unknown user account

I am new to this network here and as I've been going through the domain
controller and looking at the user acounts and such. Well, I am finding an
unknown user account that is attached to users folders and stuff. The
security tab in the folder properties shows the everyone group and a user
acount that has the user account dimed with a question mark containg the
name; S-1-5-21-2074887223-460659965-697575874-1654

I have never seen this and I can't figure out what this is. This is anything
new. I have created some new user accounts and OU's to test some new group
policies. This has attached to some of them as well. At this point I haven't
found an answer. Has anyone seen this?

this is usually a user who's name can not be resolved. This usually occurs
when giving permission through a trust, then the trust goes away, maybe
because of a past migration etc. Its also possible its a rogue user that has
been deleted but got hung up somewhere. Its usually pretty safe to just
delete them.

--
Hope it helps...........

dw

Don Wilwol
Blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/wilwol/
Web - http://capital.net/~wilwol/dw.htm
DonWilwol(REMOVE)@yahoo.com

"Grafx00" <Grafx00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to this network here and as I've been going through the domain
> controller and looking at the user acounts and such. Well, I am finding an
> unknown user account that is attached to users folders and stuff. The
> security tab in the folder properties shows the everyone group and a user
> acount that has the user account dimed with a question mark containg the
> name; S-1-5-21-2074887223-460659965-697575874-1654
>
> I have never seen this and I can't figure out what this is. This is
> anything
> new. I have created some new user accounts and OU's to test some new group
> policies. This has attached to some of them as well. At this point I
> haven't
> found an answer. Has anyone seen this?

There was a migration that was done before I arrived here so most likely that
is where they came from.

Thanks

"Don Wilwol" wrote:

> this is usually a user who's name can not be resolved. This usually occurs
> when giving permission through a trust, then the trust goes away, maybe
> because of a past migration etc. Its also possible its a rogue user that has
> been deleted but got hung up somewhere. Its usually pretty safe to just
> delete them.
>
> --
> Hope it helps...........
>
> dw
>
> Don Wilwol
> Blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/wilwol/
> Web - http://capital.net/~wilwol/dw.htm
> DonWilwol(REMOVE)@yahoo.com
>
> "Grafx00" <Grafx00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am new to this network here and as I've been going through the domain
> > controller and looking at the user acounts and such. Well, I am finding an
> > unknown user account that is attached to users folders and stuff. The
> > security tab in the folder properties shows the everyone group and a user
> > acount that has the user account dimed with a question mark containg the
> > name; S-1-5-21-2074887223-460659965-697575874-1654
> >
> > I have never seen this and I can't figure out what this is. This is
> > anything
> > new. I have created some new user accounts and OU's to test some new group
> > policies. This has attached to some of them as well. At this point I
> > haven't
> > found an answer. Has anyone seen this?

JM

I see these a lot in user groups (i.e., the administrators group) of machine
that is in a sub domain, when the users exist in the parent domain. In our
case, the users are legit, and sometimes if you wait long enough, the
cryptic i.d.s change to names.