Expanding an array

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, I have an HP NetServer running Win 2000 Adv Srvr. Currently the server
has a data volume made up of 3 x 36Gb disks in Raid 5 and showing as 1
logical drive . I wish to add 2 additional disks to increase the size of the
volume. I can use the array utilty to extend the array.
Will this be seamless?
Would I be better off breaking the array and creating a new one and restrong
the data from back up?
Please let me know if you need more info and any advice is gratefully
accepted,
Thanks!

Hi Michael,

All very good questions. First one, if you are extend the Raid5 array from
the hardware stand-point then it is seamless to the OS. The other method
would be to use Diskpart utility discussed in the following article to
accomplish the same thing.

325590 How to use Diskpart.exe to extend a data volume in Windows Server
2003,
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

329707 Best practices for using dynamic disks on Windows 2000-based
computers
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329707

Make sure you plan this out correctly, because some things customer don't
foresee in to the future is that if the Dirty Bit is flipped On for some
unknown reason............. How long will CHKDSK take to run when the
volumes become unmanageable because it's too big?

160963 CHKNTFS.EXE: What You Can Use It For
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=160963

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

> Hi, I have an HP NetServer running Win 2000 Adv Srvr. Currently the server
> has a data volume made up of 3 x 36Gb disks in Raid 5 and showing as 1
> logical drive . I wish to add 2 additional disks to increase the size of
the
> volume. I can use the array utilty to extend the array.
> Will this be seamless?
> Would I be better off breaking the array and creating a new one and
restrong
> the data from back up?
> Please let me know if you need more info and any advice is gratefully
> accepted,
> Thanks!

even if you expand the drive via the lun utility, then you will still need
to run diskpart unless you want to create two disks and span them (this is
not part of a cluster? if it is, you can't do that) and in that case, you
will not be expanding a LUN, you will be creating a new lun.

I have never seen the dirty bit get flipped on a disk unless the disk has
other issues to begin with.