First Build wont start, helpless.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
This is my first build ever. I always wanted 2 do it and finally made the money. here is my parts list

AMD 64 x2 4200 (AM2)
Gigabyte S5 mobo
FS Groupd 450 watt power supply.
OCZ DDR2 memory (2x512)
BFG geforce 7900gt OC
Nzxt apollo case.

I spent all day plugging this stuff in, being very careful and i finally finished, closed the case plug the thing in and....nothing. No lights, no whiring, not even a sputter. IM guessing its either the power supply or the motherboard, should i try another PSU? what can i do to get this thing running?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Nothing? No beeps, no fans spinning, nothing? I'd check to see that the motherboard is getting power, also the hard drive. Weird. Outlet OK? Is the LED on the mobo on? Really weird. Usually you get some beeps or the fans start. Hmph, I'd check all the motherboard connections one more tim. CD Drive, Hard drive, CPU Power, Motherboard Power, CPU Fan, everything.

~Ibrahim~

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah. It is best to get another person and look at the computer. Doesn't have to be a geek. Let them check everything over, especially the outlet, etc.

~Ibrahim~

mcgreek

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
yes theres a switch on the psu that has to be pushed down where the line is

and make sure u have the 24 pin in where it should be

and if u still dont keep getting power try another psu

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I had the same problem with my first build. It turned out to be that I did not wire the power switch correctly. I also did not plug in the 12 volt cable.
Hope this helps.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
the 24 pin connecter only goes in 1 way. and yes, i did flip the switch to the 'on' position on the PSU lol. (im not that new at this). Im going 2 try another PSU and hopefully that will work

applause182

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Check to make sure that your front panel connectors are plugged in correctly or even at all. You know all those little tiny plugs...they need to be plugged into the area with the little tiny header for the front panel connectors. Use your manual to find out which pins the power switch one and all the others go in.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
All my front panels are plugged in correctly i re-installed everything and cheaked over the mobo to make sure i didnt crack it at any point. I'm gonna try another PSU, hopefully that will work and if not ill take it 2 the shop. Ill post the results.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
You can always pick up a cheap power supply tester (I know compUSA sells them for around 10 or 15 dollars). Then again, if you have a spare PSU laying around go with that to see if it makes any difference.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
It just occured to me, i have an LCD fan monitor, the psu was working then in theory weather the computer starts or not it should be getting power. Does the fact that it stays blank confirm my suspicions that my PSU is DOA?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, you are right. It would've turned on....I think it probably is the PSU, though I'd double check the outlets and internal cabling. More often than not it is a cable unplugged, but in your case the PSU looks suspiciously DOA.

~Ibrahim~

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Also make sure that the PSU is not on 220V. I know, I know, but look at it and just make sure! Sometimes your PSU is shipped with the wrong switch. If that does not do it I would start with a new PSU. Unpack it carefully! So that way if it's not the problem you can return it. Make sure the wires from the PSU are pushed in all the way in too.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Many PSUs have a fuse. You might need to replace it. Also, does the PSU fan come on when you press the power button? If not it could be a short in your case's power button. You can jump start the PSU to bypass the button. On your main motherboard power connector you short the green wire with a black wire (black = ground, green = power-on pin). Typically this is pin 14 and 15, although you can use any of the black wires. There should only be one green wire. To short (first plug the PSU into the wall) you just stick one end of a small insulated wire into a black wire socket and then the other end into the green wire socket. Watch the fan to see if it spins up. If not, your PSU was DOA. If it's the fuse I would still RMA it because it may have other problems.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Wires are complicated. Just find the power button post and stick a pencil (graphite) in it. That'll short it on and your eyesight doesn't have to be as good as it does to get little wires to cross...

I had to do that when I moved overseas, no matter what I did I couldn't get the thing to turn on. So I zapped it, and the next cold boot was fine using the regular power switch.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
ive tried everything here and still nothing, im getting desperate. i bought a completly new power supply and re-hooked everything up and still nothing, what are the odds that im gonna get a second DOA PSU? Im starting to think that it has 2 be a case prblm. What else could it be?

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
ive tried everything here and still nothing, im getting desperate. i bought a completly new power supply and re-hooked everything up and still nothing, what are the odds that im gonna get a second DOA PSU? Im starting to think that it has 2 be a case prblm. What else could it be?

Two DOA PSU's are not very likely at all. you can try to do a couple of things.

1) go out and get a cheapo ($10 - $15) power supply tester and plug the 20 (or 24) pin connector into the tester's slot, make sure the on/off switch on the PSU is set to off before doing this, and see if you get any readings. If you can't find one retail in a computer shop then you can get one here

2) remove the motherboard from the case and set it on a non-conductive surface (eg. phone book, cardboard box, particle board workbench, etc.) attach the case's reset and power on connectors, the power supply, RAM, CPU and see if it will fire up (if the CPU heatsink/fan turns on you're in business).

After this you'll know a couple of things: It either is or isn't a PSU problem, Your motherboard either is or isn't defective. After eliminating those two scenarios I would begin to suspect a short in the case.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
triple check the pins, and try the PSU on another motherboard, maybe it is the mobo thats DOA....this might sound stupid but....you didnt ground the mobo did you?
i mean u did use the brass risers to ensure that its not touching the case rite?
i ask this cause someone i knew didnt know about the brass risers....he thought they were pointless....short story shorter, he shorted out his motherboard the first time he turned it on, smoked abit but other then that looked fine. same symptoms as yours, looked fine, but the mobo was fried, had to get a new one. It could also have been that you shorted it out urself...dont mean to be mean but were you wearing an antistatic wrist thing? if not, you might have shorted it urself

Take off the front panel to your case. Be sure the power on switch is properly seated into the case. It's likely just the power on switch on your case is loose or defective.

MacrosTheBlack

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
The mainboard gives an impuls through the connectors to the PSU to start, if this impuls does not reach the PSU it will not power up.

The impuls could not be getting there because the power sw connector is not hooked up correctly or is faulty, or simply because the mainboard is dead.

If I recall correctly you can "power up" your system by pushing a screwdriver against the 2 pins that make up the "power sw" connector, but be carefull not to hit anything else ;)

imho it sounds HIGHLY unlikely the power sw cable leading from your "on" button would be faulty, I'd guess your mobo is dead.

klillas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
It could also be the motherboard´s reset switch that is set to reset, or not there at all.
I'm not sure if the mobo does not power up in this state, but I think that might perhaps be the case. Check your manual for the bios memory reset switch, and make sure it is set for normal use (should be three small pins, with a hd master/slave connector connecting two of them together)

That said, I still think like most other people here, I believe that the power switch is connected to the wrong pins, or that your mobo is dead. Could also be a fried processor, as I had that problem once when i just took it out to change the cooling paste.

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Its alive its alive!!! [insert evil cackle]. Last night i decided to unplug everything and then re-do it, i think that somwere along the way something wasnt plugged in hard enough cuse i did everything the same and hit the power button not expecting much and tada! I never tought a blue LED would be the most beautiful light i've ever seen. thanks all for your help Toms hardware is def the best place to be.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Loose cable? Probably. Excellent, I'm glad it is working and have fun with it! Damn those cables, always one of them we seem to miss, not saying you did.

~Ibrahim~