It's just about double the cost...
(prices are rather high where I live)

The gain is anywhere between 5 and 7%, but i'll let you decide whether or not the added cost justifies the extra performance. If this was an AMD system I would say you have no choice but to get the DDR2-800 (because AM2 systems that use 667 are actually outperformed by the equivalent 939 system using ddr400 ram), but the lower frequency doesn't affect Intel systems as much because they don't use an integrated memory controller like AMD does.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Bah, forget the rest of those burners! You need this!

It'll smack them silly with some fast burn times. I have it; it'll burn near everything under the sun (pun not intended) and it'll burn it quick. It even has Lightscribe, that useless feature that everyone loves to have. So if you ever need a light imprint of some vague letters, you'll be golden.

~Ibrahim~

It'll smack them silly with some fast burn times. I have it; it'll burn near everything under the sun (pun not intended) and it'll burn it quick. It even has Lightscribe, that useless feature that everyone loves to have. So if you ever need a light imprint of some vague letters, you'll be golden.

lmfao..... we all love those vague light-imprinted letters......

*errily gazes off into nothingness*

Gorenm

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
The gain is anywhere between 5 and 7%, but i'll let you decide whether or not the added cost justifies the extra performance. If this was an AMD system I would say you have no choice but to get the DDR2-800 (because AM2 systems that use 667 are actually outperformed by the equivalent 939 system using ddr400 ram), but the lower frequency doesn't affect Intel systems as much because they don't use an integrated memory controller like AMD does.

In that case, I think I'll pass on the upgrade.
I can't see how a 5-7% gain is worth an additional $130.
The parts that I chose will allready set me back about $1200 (I told you that prices are high around here :? ).

Thanks alot for the input though.....