Batch Command to tell if a service is running on a server

Des

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.developer,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hi

I am an IT administrator for a financial firm and as part of my job I
have to carry out some pre-production tasks such as checking services
on servers and checking event logs on servers. My first question to
you is

1) Is there a batch file or script I can run to report to me if
certain services are running on a server and if so what is it? and
2) Is there some way I can filter out warnings and errors from event
logs into a text file to save me checking all events on several
servers at once

Many Thanks

"Des" <d_mc_alister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am an IT administrator for a financial firm and as part of my job I
> have to carry out some pre-production tasks such as checking services
> on servers and checking event logs on servers. My first question to
> you is
>
> 1) Is there a batch file or script I can run to report to me if
> certain services are running on a server and if so what is it? and
> 2) Is there some way I can filter out warnings and errors from event
> logs into a text file to save me checking all events on several
> servers at once
>

> Many Thanks

1)
@echo off
net start | find /i "Terminal Services"
if %ErrorlLevel%==0 (set TS=yes) else (set TS=no)

2) You can use a tool such as dumpel.exe (Resource Kit)
or dumpevt (freely downloadable).

"Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in news:uMDnqa6LFHA.580
@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> "Des" <d_mc_alister@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I am an IT administrator for a financial firm and as part of my job I
>> have to carry out some pre-production tasks such as checking services
>> on servers and checking event logs on servers. My first question to
>> you is
>>
>> 1) Is there a batch file or script I can run to report to me if
>> certain services are running on a server and if so what is it? and
>> 2) Is there some way I can filter out warnings and errors from event
>> logs into a text file to save me checking all events on several
>> servers at once
>>

>> Many Thanks
>
> 1)
> @echo off
> net start | find /i "Terminal Services"
> if %ErrorlLevel%==0 (set TS=yes) else (set TS=no)
>
> 2) You can use a tool such as dumpel.exe (Resource Kit)
> or dumpevt (freely downloadable).

NET START only tells you about the local machine.
To query/control services on remote computers,
you can also get SERVICE from
http://www.loa.espci.fr/winnt.html
and PSSERVICE from
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml
(there are also other tools there in the PSTOOLS that are useful)
Another site with some similar tools:
http://wettberg.home.texas.net/freeware.htm