Event Log Consolidation Tool?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 15, 2005 11:30:36 AM

Is there a tool that can consolidate the event logs from different servers,
and present them in a client on my workstation, with filtering ability?
Even better, exception alerting (for errors) would be optimal. My
application team has fifteen servers (five production), the logs of which
are not currently being reviewed, except after something bad happens. Often
times, the "bad" event could have been prevented (or at least handled
better) had we been reviewing these logs, or had exception alerting for
errors.

We don't have the support from our IT operations/infrastructure group for a
large enterprise solution, and we don't have domain admin rights, so we are
looking for something that we can manage within our application group. We
do have administrator privileges to our servers.

Thanks!
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:51:03 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:30:36 -0600, "JM" <JM@nospam.com> wrote:

>Is there a tool that can consolidate the event logs from different servers,
>and present them in a client on my workstation, with filtering ability?
>Even better, exception alerting (for errors) would be optimal. My
>application team has fifteen servers (five production), the logs of which
>are not currently being reviewed, except after something bad happens. Often
>times, the "bad" event could have been prevented (or at least handled
>better) had we been reviewing these logs, or had exception alerting for
>errors.
>
>We don't have the support from our IT operations/infrastructure group for a
>large enterprise solution, and we don't have domain admin rights, so we are
>looking for something that we can manage within our application group. We
>do have administrator privileges to our servers.
>
>Thanks!

Build your own using the -s option of ElogList at tip 2891 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
March 15, 2005 1:51:04 PM

I like that! I imagine that we could invoke the log export from a MSSQL DTS
Execute Process Task, then import the logs into a SQL table, then email
query results to admins. This should be pretty simple, but if SQLAgent
breaks.. I guess we will have to monitor the monitor too.

!