whats the max temp for a northwood p4?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
im going to try and oc my 2.4 p4 and squeeze ever little but out of it i can so i was wanted to know if anyone knew with the max temp on my cpu i should avoid?

* at the momment i have my pc idling at 43C, im thinking that thats a little too hot... my fsb was 1.33333 now i have it at 142.0.. but when i booted the computer the temp got up to 51 and it had a little flame by the temperature so now im a little worried :(

im using speed fan but im not sure what all the temperatures are for..

the temps go like this:
43c
41c
37c
25c
38c
42c
37c

any suggestions? i havent increased my voltage btw..

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
very sorry about that :( i will post my questions in a single thread next time...

my next question is, does that mean i can keep increasing the fsb and there wont be any problems? is it just when i increase the voltage my heat increases?

ReliReli

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
The temperature will go up if you increase anything. I have a Pentium 4 2.4 Northwood "B" as well and I could get it to max out at 2.65GHz at 1.65V with the bare stock cooling and one case fan.

When you increase the bus speed the CPU operates faster, therefore creating more heat to dissipate. The faster the CPU is clocked the weaker the signal between transistors is as it can't keep up with clock speed; that's why you have to increase the Vcore.

I'm 99% sure the max operating temperature for your CPU is 65 degrees and 1.7Vcore, like my own.