Conroe and AGP GPU

juuh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I'm building a conroe based system and i still want to keep my x800xt (AGP) from which i did pay hefty. It still has enough prosessing power to keep me satisfied until the DX10 cards arrive.

So is there any other alternative to ASROCK 775DUAL-VSTA it was the only thing i could find by searching. This MOBO would be great, but it has rather limited overclocking potential because it can only do 297FSB and some other site's tests it hit the limit at 285. And i'm in an impression that E6600 could go as far as 3.2Ghz just with stock cooling.

(i finally decided to post, i have found all the answers to my questions just by searching, a little reading goes a long way)

Invader

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
They are coming out with a whole range updated m/b's which can be used for the Core2Duo processors.

The Asus p5pe-vm is for the Core2Duo and uses AGP8X and DDR400 ram, for example...and is only $53. This m/b is based on the Intel 865G chipset. There will be a whole range of budget Core2 boards very soon on a wide selection of existing chipsets. Also Nvidia is coming out with a new budget chipset for the Core2 this Fall, to sell in the $60-$80 range. MSI Neo has the new 965 chipset m/b for about $110, but it requires PCI GPU and DDR2.

The question is whether the Asus p5pe-vm would be as good or better than the Asrock Dual-Vsta which both accept AGP8X and DDR400? Annandtech said they will be doing a review very soon to compare these budget Core2Duo m/b solutions.

http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=3806

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131029

juuh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Thank you for your answer. Perhaps i will wait for those reviews if they would prove any better overclockers. DDR 400 memory support isn´t a must. I still don´t have my cpu, they should come to the stores after the second week of august in here. Or that i was told in the store. I wonder if am i able to wait, once i have the prosessor in my hands, for any other motherboard to arrive. :)