Sign in with
Your question

About to order parts but have a few questions

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2006 10:50:37 PM

Its been 3 years since my last build and I'm ready for something faster. I am a software developer so my new machine will mainly be for work. I want to be able to do some gaming on it. I just want to play the games I already own like cod2, fear, hl2 and far cry. My current computer can run them just at the lowest settings. I'm mainly a console gamer so I won't use the computer that much for gaming.
So far these are the parts I'm looking at, I'm just waiting for newegg to get the cpu in stock. As for my budget its around $1300 for the parts I haven't bought yet (cpu, motherboard, ram and videocard). I already have a monitor, speakers and an os. I might overclock a little bit like to e6700 speeds but I don't plan on doing any major overclocking.

CPU: e6600

Motherboard: MSI 975X Platinum Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
I have a MSI motherboard now and I like it. I picked this board because it supports 4 ide devices and has at least 2 pci slots. However, in most of the threads I have read around here this board hasn't been mentioned that often so that concerns me a little bit.

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Is this ram fast enough?

Videocard:eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB $280

OR

MSI RX1900XT-VT2D512E Radeon X1900XT 512MB $290 after $100 rebate

This is what I am having a tough time deciding on. Both are about the same price after rebates. The ATI card seems like it performs better. However, it generates more heat and uses more power so I don't know if my power supply can handle it. Thats also a big rebate to deal with.

Powersupply: I already bought this at Frys a while ago for $15 but its still in the box. Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply

Hard drives: Already have 2 ide and 1 sata

Optical drive: Already have 1 ide dvd burner

Soundcard: Already bought a xfi xtreme music

Other pci card: Already have a tv tuner

Case: This is something I'll probably buy locally so I haven't decided yet.

So mainly I just want suggestions on the videocard and whether or not the other parts I picked out are any good. Thanks in advance for your help.

More about : order parts questions

August 6, 2006 11:01:22 PM

Personally, as a tech nerd :) , I would say that the RAM is excellent - the same I'm getting for my new game rig, also, If you are not going to game hard, I suggest an X1800 XT (around $225) - It performs on par with a 7900 GT, and has better visual quality (AA+HDR).

A good board would be the Gigabyte DS3, but if you're not on a budget - the Asus P5W Deluxe.
August 7, 2006 12:57:44 AM

MSI boards aren't quite as good as other brands like Asus or Gigabyte. If you can afford it, go for a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Abit AB9 Pro, or Asus P5B. The AB9 Pro is the only one of these 3 which hasn't gotten confirmation of native Conroe support.

If you're going the ATI route, switch to this one from Sapphire. Staying on that note, you will also want to swap the power supply for this Antec Truepower 550W

The Smartpower 500W will be enough if you go with the 7900GT, but not if you go for the X1900XT. Again sticking on the note, I would actually suggest you stay with the Smartpower 500W, and drop the video card to an eVGA Geforce 7600GT and then wait for the DX 10 cards to arrive around the time Vista gets here.
!